Opinion of the person who said this.....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 10:37:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the person who said this.....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: [see below post]...Words of a ....
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Opinion of the person who said this.....  (Read 6887 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2006, 11:54:24 AM »

"I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races. I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will ever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. ... And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race."
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 12:00:24 PM »

Horrible Person.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 12:04:15 PM »

A HORRIBLE person.... States, I reccomend to this person, and you in a way, to join the twenty-first century. Rascisim such as this is an awful thing. If you spend all of your energy worrying about and hating someone for the color of thier skin, then I would ask one to consider psychological treatment. Hatred isn't healthy, and it shortens your life.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 12:05:33 PM »

Let me guess... was it said by a certain U.S President in the mid 19th century or so?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 12:10:11 PM »

I don't believe in tilting the system to keep the black man down.  Just let nature take it's course.  And I'm pretty sure that's Abe Lincoln, right?  Or else States wouldn't be posting it.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 04:04:15 PM »

I don't believe in tilting the system to keep the black man down.  Just let nature take it's course.  And I'm pretty sure that's Abe Lincoln, right?  Or else States wouldn't be posting it.

Yeah, but don't you favor affirmative action to bring the white man down?  There will never be racially equality as long as minorities feel they deserve "pay-back".  I never owned a slave, my relatives came from France and Italy in the early 1900s, but I am paying the price of slave owners.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 04:06:14 PM »

Hah, I recognize that quote.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 04:16:30 PM »

Neither. A Machiavellian Opportunist.

But yeah, anyone who thinks Lincoln is an exemplification of freedom truely follows a revisionist form of history. Lincoln deserves commendation for saving this country, but he should not be lauded on the methods he used to complete that objective.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 05:31:03 PM »

Yeah, but don't you favor affirmative action to bring the white man down?  There will never be racially equality as long as minorities feel they deserve "pay-back".  I never owned a slave, my relatives came from France and Italy in the early 1900s, but I am paying the price of slave owners.

You should do some research on my stance on affirmative action if you plan to attack me on it.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 05:40:52 PM »

You should do some research on my stance on affirmative action if you plan to attack me on it.

UpWithDaHacks do research or try and take part in a discussion without generalizing? No way!
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 08:35:34 PM »

You guys fell right into the trap that States set.....Tongue

Every person must be evaluated in the context of his times.  While that quote sounds terrible today, at the time it was given, it was quite a bit more 'progressive' than what most other people thought.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 08:40:36 PM »

Here comes Dazzle with the apologist excuses for Lincoln...suprising. Roll Eyes
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 09:11:57 PM »

Here comes Dazzle with the apologist excuses for Lincoln...suprising. Roll Eyes

States, with all respect, you're trying to have it both ways here.

Why would you think I would oppose Lincoln?  I am after all a Yankee -- a conservative one, but a Yankee nonetheless.

I'm not a northern elitist who thinks southerners are inferior, but I favor the northern view in the civil war.

As far as your own position, are you really saying that you dislike Lincoln because he wasn't progressive enough on racial issues?  Coupled with some of the other stuff you've said, that really isn't believable.  That would be like me not liking Hillary Clinton because she isn't liberal enough....Tongue
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 09:15:55 PM »

No, but most people here try and debate what he said for the sheer fact that it would "ruin" the "perfect" image of Lincoln that was rammed down their throat in the school system. They've already started that trash at my daughters school and of course, I, as a concerned parent have begun to ease her into the truths of the worst president this country has ever seen.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 09:28:03 PM »

No, but most people here try and debate what he said for the sheer fact that it would "ruin" the "perfect" image of Lincoln that was rammed down their throat in the school system. They've already started that trash at my daughters school and of course, I, as a concerned parent have begun to ease her into the truths of the worst president this country has ever seen.

Nobody is as perfect as they teach.  Myths are a part of our history, but as we become more mature, we realize that flawed people can do good things.  We are all flawed in any case.

I am not an unrealistic politically correct person.  I understand that Lincoln didn't really believe in racial equality, only that slavery was an extreme affront to what our constitution said.  For his time, that was enough.

Do you think it would be better if the south had seceded?  If that had happened, the confederacy wouldn't have stayed together either.  Once the precedent of secession had been established, it would have been used again whenever there was an inevitable disagreement.  And today, the US would be a series of weak nations.  The consequences for the world would have been catastrophic.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 09:41:28 PM »

Secession was considered as an acceptable alternative for a state to take Dazzleman. Abolishonists, Northerners and Southerners all had pretty much the same sentiments on the issue. It was even taught at West Point that it was the legal right of a state to secede. The radicals of the time were the ones who opposed secession and wanted to force states back into the union by point of bayonet. You nor I can actually ever know what the consequences of secession would have been. I don't think it would have been as catostrophic as you say it would have been, hell it may have been beneficial in the long run. Even Thomas Jefferson said "A little revolution now and then is a good thing; the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 09:43:28 PM »

Actually come to think of it, I'd prefer it if the Confederacy did win. I wouldn't have to live in the same country as them anymore.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 10:35:53 PM »

Once again--I agree with you.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 10:36:35 PM »

UpWithDaHacks do research or try and take part in a discussion without generalizing? No way!

What research do you need on affirmative action?  it's pretty simple.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 10:37:24 PM »

HP
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 10:37:48 PM »

downwiththeleft attacked me for my position of affirmative action, but he failed to realize that I oppose it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2006, 01:21:33 AM »

downwiththeleft attacked me for my position of affirmative action, but he failed to realize that I oppose it.

My bad--I thought you meant researching affirmative action.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2006, 02:18:24 AM »

but I am paying the price of slave owners.

No, you're not.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2006, 02:22:26 AM »

How is he not.  With Restitution demanded by blacks and blacks citing slavery as the cause behind their mainstream intelectual shortfallings, we are paying the price.  Just curious, Ebowed, how old are you?
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2006, 02:37:51 AM »

With Restitution demanded by blacks and blacks citing slavery as the cause behind their mainstream intelectual shortfallings, we are paying the price.

Oh, boo-hoo. Us whites are so oppressed by the black man and his cruel demands for "restitution". Sad

And that's intellectual, racist.   
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies