BREAKING: Roe v. Wade might be overruled or severely weakened by SCOTUS (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:40:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Roe v. Wade might be overruled or severely weakened by SCOTUS (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Roe v. Wade might be overruled or severely weakened by SCOTUS  (Read 12083 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« on: May 17, 2021, 11:21:16 AM »

I'm fine with constitutional concealed carry and don't even see why that's controversial but overturning Roe would be pretty despicable. Probably gonna happen though.

The problem with constitutional right to concealed carry is that the vast majority of those who will avail themselves of it will be dangerously incompetent in their exercise of it.  It makes about as much objective sense as a constitutional right to impaired driving.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 11:23:26 AM »

I'm honestly increasingly beginning to believe this is a good thing. It would drive D turnout up and R turnout down for the midterms.

It's politically advantageous, but that doesn't make it good. Trump winning in 2016 was good for the democratic party's medium-term prospects, but it was terrible for the nation.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 11:25:50 AM »

I think you would see mass mobilisation of pro-choice Americans and a mass drain of demographic and economic drain from states where there would be default anti-choice legislation.

So, Ohio, West Virginia, Missouri, Iowa are doomed economically?

I think states with punitive abortion law will see both economic boycotts and a drain of young people. Women have much more social mobility than they did pre Roe.

'Big Pro-Life' is well connected and powerful but it is not popular. Repealing Roe ends the grift.

Watch for Handmaid-Red States to start taking action on that front. "Tried to leave the state for an abortion? Now you're a felon and can't leave the state." (I'm not saying it will be effective, but they'll try.)
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 11:55:07 PM »

Anyways, both morally and politically, I hope this passes. Abortion is a form of murder and should only be protected federally for very specific situations.

Murder is the unlawful killing of another human being. If abortion is legal, it is explicitly not murder.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 12:43:39 AM »

Anyways, both morally and politically, I hope this passes. Abortion is a form of murder and should only be protected federally for very specific situations.

Murder is the unlawful killing of another human being. If abortion is legal, it is explicitly not murder.

The state has no moral power to legalize abortion, just as it has no moral power to legalize any sort of human rights violations.

That's not how Western legal culture works.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 01:09:47 AM »

The state has no moral power to legalize abortion, just as it has no moral power to legalize any sort of human rights violations.

That's not how Western legal culture works.

We executed people for the Holocaust, which was also “legal.”

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies