California Imposes Greenhouse Gas Emissions Limits
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:45:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  California Imposes Greenhouse Gas Emissions Limits
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California Imposes Greenhouse Gas Emissions Limits  (Read 792 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 30, 2006, 07:24:54 PM »

Limits Are Set on Emissions in California

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 30, 2006
Filed at 7:13 p.m. ET

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) -- California would become the first state to impose a limit on all greenhouse gas emissions, including those from industrial plants, under a landmark deal reached Wednesday by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and legislative Democrats.

The agreement marks a clear break with the Bush administration and puts California on a path to reducing its emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases by an estimated 25 percent by 2020.

The bill still needs lawmakers' approval, but that appears likely, given that Democrats control the Legislature.

The deal gives Schwarzenegger a key environmental victory as he seeks re-election this fall.

''The success of our system will be an example for other states and nations to follow as the fight against climate change continues,'' Schwarzenegger said in a statement.

The bill would require the state's major industries -- such as utility plants, oil and gas refineries, and cement kilns -- to reduce their emissions of the pollutants widely believed to contribute to global warming.

A key mechanism driving the reductions would be a market program allowing businesses to buy, sell and trade emission credits with other companies.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 04:12:16 PM »

I love you, California!

"The whole world has been watching to see whether California passes this bill"

It doesn't matter really what the US does in this regard. China and India are contributing or will be contributing a far far greater amount of greenhouse gases then the US in the near future.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 01:46:08 AM »

I love you, California!

It doesn't matter really what the US does in this regard. China and India are contributing or will be contributing a far far greater amount of greenhouse gases then the US in the near future.

True, which is another big reason why we need to cut back dramatically on trade with these countries until they clean up their act (pun intended Smiley).

In any event, I do believe the US needs to lead by example as well, and I strongly support this legislation. In the long run it will be beneficial to the economy by encouraging alternative energy sources which would eventually be necessary anyway, not to mention that sound environmental policy helps directly spur many parts of the economy such as tourism, outdoor recreation, and helps contribute to quality of life which helps for areas such as entrepreneurialism.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 02:05:47 AM »

I love you, California!

True, which is another big reason why we need to cut back dramatically on trade with these countries until they clean up their act (pun intended Smiley).

In any event, I do believe the US needs to lead by example as well, and I strongly support this legislation. In the long run it will be beneficial to the economy by encouraging alternative energy sources which would eventually be necessary anyway, not to mention that sound environmental policy helps directly spur many parts of the economy such as tourism, outdoor recreation, and helps contribute to quality of life which helps for areas such as entrepreneurialism.

I'm neutral on these topics really, but I see no harm in this law.  If the U.S. wants to lead the way, go ahead.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 03:17:28 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2006, 03:26:11 AM by jfern »

We've got a problem to deal with.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/09/01/MNGBLKTIDU1.DTL

I don't know about the House, but in the CA Senate, it was a total party line vote. Except for Schwarzenegger, the Republican party is a bunch of anti-science extremists who claim there is no global warming. Republicans don't give a flying rats ass about security here.

There is some sort of agreement in the north-east, but not as major.
http://www.rggi.org/
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 03:19:36 AM »

I love you, California!

The US still outputs far more than those two countries combined.
http://www.carbonplanet.com/home/country_emissions.php
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 07:28:14 AM »

I love you, California!

The US still outputs far more than those two countries combined.
http://www.carbonplanet.com/home/country_emissions.php

For now, yes, but in five years? And it doesn't matter anyhow, global warming is mostly liberal hype anyhow.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies