Megathread for Safe District Grifters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:46:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Megathread for Safe District Grifters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Opinion on these candidates?
FFs

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Megathread for Safe District Grifters  (Read 3272 times)
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2021, 05:19:05 PM »
« edited: May 29, 2021, 09:56:47 PM by Lone Star Politics »

Do democrats really think they have a chance here?

I am 100% sure this will be one of the most expensive congressional races in 2022, where Flowers will raise possibly tens upon tens of millions of dollars only to lose to MTG by over 50.

Thoughts? Will democrats try to prop these potential losers up the same way republicans propped up Kim Klacik and Joe Collins in 2020? Because I've got full confidence neither party will learn their lesson from 2020.

This race is safe R, period, no questions asked.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 05:28:13 PM »

The only people “trying” to flip this seat are dumb Twitter activists who probably have no idea what a partisan lean is. I’m also not convinced there were any major missteps in this regard in 2020, with Biden being very prudent to his house endorsements, especially compared to Trump’s seemingly impulsive endorsements of total no hope candidates.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 05:34:23 PM »

The D has a 0% chance of beating her but she could go down to a Steve King-Randy Feenstra scenario but even that seems unlikely tbh.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 05:50:38 PM »

I have a better question: Why are we even having this megathread?
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 09:43:07 AM »

If anyone donates to these people, we're fighting.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 10:05:38 AM »

The problem with Democrats is that they'll dump millions and millions of dollars into hopeless challenges against the token bad Republicans (McConnell, Graham, MTG, et al.) but then complain that people like AOC are actually hurting the party by challenging incumbents and trying to hold firmly entrenched, out of touch career politicians accountable. I don't know how many of the drum emoji twitter libs know a single policy position Amy McGrath held (other than "not Mitch McConnell") but I sure as hell know where AOC/Ayanna Pressley/Odessa Kelly/Cori Bush stand on the issues.

Let's ditch the hopeless campaigns in these safe red districts and actually try to win some races we actually have a chance at, hmm?
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 11:45:19 AM »

Is the national Democratic Party actually bothering to spend anything on this race? If it's just random people on Twitter who have no understanding of electoral politics, then I'm not too worried.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 11:47:16 AM »

Is the national Democratic Party actually bothering to spend anything on this race?

No way.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 12:32:20 PM »

Yeah, Dems should definitely forget about this foolish feat. Let's try to take out Batcrap Boebert in CO-03 first, as it's much, much, much more winnable than this pipe dream.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2021, 12:34:06 PM »

I beg of you, Resist Twitter, do not waste your money here!
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2021, 12:35:22 PM »

I think it's more likely than many think that some enterprising, arch-conservative state legislator successfully runs a primary campaign on "She's completely useless as a representative and we can do better". But if she makes it to the general, she is unbeatable.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2021, 04:05:56 PM »

I think it's more likely than many think that some enterprising, arch-conservative state legislator successfully runs a primary campaign on "She's completely useless as a representative and we can do better".

So King v. Feenstra, essentially.

I agree this is an underrated possibility in this district, but it may take a few cycles to actually manifest (like it did with King v. Feenstra). Though maybe not quite as long since MTG has packed even more notoriety in a shorter time period than King, which is crazy to think about given how insane he was.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2021, 10:43:37 PM »

Honestly, this is a genius PR move. Great to raise credibility to run for a statewide row office or other things like that. If I was him, I'd just ride the wave and turn my incoming campaign dollars and give them all to t̶o̶ ̶a̶d̶a̶m̶ ̶k̶i̶n̶z̶i̶n̶g̶e̶r̶'̶s̶ ̶s̶u̶p̶e̶r̶P̶A̶C̶ Congressional democrats.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2021, 05:56:04 AM »

Why? The answer is simple:  t h e   g r i f t.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2021, 01:05:36 PM »

Who is "Dems"?

Nobody with any relevance cares about this race.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2021, 01:10:00 PM »

Isn't this just the same as how Omar & AOC had right wingers who were basically funded by angry GOP donors who poured millions into the race.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2021, 09:39:34 PM »

lean d.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2021, 11:26:01 AM »

Why? The answer is simple:  t h e   g r i f t.

That reminds me of the guy who ran against Maxine Waters in 2018 and 2020.
Ron DeSantis enthusiast
FranciscoM97

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2021, 10:10:22 AM »

The Democrats really have no interest in unseating MTG, she is a gold mine for their campaigns.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2021, 12:19:01 PM »

You'd be shocked at how little the sort of people who get into this stuff on Twitter understand electoral politics. I remember a thread of people freaking out over Feinstein's challenger in 2018 and how we were going to possibly lose the seat with him or even dumber that he could "split the vote" and allow a Republican to win, with the tweets explaining what's obvious to us being ignored.

Luckily these type of people don't make up a significant number of Democratic donors (especially when measured by money donated) nor do they run the DCCC or whatever. And it's not like most of the people who donated to Amy McGrath or will donate to Marcus Flowers would donate the money to a random swing seat candidate instead if they didn't run.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2021, 09:59:30 PM »

Considering there seems to be too many of these people trying to unseat controversial incumbent reps in safe R/D districts, I think it's time to rebrand this megathread to discuss these grifters as a whole, rather than on different threads.

Including this one right here trying to unseat Paul Gosar in AZ-04 (R+22).
PAK Man

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2021, 08:31:45 AM »

The D has a 0% chance of beating her but she could go down to a Steve King-Randy Feenstra scenario but even that seems unlikely tbh.

And the only reason that worked is because McCarthy actually punished King by stripping him of committee assignments. And that only happened because King almost lost a Safe R seat. Only if MTG somehow almost manages to lose will you see McCarthy actually try to do something.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2021, 09:39:17 AM »

I'm more sympathetic to some of these candidates than others might be. What else are they meant to say if not 'I'm running to defeat x' - what are they running for if not to get themselves elected?

It's more the fault of other people, particularly in the media, that grifting has become an attractive option. It was pollsters, media and people like Cook that said that McGrath and Harrison had a chance - who can blame the candidates for latching on to that.
Wormless Gourd
cringenat
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2021, 09:42:23 AM »

Let's stop AOC in an Arizona district Biden won by 24 points. Chip in $26 right now.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2021, 08:34:36 PM »

I mean, I don't inherently consider people running in safe districts to be grifters just because they're asking for campaign money. The point of democracy is to allow people to feel like they have a voice among the candidates running that represent their views even if they inhabit a district hopelessly skewed towards the other party. It only enters grifting territory when the media hype and campaign revenues are drastically out of sync with the actual competitiveness of the district.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies