BREAKING: Roe v. Wade might be overruled or severely weakened by SCOTUS (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:30:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BREAKING: Roe v. Wade might be overruled or severely weakened by SCOTUS (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Roe v. Wade might be overruled or severely weakened by SCOTUS  (Read 12120 times)
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« on: May 17, 2021, 11:11:00 AM »

I'm honestly increasingly beginning to believe this is a good thing. It would drive D turnout up and R turnout down for the midterms.

And the women unable to get abortions in the meantime are just collateral damage?

But people keep on telling me that abortion bans have no affect on the rate of abortion!

If you want to be precise, rich women who want to get an abortion will get an abortion by travelling to California/Canada for the weekend (your pick) and paying out of pocket; while poor women will just have to suck it up and raise the child (or put him up for adoption, or do a dangerous illegal abortion)
Wrong. If a woman leaves Georgia to get an abortion in Virginia (the closest state with legal abortion), the woman can be charged with a crime.

Yeah... that wouldn’t hold up in court even if SCOTUS fully overturned Roe.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 11:22:23 AM »

I'm honestly increasingly beginning to believe this is a good thing. It would drive D turnout up and R turnout down for the midterms.

And the women unable to get abortions in the meantime are just collateral damage?

But people keep on telling me that abortion bans have no affect on the rate of abortion!

If you want to be precise, rich women who want to get an abortion will get an abortion by travelling to California/Canada for the weekend (your pick) and paying out of pocket; while poor women will just have to suck it up and raise the child (or put him up for adoption, or do a dangerous illegal abortion)
Wrong. If a woman leaves Georgia to get an abortion in Virginia (the closest state with legal abortion), the woman can be charged with a crime.
Yeah... that wouldn’t hold up in court even if SCOTUS fully overturned Roe.
This SCOTUS would uphold it 5-4.
You are incorrect.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 11:53:30 AM »

I think you would see mass mobilisation of pro-choice Americans and a mass drain of demographic and economic drain from states where there would be default anti-choice legislation.

So, Ohio, West Virginia, Missouri, Iowa are doomed economically?

I think states with punitive abortion law will see both economic boycotts and a drain of young people. Women have much more social mobility than they did pre Roe.

'Big Pro-Life' is well connected and powerful but it is not popular. Repealing Roe ends the grift.

Watch for Handmaid-Red States to start taking action on that front. "Tried to leave the state for an abortion? Now you're a felon and can't leave the state." (I'm not saying it will be effective, but they'll try.)

And if they leave, do you think they will try to kidnap people?
Yes. I think Georgia will try to abduct people if the blue state refuses to extradite.
Did you get that from your health law class?
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 11:44:34 PM »

There are already four definite votes for fetal personhood.
That’s not how courts work. The Court could overturn Roe and allow states to ban abortion, but they can’t force California to criminalize abortion.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 01:30:26 PM »

Here’s your daily preview of what will be increasingly common after abortion becomes illegal again.]https://www.wsaw.com/2021/02/13/green-co-teen-accused-of-killing-newborn-daughter-pleads-not-guilty/]Here’s your daily preview of what will be increasingly common after abortion becomes illegal again. A 16-year-old boy and his 14-year-old girlfriend get pregnant, hide it for nine months, and then she gives birth in a bathtub. They decide they can’t raise the child, so the boy then puts his infant daughter in his backpack, goes out into the woods, and shoots her twice.

That my friends is why abortion should be legal, unrestricted, and publicly funded.

Maybe fourteen-year-olds shouldn't be having unprotected sex in the first place (or ideally any sex at all)? It speaks more to how we need improved sex education in the U.S. rather than we need abortion to be available (even from a secular perspective).

I frankly don't have much sympathy for those children.
They made a decision then couldn't handle the consequences.
The people trying to ban abortion are the same people preventing comprehensive sex ed from being taught in school...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies