This Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:59:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  This Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52
Poll
Question: Name?
The Chronicles of Tory Scum

This Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy

This Once Dignified Party of Ours

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: This Wretched Hive Of Scum And Villainy  (Read 55631 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1225 on: March 26, 2024, 11:57:02 AM »

Quite genuinely well-liked in his constituency (as opposed to the, much more common, 'believed he was well-liked in his constituency'), so his absence from the ballot paper will have some sort of effect locally.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #1226 on: March 26, 2024, 12:09:20 PM »

Possibly the MP whose surname is the most similar to his constituency. On at least one occasion I've heard another MP mistakenly refer to him as the 'Member for Halfon' in the House of Commons.

Still not as good as Hooley for Heeley.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1227 on: March 26, 2024, 03:40:28 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2024, 03:55:57 PM by Torrain »

Jonathan Gullis has been appointed Deputy Chair of the Conservative Party, proving that nothing has been learnt from the Lee Anderson debacle.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #1228 on: March 26, 2024, 04:57:40 PM »

Jonathan Gullis has been appointed Deputy Chair of the Conservative Party, proving that nothing has been learnt from the Lee Anderson debacle.
Going from a NUM striking miner to a school union rep, not exactly the traditional background of those occupying the upper echelons of the Conservative Party. Both solid culture warriors of course (moderates with those backgrounds wouldn’t be Conservative Party members).
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1229 on: March 26, 2024, 05:03:30 PM »

Tim Montgomerie reckons that Sunak might be ready to call it quits. As the founder of ConHome, he should on paper be good at assessing internal Tory politics, but he's always been a bit of an eccentric.

EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #1230 on: March 27, 2024, 05:22:28 AM »

I think there is a distinction. Gullis is thick (probably more so than Anderson) but more loyal to the Conservative Party as a concept.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #1231 on: March 27, 2024, 05:42:37 AM »

Going from a NUM striking miner to a school union rep, not exactly the traditional background of those occupying the upper echelons of the Conservative Party. Both solid culture warriors of course (moderates with those backgrounds wouldn’t be Conservative Party members).
Gullis described his classroom personality as "a mixture of Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg", and said that he "liked to play the character of an English gent".[5] Gullis says that he was "nicknamed Grumpy Gullis – because I never smiled".[5] Upon being elected to Parliament Gullis left work at Fairfax Academy, and he described the pupils he was responsible for as head of year as "probably happy to see me go".[5]
I’d sure love to have him as a teacher! Not. How do the Tories consistently find such weird personalities!?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #1232 on: March 27, 2024, 05:49:29 AM »

Possibly the MP whose surname is the most similar to his constituency. On at least one occasion I've heard another MP mistakenly refer to him as the 'Member for Halfon' in the House of Commons.

Still not as good as Hooley for Heeley.

What about Christian Wakeford MP and Wakefield CC both switching from Conservative to Labour in 2022? Both in the [may God forgive me for uttering this word] "Red Wall" as well.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #1233 on: March 27, 2024, 09:31:29 AM »

Quite genuinely well-liked in his constituency (as opposed to the, much more common, 'believed he was well-liked in his constituency'), so his absence from the ballot paper will have some sort of effect locally.

He quite successfully built up an image of himself that has led people to assume he is an epitome of working-class Essex conservatism, even though in terms of his own personal background he is privately-educated and from Hampstead.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1234 on: March 27, 2024, 09:43:35 AM »

Tim Montgomerie reckons that Sunak might be ready to call it quits. As the founder of ConHome, he should on paper be good at assessing internal Tory politics, but he's always been a bit of an eccentric.

Sorry to be "that" person (no, not really) but they aren't actually *cabinet* ministers, no?

And as for TM, he called for Sunak to resign just last week so maybe isn't the most objective on this.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1235 on: March 28, 2024, 08:07:39 AM »

Just rereading my post (been busy this week), and wanted to clarity, I don’t have a problem with the party trying to show they’ve changed, and their coalition can include people with those backgrounds.

But there’s always this undertone, that they think the said MPs are a translator for voters, a reflection of the entire populace of that area. And the fact they’ve picked two buffoons who’ve built their brand on casual racism and yelling about ‘woke’ just feels patronising.

I do also agree that Gullis is more of a party man than Anderson was. He definitely seems to move with 'the herd', as Johnson would put it - resigning in protest against Johnson, joining Truss' leadership campaign, then supporting Johnson's October leadership bid.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #1236 on: March 28, 2024, 12:56:34 PM »

Just rereading my post (been busy this week), and wanted to clarity, I don’t have a problem with the party trying to show they’ve changed, and their coalition can include people with those backgrounds.

But there’s always this undertone, that they think the said MPs are a translator for voters, a reflection of the entire populace of that area. And the fact they’ve picked two buffoons who’ve built their brand on casual racism and yelling about ‘woke’ just feels patronising.
Oh to be clear I wasn’t accusing you of snobbery or anything like that. Both Anderson and Gullis are not representative of their electorates even if people at the top of the Tory party seem to think they are.
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #1237 on: March 28, 2024, 06:26:01 PM »

Oh to be clear I wasn’t accusing you of snobbery or anything like that. Both Anderson and Gullis are not representative of their electorates even if people at the top of the Tory party seem to think they are.

Anderson kinda is, Ashfield is a weird place.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1238 on: March 31, 2024, 06:03:13 AM »

I want Truss to go away as much as the next guy. But when she does, I hope she keeps posting.

I mean, who else is going to wish us a Happy Easter from outside a semi-demolished church, while holding a terrified lamb with a grin that suggests she’s off to turn it into stew. No one does it like her.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1239 on: March 31, 2024, 06:38:48 AM »

So, the church was gutted by a serious fire in (oh lol) 2022.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1240 on: March 31, 2024, 09:21:34 AM »

I want Truss to go away as much as the next guy. But when she does, I hope she keeps posting

<insert your own "lamb to the slaughter" political metaphor here>
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #1241 on: March 31, 2024, 01:57:24 PM »

I see Liz Truss has devoted herself to the ovine business, making use of her experience with pork markets.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1242 on: April 01, 2024, 05:42:20 AM »

She was actually chanting "mint sauce"?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1243 on: April 02, 2024, 08:15:25 AM »

Very awkward Sunak interview with BBC Radio Tees today. He's told that there'll be some audience questions, but that they'd start with the most commonly submitted one, which was a demand to know when the election was going to be held.

Sunak does this nervous fake laugh for an uncomfortably long time, clumsily evades twice and then goes back to laughing again. The interviewer asks why he's laughing at the audience, and he gives this very dismissive "that's not how we do thing" answer.

And then, in a follow-up listener question, they tried once more ("Please ask the PM why he hasn't got the guts to call an election right now?"), at which point, he told the interviewer that people aren't interested in the date of the election, despite that being the number-one issue of the audience this morning.

He's just not able to respond to a set of facts that contradict his line, even if it makes him look like a liar - or just patently silly. Unless they can sharpen him up, the gaffe potential, once parliament dissolves and all eyes are on him, is going to be off the charts.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1244 on: April 03, 2024, 10:02:20 AM »

Even after the memorable Truss experience, the suits around Sunak still seem to have thought this would be easy for him - when in fact he would be much better off being fed long hops by Laura K.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1245 on: April 04, 2024, 05:49:40 AM »

Truss, Jenkyns and Francois all spotted at Farage's 60th.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68731273
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1246 on: April 04, 2024, 06:03:23 AM »

The cream of the crop eh.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1247 on: April 04, 2024, 07:18:23 AM »

Bit old to have clowns in to entertain the guests, isn't he?
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #1248 on: April 04, 2024, 08:24:01 AM »

The most shocking thing to me about this story is that Farage is somehow still only 60.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1249 on: April 04, 2024, 08:44:35 AM »

The most shocking thing to me about this story is that Farage is somehow still only 60.

He looks significantly older than my father who is, well, significantly older than him.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies