which president was more liberal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:28:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  which president was more liberal
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: .....
nixon

clinton

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: which president was more liberal  (Read 3630 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2006, 09:10:36 PM »

discuss.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 07:30:09 AM »

In terms of policies or general viewpoints? (Nixon on the first, Bubba on the second).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 12:25:02 PM »

In terms of policies or general viewpoints? (Nixon on the first, Bubba on the second).

^^^^
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 03:45:15 PM »

Nixon was a conservative who governed as a liberal. Clinton was a liberal who governed as a conservative. Frankly, I'll take the former any day of the week.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 04:49:29 AM »

Clinton governed as a conservative partly because the Senate didn't give him much of a choice after the 1994 elections. Remember his plans to nationalise health care?
kashifsakhan
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 04:43:25 PM »

Clinton governed as a conservative partly because the Senate didn't give him much of a choice after the 1994 elections. Remember his plans to nationalise health care?

Thats true. He never really got to do much because the last 6 years of his presidency was just a train of scandals.
kashifsakhan
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 02:24:08 PM »

forgot to vote.... Clinton definitely.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 06:06:59 AM »

Thats true. He never really got to do much because the last 6 years of his presidency was just a train of scandals.

Yeah, plus the Republicans controlled the Senate after '94.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 06:20:39 AM »

Yes, but after that he swung far to the right and embraced the congressional GOP agenda, albeit without some of their nuttier ideas.

I'm mildly amazed that he couldn't even break 50 percent in 1996. That should have been a resounding victory on the level of 1956, even with Perot in the race.
kashifsakhan
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 05:56:15 PM »

Yes, but after that he swung far to the right and embraced the congressional GOP agenda, albeit without some of their nuttier ideas.

I'm mildly amazed that he couldn't even break 50 percent in 1996. That should have been a resounding victory on the level of 1956, even with Perot in the race.

I think the reason for him not breaking 50% in 1996 was due to the scandals, plus the fact that due to the GOP controlled congress, he didnt manage to get alot done.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 01:36:56 PM »

I think the reason for him not breaking 50% in 1996 was due to the scandals, plus the fact that due to the GOP controlled congress, he didnt manage to get alot done.

Turnout was a big issue.  Everyone knew Clinton was going to win, so nobody turned out to vote.
kashifsakhan
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 08:44:41 PM »

Turnout was a big issue.  Everyone knew Clinton was going to win, so nobody turned out to vote.

Thats true.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 03:04:03 AM »

definitely clinton.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2006, 09:40:18 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2006, 09:43:31 PM by Nym90 »

Nixon was a conservative who governed as a liberal. Clinton was a liberal who governed as a conservative. Frankly, I'll take the former any day of the week.

Maybe, but you have to consider Nixon's attitude that he was totally above the law and that the executive branch should basically be able to do whatever it wants. That in and of itself makes him far worse than Clinton overall, even though Nixon's policies themselves weren't really that bad.

Both Presidents largely or in the case of Nixon completely faced Congresses controlled by the opposite party, so that made both of them more moderate than they likely would've been if their own party had complete control. Both had to be pragmatic and compromise in order to get anything accomplished.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 09:42:15 PM »

I would hardly say he "embraced" the GOP agenda. He vetoed quite a lot of legislation, but he did show quite a willingness to compromise which was pretty much a political necessity and reality in that environment.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2006, 01:38:01 AM »

The last Dem to crack 50% was Carter in 1976, before that, LBJ in'64; then you must go back to FDR for consecutive 50+% for a Dem.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2006, 06:08:40 PM »

Nixon. He oversaw the passage of major envrionmental reforms and he appointed relatively moderate justices.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies