Opinion of Ryan Bilger
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:27:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Ryan Bilger
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 6

Author Topic: Opinion of Ryan Bilger  (Read 648 times)
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2021, 11:33:00 PM »

Dudes been getting some backlash recently

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/outsider.com/news/entertainment/jeopardy-fans-slam-tournament-of-champions-contestant-ryan-bilger-smug-cocky/amp/
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 10:59:48 PM »

I've known Ryan for six years now, which is a startling reminder for me of the passage of time. I'm happy to see him whenever our paths cross, and I imagine he'd say the same for me. I haven't seen him recently (well, nobody's seen much of anyone recently), but back when I lived in the DC area I often would. Ryan's a very nice person and one of the most competent people I know; he did a great job setting up a quizbowl program with minimal assistance as a freshman at Gettysburg College (the Gettysburg bus was a familiar sight at tournaments after that) and I understand that he's done the same at West Virginia University as a graduate student. I've never been especially interested in the Civil War, but Ryan certainly cares more and knows far more about the Civil War than anyone I know, and his enthusiasm is contagious.

I don't quite understand why a random guy I know is getting a poll about him on the US Election Atlas Forum, but if he's making the weird online Jeopardy fandom mad, then all the better!
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 11:31:53 PM »

HP for making me actively dislike watching Jeopardy for the first time basically ever. I mean seriously, the chest bump? "GoINg iN foR thE kiLL?" Smugly snorting about how he's a genius when it comes to US history and such? Just EXTREMELY cringeworthy and insufferable. Not only was it unsportsmanlike, it was just downright embarrassing. The entire episode I was feeling nothing but secondhand cringe on his behalf. I would have MUCH rather lost with dignity than win like that if I ever went on Jeopardy. It was like watching an extremely nerdy Trump or something, very bizarre.

Maybe he's a decent guy normally, but if that's the way he acts on national TV... yikes. Nobody else I've ever seen on Jeopardy has been anywhere close to as obnoxious. If he was coked up or something, or just extremely nervous and pumped with adrenaline, maybe I could forgive it. And maybe he won't be so bad in upcoming episodes. But what I saw... that sure as hell was something, and not something pleasant at all.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 11:36:09 PM »

I've met Ryan Bilger a few times, and I would rate him an FF for the reasons Xahar said. Sure he can be a bit overzealous sometimes, but I think that largely speaks to his enthusiasm for certain topics.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 11:48:47 PM »

I've known Ryan for six years now, which is a startling reminder for me of the passage of time. I'm happy to see him whenever our paths cross, and I imagine he'd say the same for me. I haven't seen him recently (well, nobody's seen much of anyone recently), but back when I lived in the DC area I often would. Ryan's a very nice person and one of the most competent people I know; he did a great job setting up a quizbowl program with minimal assistance as a freshman at Gettysburg College (the Gettysburg bus was a familiar sight at tournaments after that) and I understand that he's done the same at West Virginia University as a graduate student. I've never been especially interested in the Civil War, but Ryan certainly cares more and knows far more about the Civil War than anyone I know, and his enthusiasm is contagious.

I don't quite understand why a random guy I know is getting a poll about him on the US Election Atlas Forum, but if he's making the weird online Jeopardy fandom mad, then all the better!

I've met Ryan Bilger a few times, and I would rate him an FF for the reasons Xahar said. Sure he can be a bit overzealous sometimes, but I think that largely speaks to his enthusiasm for certain topics.

OK, how the hell do two people here from the West know this dude from PA/WV exactly? What's going on here? I just gotta ask.

And second of all, again, I don't doubt he may well be a decent guy in person. But he simply DID NOT come across as likable on yesterday's show at all. There could be reasons for that beyond simply being an HP, granted, but I really fail to see how you can't concede that it just was not a good look unless you are seriously blinded by personal bias. There is a reason the dude is being blasted by Jeopardy viewers harder than probably any other contestant I've ever seen before. I mean, the man was going up against Jason, literally one of the best Jeopardy contestants of all-time, and he smugly treated it like it was a walk in the park to steamroll over him. That in itself is disrespectful to Jason and to long-time fans of the show, but beyond that, it was just painful and unpleasant to watch even if you don't know the history.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 05:27:10 PM »

An ordinary person not worth rating as HP or FF. Seems like a decent guy that got a bit excited. If you had the chance to win $250,000, wouldn’t you be a bit excitable too?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies