BREAKING: Roe v. Wade might be overruled or severely weakened by SCOTUS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:20:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Roe v. Wade might be overruled or severely weakened by SCOTUS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Author Topic: BREAKING: Roe v. Wade might be overruled or severely weakened by SCOTUS  (Read 12085 times)
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2021, 08:56:21 AM »
« edited: May 17, 2021, 12:47:30 PM by ERM64man »

The Mississippi 15 week abortion case will be heard by SCOTUS. Although John Roberts opposes abortion, I would guess he voted to deny cert to avoid the spotlight.

Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 08:59:44 AM »

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 09:05:09 AM »

I'm fine with constitutional concealed carry and don't even see why that's controversial but overturning Roe would be pretty despicable. Probably gonna happen though.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 09:10:49 AM »

I'm fine with constitutional concealed carry and don't even see why that's controversial but overturning Roe would be pretty despicable. Probably gonna happen though.
There are also probably five votes for fetal personhood if such a case is heard. A hypothetical case on fetal personhood would probably be 5-4 with Roberts dissenting.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 09:10:54 AM »

Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 09:11:42 AM »

Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 09:12:09 AM »

The Mississippi 15 week abortion case will be heard by SCOTUS. Although John Roberts opposes abortion, I would guess he voted to deny cert to avoid the spotlight.

You should desensationalize the title a little bit. We don't know for sure yet how the court will rule, even if it's likely the court will go in one direction. Your title makes it sound like the court has already ruled in such a direction.

Maybe one of these works better:

"Supreme Court to hear Mississippi abortion case challenging Roe v. Wade"
"Supreme Court takes up major abortion case next term that could limit Roe v. Wade"
"Supreme Court To Consider Mississippi痴 Abortion Ban In Move That Could Challenge Roe V. Wade"
"Supreme Court will hear an abortion case that could undo Roe v. Wade"
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 09:12:41 AM »

Only people who voted for Hillary Clinton on 11/8/2016 get to complain if they overturn Roe v. Wade.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 09:18:58 AM »

What the hell was RBG thinking when she didn稚 retire in 2013 or 2014.  Obama should have kept asking her to retire until she gave up.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 09:20:09 AM »

I知 guessing Roberts wanted to wait after the 2022 midterm before hearing a major abortion case.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 09:20:44 AM »

You should desensationalize the title a little bit. We don't know for sure yet how the court will rule, even if it's likely the court will go in one direction. Your title makes it sound like the court has already ruled in such a direction.

Maybe one of these works better:

"Supreme Court to hear Mississippi abortion case challenging Roe v. Wade"
"Supreme Court takes up major abortion case next term that could limit Roe v. Wade"
"Supreme Court To Consider Mississippi痴 Abortion Ban In Move That Could Challenge Roe V. Wade"
"Supreme Court will hear an abortion case that could undo Roe v. Wade"

While it is a bit sensationalist, Stern notes that there's little reason to take the case other than overturning precedent since there have bene no split decisions among the circuit courts regarding the 15-week ban from MS.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 09:23:35 AM »

I also believe Roberts would want to wait for a circuit split to hear such a case.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 09:27:26 AM »

I'm honestly increasingly beginning to believe this is a good thing. It would drive D turnout up and R turnout down for the midterms.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 09:28:25 AM »

I'm honestly increasingly beginning to believe this is a good thing. It would drive D turnout up and R turnout down for the midterms.

And the women unable to get abortions in the meantime are just collateral damage?
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 09:29:26 AM »

Yes, it is. I seem to think Roberts voted to deny cert in a failed attempt to avoid boosting Democratic turnout.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2021, 09:30:51 AM »

If Roe v. Wade is overturned, what will happen? Do the states all revert to their original abortion laws?

What does the map look like?
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2021, 09:30:59 AM »

And the women unable to get abortions in the meantime are just collateral damage?

Which will do more long-term damage to the country? A few months of abortion being harder to get, or Republicans winning big in 2022?

Surely after 2010 we should all know the answer by now.

If Roe v. Wade is overturned, what will happen? Do the states all revert to their original abortion laws?

Basically, yes. Some states have "trigger laws" banning abortion that instantly go into effect if it is ever overturned.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 09:33:04 AM »

I think you would see mass mobilisation of pro-choice Americans and a mass drain of demographic and economic drain from states where there would be default anti-choice legislation.

I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 09:33:32 AM »

Which will do more long-term damage to the country? A few months of abortion being harder to get, or Republicans winning big in 2022?

Basically, yes. Some states have "trigger laws" banning abortion that instantly go into effect if it is ever overturned.
I think the GOP winning big does more long-term damage to the country.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2021, 09:35:38 AM »

I think you would see mass mobilisation of pro-choice Americans and a mass drain of demographic and economic drain from states where there would be default anti-choice legislation.

So, Ohio, West Virginia, Missouri, Iowa are doomed economically?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 09:36:45 AM »

It's going to be a lot longer than 3 months. It's not like a 55-47 senate or whatever can just overrule a Supreme Court decision. It will be years if not decades before abortion has a chance to become legal in every state again,  basically waiting to appoint enough justices to the Supreme Court who are willing to reverse the new precedent and getting the right case in front of them.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2021, 09:42:14 AM »

It's going to be a lot longer than 3 months. It's not like a 55-47 senate or whatever can just overrule a Supreme Court decision. It will be years if not decades before abortion has a chance to become legal in every state again,  basically waiting to appoint enough justices to the Supreme Court who are willing to reverse the new precedent and getting the right case in front of them.
I think every conservative justice except Roberts also supports fetal personhood.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2021, 09:43:58 AM »

Certainly not! Those states are doing fantastic now. Every day one of my friends at the bagel shop says, boy, I can't wait til my number comes up and I can move to Huntington, WV or Branson, MO!
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2021, 09:49:57 AM »

I think states with punitive abortion law will see both economic boycotts and a drain of young people. Women have much more social mobility than they did pre Roe.

'Big Pro-Life' is well connected and powerful but it is not popular. Repealing Roe ends the grift.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2021, 09:50:20 AM »

Well, I guess we're screwed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies