should parental consent be required for abortions?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 01:28:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  should parental consent be required for abortions?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: should parental consent be required for abortions?  (Read 8729 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2006, 11:20:13 AM »
« edited: September 01, 2006, 11:35:55 AM by WalterMitty »

this topic has probably been done a thousand times, but i didnt feel like searching...

as for the question, parental consent should not be required.  although obviously, in the ideal situation, parents would be involved in the decision.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 11:31:11 AM »

Your sentence contains a double negative, although given who you are and the context I believe that you meant "parental consent should not be necessary".
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 11:32:41 AM »

As long as the kids is a minor, the answer is yes.  The only time parental consent would not be required is if the father impregnated his daughter.  Of course at that point, he would be under arrest and the mother would not be in a sound mind to make such a decision.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 11:35:30 AM »

Your sentence contains a double negative, although given who you are and the context I believe that you meant "parental consent should not be necessary".

that is correct.

i will correct my post.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 11:45:53 AM »

It's no business of the unborn child's grandparents.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 11:59:13 AM »

If she's a minor it sure is!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 12:10:05 PM »

No.

OTOH, we maybe do need something to ensure that a minor who does not want to abort isn't pressurized into a different decision by her parents either.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 12:26:14 PM »

Notification should
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 12:30:28 PM »

If any kind of surgery is involved, the parents should know about it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 01:21:04 PM »

If any kind of surgery is involved, the parents should know about it.

Notification is different from consent.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 06:13:48 PM »

no, its the decision of the parent of the child and none other, including their grandparents
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 07:04:23 PM »

No - whether or not to have a child is a decision that affects the parent much more so than the grandparents.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 07:04:34 PM »

Yes, parental consent should be required for minors to have an abortion.

In extreme circumstances, perhaps a judge could waive parental consent, but it makes no sense for abortion, a very serious procedure, to be the only procedure that a minor can get without parental consent.  You can't even give a minor an aspirin without parental consent; why should an aspirin be regarded as more serious than an abortion?  That anybody would argue this with a straight face shows the true silliness of the pro-abortion movement.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 11:02:00 PM »

As long as the kids is a minor, the answer is yes.  The only time parental consent would not be required is if the father impregnated his daughter.  Of course at that point, he would be under arrest and the mother would not be in a sound mind to make such a decision.

^^^^^^^^^^^ (although all abortions should be illegal in my mind, but until then this is good)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2006, 01:00:14 AM »

In extreme circumstances, perhaps a judge could waive parental consent, but it makes no sense for abortion, a very serious procedure, to be the only procedure that a minor can get without parental consent.  You can't even give a minor an aspirin without parental consent; why should an aspirin be regarded as more serious than an abortion?  That anybody would argue this with a straight face shows the true silliness of the pro-abortion movement.

Agreed.  This is the exactly the same argument that a minor should be able to get a nose job on their own, with no parental consent (or a court order).
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2006, 01:13:36 AM »

No parental consent or notification should be necessary for a minor seeking an abortion.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2006, 01:41:10 AM »

No parental consent or notification should be necessary for a minor seeking an abortion.

why?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2006, 01:41:28 AM »

In extreme circumstances, perhaps a judge could waive parental consent, but it makes no sense for abortion, a very serious procedure, to be the only procedure that a minor can get without parental consent.  You can't even give a minor an aspirin without parental consent; why should an aspirin be regarded as more serious than an abortion?  That anybody would argue this with a straight face shows the true silliness of the pro-abortion movement.

First off, I disagree with the notion that there is a "pro-abortion" movement, at least one comprised of any more than a very few nutjobs. No one in mainstream politics is in favor of abortion.

In addition, I don't think many people here or anywhere are arguing that minors shouldn't be able to have an aspirin on their own but yet should be allowed to have an abortion, so it's not an inconsistent argument. The fact that US law may currently contain this inconsistency is therefore irrelevant to the debate, and the assumption that we have to make abortion law conform to aspirin law seems to be a bit flawed as the opposite could just as easily occur.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2006, 01:52:55 AM »

First off, I disagree with the notion that there is a "pro-abortion" movement, at least one comprised of any more than a very few nutjobs. No one in mainstream politics is in favor of abortion.

In addition, I don't think many people here or anywhere are arguing that minors shouldn't be able to have an aspirin on their own but yet should be allowed to have an abortion, so it's not an inconsistent argument. The fact that US law may currently contain this inconsistency is therefore irrelevant to the debate, and the assumption that we have to make abortion law conform to aspirin law seems to be a bit flawed as the opposite could just as easily occur.

Correct, most people aren't pro-abortion, but they are anti-pro-life.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2006, 02:15:58 AM »

why?

It's a matter of priorities.  We live in a society where a 17 year old girl is not mature enough to make a decision about keeping a pregnancy on her own, but she is mature enough to bear and raise a child and, depending on the area of the country, be forced into a shotgun wedding or similar situation.  That said, a minor who got pregnant to begin with was probably more likely to live in an environment where it was more difficult to obtain birth control.  If a girl's parents think condom use is murder, how likely is it that they're going to let her get an abortion?  Of course, there are girls who were simply lazy or uncaring, but even then I don't think the government ought to be legislating responsibility for these girls by putting them in potentially difficult situations.  I'm not arguing that parents should have nothing to do with the abortion process; I'm simply arguing against mandating parental oversight over the matter.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2006, 02:20:26 AM »

why?

It's a matter of priorities.  We live in a society where a 17 year old girl is not mature enough to make a decision about keeping a pregnancy on her own, but she is mature enough to bear and raise a child and, depending on the area of the country, be forced into a shotgun wedding or similar situation.  That said, a minor who got pregnant to begin with was probably more likely to live in an environment where it was more difficult to obtain birth control.  If a girl's parents think condom use is murder, how likely is it that they're going to let her get an abortion?  Of course, there are girls who were simply lazy or uncaring, but even then I don't think the government ought to be legislating responsibility for these girls by putting them in potentially difficult situations.  I'm not arguing that parents should have nothing to do with the abortion process; I'm simply arguing against mandating parental oversight over the matter.

So if a girl can't handle having the baby, don't have sex--is it that hard?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2006, 02:24:14 AM »

No.  Mitty & Ebowed summed it up pretty well
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2006, 02:26:02 AM »

No.  Mitty & Ebowed summed it up pretty well

No what?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2006, 02:27:45 AM »

why?

So if a girl can't handle having the baby, don't have sex--is it that hard?

Do we live in an optimal society where things were that simple??

Their is a reason why the south tends to have higher teenage pregnancy rates than the north especially the northeast.  Its because of that exact like of thinking and the absitence only minded type of sex education (well calling absitence only sex education is an oxymoron & complete farce)

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2006, 02:28:37 AM »

The answer to the original question......

Parental Consent should not be mandatory.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies