Why did Colorado shift so far to the left? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:37:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why did Colorado shift so far to the left? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why did Colorado shift so far to the left?  (Read 1780 times)
Literally Just a Contrarian
KyrstenSinemaFan
United States

« on: May 17, 2021, 11:53:35 AM »
« edited: May 17, 2021, 12:03:04 PM by Chuck Grassley/Kyrsten Sinema Stan »

I remember pre election when many people said Colorado would be within 10 and closer than New Mexico. I also remember people saying Virginia would vote to the left of CO, for instance (VA was D+10 and CO D+14-15).

However CO swung 9-10 points Democrat, and was a 14 point win for Biden. This is way more than anyone expected, and at this rate I think CO will vote to the left of many historically Dem states in the NE by the end of the decade.

Seriously, the only reason why that state isn’t D+20 is because of old school Republicans who are still hanging around in the suburbs in places like El Paso, Pueblo, and Douglas County, and GOP improvements among Hispanics, and also in Southern Colorado which probably helped stop the bleeding.

Was it really weed legalization or Bay Area Californians moving to the Denver area? If anyone can explain this, I’d be happy.
KyrstenSinemaFan
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 11:18:22 PM »

It's becoming Californiaized, there is also a lot of tech bros moving to Denver. A similar thing is happening in Texas. There is lots of ski resorts and outdoor recreation, which brings in lots of eco friendly types.

You’re right, but there are counter trends in Texas that seem to be favoring Republicans much more (Conservatives from CA moving in as well and not just techbros, Hispanic trends especially in the RGV, Houston and maybe SA potentially being maxed out for Dems.)

Colorado may have some similar trends but they aren’t as consequential in favor of the Republicans, partially because Texas is way larger than Colorado.
KyrstenSinemaFan
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 11:27:49 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2021, 11:32:21 PM by Chuck Grassley/Kyrsten Sinema Stan »

Colorado is something like the 3rd most college-educated state in the country, and the GOP has collapsed with college-educated voters in the Trump era.

I've said it before, but they really can't afford further slippage with this group. As the decade goes on, millennials and Gen Z will comprise a larger share of the electorate, and they are much more college-educated than older generations.

Gen Z actually isn’t as left wing as millennials are. However, college educated whites will be to the GOP what Hispanics will be to the Dems in the future- aka that one ex-rock solid demographic that trended heavily away from them.

I don’t think the GOP even needs to win college whites anymore to win, but they have to stop the bleeding.
KyrstenSinemaFan
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2021, 02:28:57 PM »

Gen Z actually isn’t as left wing as millennials are. However, college educated whites will be to the GOP what Hispanics will be to the Dems in the future- aka that one ex-rock solid demographic that trended heavily away from them.

What is this fantasy in conservative circles that 20 year olds despise GOP policies of destroying the environment, keeping the minimum wage low and enforcing hypocritical Evangelicalism any less than 30 year olds?

I read about it a lot on rags such as American Thinker and LifeZette, but it doesn't seem to be making much of an impact, and was certainly disproven by 2020 election exit polls.

Lmao, “exit polls” have horrible sample sizes.

Even liberal leaning exit polls show that 18-24 in 2020 voted 10 points to the right of 18-24 in 2008, however. Gen Z is not as left wing as millennials were in 2008.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies