How hundreds of “Jeopardy!” contestants talked themselves into a baseless conspiracy theory
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:45:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  How hundreds of “Jeopardy!” contestants talked themselves into a baseless conspiracy theory
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How hundreds of “Jeopardy!” contestants talked themselves into a baseless conspiracy theory  (Read 360 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2021, 04:13:37 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/16/business/media/jeopardy-hand-gesture-maga-conspiracy.html

Surprisingly excellent article from the NYT debunking the insanity about the “white supremacist” hand gesture from a couple weeks ago.

Shockingly, a lot of people on Twitter weren’t happy about it; look at the replies for a good laugh:

Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 04:23:22 PM »

Jeopardy contestants are disproportionately from the type of bubble that would freak out over something like this. I'm not surprised at all. You can know a lot of facts but not be smart in critical thinking.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 05:40:47 PM »

I’ve been blocked by at least 3 people on Twitter (which I almost never comment on) for debunking the absurdity of their witch hunt in this thread alone by the way. One even accused me of “misgendering” them before blocking because I erroneously assumed they were a “he” from their gender neutral name and profile pic.

My god, Twitter really is as bad as they say... Within 5 minutes every single trope about the insanity of woke Twitter came into full force and it became a hilarious parody of itself.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 06:27:40 PM »

I posted about it: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=443945.0

Aa i noted there the delusion of people looking for something here when there clearly isn't and keep insisting on it after the thorough debunkings is the same sort of reality denial Trump supporters engage in.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 06:32:27 PM »

Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 07:07:28 PM »

You know, when I read the title, I thought this was referring to the (equally baseless) claims that Ken Jennings and/or James Holzhauer threw their last games as champions to Nancy Zerg and Emma Boettcher.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 08:16:16 PM »

It was just the number 3. Case closed. All the Jeopardy contestants joining in on the witchhunt should be ashamed of themselves.

What was weird is all the people insisting that no one ever makes 3 like that, using the pinky instead of the index finger, but I usually do, since I have to hold down the pinky with the thumb, but making 3 like that requires much less effort since the index finger can stay down on it's own. Like people just assumed that their own gesture for 3 is the same way everyone does it...
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 10:08:00 AM »

Ugh, I hate people.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom