Andrew Yang is probably the most likely person to primary Harris in 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:53:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Andrew Yang is probably the most likely person to primary Harris in 2024
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Andrew Yang is probably the most likely person to primary Harris in 2024  (Read 2342 times)
Literally Just a Contrarian
KyrstenSinemaFan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 10, 2021, 11:06:16 AM »

I don’t get why people don’t see this.

1) Assuming he wins NY Mayor race, he’ll have high name recognition.

2) He’s unique in terms of his policies and has the “shtick” to differentiate himself from other Democrats.

3) He has strong appeal to millennials, Bernie Bros, and independents who might be fed up with the Biden regime.

4) He has working class appeal in the midwest most other Dems could literally only dream of (Mayor Pete has no WWC appeal).

5) He is libertarian when it comes to policing and social issues in general, which is one area where he contrasts starkly with someone like Harris.

If there’s anyone who will attempt to mount a major primary challenge in the primaries in 2024, it will be him. Mark my words.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 11:12:05 AM »

I'd vote for him.

All Aboard the Yang Gang Train!!

But he's going to get birthered to hell in the unlikely event he is on a national ticket. 
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 11:13:49 AM »

2) He’s unique in terms of his policies and has the “shtick” to differentiate himself from other Democrats.

3) He has strong appeal to millennials, Bernie Bros, and independents who might be fed up with the Biden regime.

4) He has working class appeal in the midwest most other Dems could literally only dream of (Mayor Pete has no WWC appeal).

5) He is libertarian when it comes to policing and social issues in general, which is one area where he contrasts starkly with someone like Harris.

If there’s anyone who will attempt to mount a major primary challenge in the primaries in 2024, it will be him. Mark my words.

Yang is not libertarian when it comes to policing, he doesn't support "defunding the police". He came against it yesterday....

NYC mayors don't become presidents....Yang has no political future if he is a NYC mayor.....it is a thankless job....period......
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 12:11:02 PM »

I don’t see him running after only ~18 months as Mayor.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 12:52:18 PM »

Andrew has little support amongst black people and older whites. Together, these groups make up about half of the active democratic electorate and I don't think any candidate since Mcgovern has ever won a dem primary without getting at least one of these two groups (Obama lost white seniors but won blacks while Mondale and Dukakis lost the vote of black people but won white seniors).

He'd be done on arrival.
LostFellow
LostHerro

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 01:14:39 PM »

Is there any evidence for this commonly stated claim? Just because Yang has ads with “WWC midwestern truckers concern about automation” doesn’t mean actual electoral strength. Going by the 2020 primary polls, Yang’s best demographic by far was young people (18-29). And while Yang may have appeal some subset of young wwc midwesterners, but democrats seemed to do fine with that demographic in 2020, so I don’t know if there is much room to improve that margin.

Also I’m not even a fan of Pete, but his support among the wwc in the 2020 democratic primary wasn’t lacking. Pete won the stereotypically WWC IA-01 by a significant margin during the Iowa caucuses after all.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 01:53:23 PM »

Vice presidential primaries aren't a thing.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 02:03:39 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2021, 02:16:09 PM by Josh Shapiro for Governor »

Do you have any data to back this up? Seems like a pretty bold take.
Motorcity

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 02:24:53 PM »

This is a paradoy right?

What is the "Biden regime"? Anyone who thinks Biden is a tyrant isn't going to vote Democrat

And what WWC appeal? You think the white guy laid off his job in Wisconsin who voted for Trump twice is going to vote for Yang? If they didn't vote for Biden (a boring old white guy with labor roots) they aren't going to vote for a Asian tech bro from NYC
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 03:19:23 PM »

And what WWC appeal? You think the white guy laid off his job in Wisconsin who voted for Trump twice is going to vote for Yang?

LostFellow
LostHerro

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2021, 05:07:30 PM »

And what WWC appeal? You think the white guy laid off his job in Wisconsin who voted for Trump twice is going to vote for Yang?

Not sure if your reply is serious here.

Yes, the ad focusing on a single individual selected by the Yang campaign and is carefully crafted to present a man of the people message is totally indicative of the general electorate /s. I'm not even anti-Yang or anything, and I do think some of his ideas have decent appeal. I can just tell (most of the time at least) if something is backed by hard data as opposed to some non-objective narrative.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2021, 05:14:24 PM »

Yes, the ad focusing on a single individual selected by the Yang campaign and is carefully crafted to present a man of the people message is totally indicative of the general electorate /s. I'm not even anti-Yang or anything, and I do think some of his ideas have decent appeal. I can just tell (most of the time at least) if something is backed by hard data as opposed to some non-objective narrative.

My point is solely that it isn't a foregone conclusion that Yang will fare poorly with the WWC.
LostFellow
LostHerro

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2021, 05:23:16 PM »

My point is solely that it isn't a foregone conclusion that Yang will fare poorly with the WWC.

Could this not be said about any democrat by linking some campaign video (ft. random wwc guy)?

I think that a priori, any democrat will struggle with the WWC, so the burden of evidence is on the candidate to prove that they can overperform—hence it is reasonable to say the Yang tentatively will fare poorly with the WWC. A campaign video to me is very tenuous evidence.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 05:27:12 PM »

Could this not be said about any democrat by linking some campaign video (ft. random wwc guy)?

I think that a priori, any democrat will struggle with the WWC, so the burden of evidence is on the candidate to prove that they can overperform—hence it is reasonable to say the Yang tentatively will fare poorly with the WWC. A campaign video to me is very tenuous evidence.

The fact that Yang is actually addressing the issues faced by these people is reason enough to acknowledge that he will be more popular among these voters than someone like Harris.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2021, 05:29:06 PM »

If this is as likely as you say it is, I really hope Biden indeed runs for re-election. This would possibly be worse than Clinton vs. Sanders in 2016.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2021, 05:30:37 PM »

I think Biden is the most likely candidate to "primary" Harris.

Yang is not going anywhere.
KyrstenSinemaFan
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2021, 05:35:28 PM »

Andrew has little support amongst black people and older whites. Together, these groups make up about half of the active democratic electorate and I don't think any candidate since Mcgovern has ever won a dem primary without getting at least one of these two groups (Obama lost white seniors but won blacks while Mondale and Dukakis lost the vote of black people but won white seniors).

He'd be done on arrival.

A significant amount of the DNC electorate is young millennials who lean left.

Also, I don’t see Yang doing that terribly with blacks.
KyrstenSinemaFan
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 05:44:26 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2021, 05:47:42 PM by Chuck Grassley/Kyrsten Sinema Stan »

If this is as likely as you say it is, I really hope Biden indeed runs for re-election. This would possibly be worse than Clinton vs. Sanders in 2016.

Do we really want an 82 year old in poor health running again? I know he’s probably the most electable candidate the Dems have, but he probably ain’t getting any fitter (physically or mentally).

Granted, if he runs against a 78 year old Trump it won’t be as bad, but even Trump is way fitter than Biden.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 05:56:14 PM »

Do we really want an 82 year old in poor health running again? I know he’s probably the most electable candidate the Dems have, but he probably ain’t getting any fitter (physically or mentally).

Granted, if he runs against a 78 year old Trump it won’t be as bad, but even Trump is way fitter than Biden.

Trump is higher-energy but he also takes much poorer care of himself.
KyrstenSinemaFan
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2021, 05:57:55 PM »

Trump seems more fit to the average voter, even if he isn’t much fitter than Biden (if at all). That’s probably due to the energy factor.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2021, 05:59:16 PM »

Biden just needs to campaign and win re-election. If his health is poor enough in being an octogenarian and interfering with his job by then, he can resign and let Harris take over.
KyrstenSinemaFan
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2021, 06:01:34 PM »

Biden just needs to campaign and win re-election. If his health is poor enough in being an octogenarian and interfering with his job by then, he can resign and let Harris take over.

He’s probably the most electable nominee for the Dems but he’s in a weak spot. The economy needs to bounce back fast by 2024.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2021, 06:12:45 PM »

It's a shame but he'd lose, he'd be a much better candidate than Harris.
KyrstenSinemaFan
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2021, 08:03:23 PM »

It's a shame but he'd lose, he'd be a much better candidate than Harris.

For sure.

Yang is the best candidate the Dems could have in 2024, to be frank.
Motorcity

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2021, 08:52:30 PM »

You are ignoring the elephant in the room

When we say "WWC'' we typically refer to white middle aged guys. Those who historically were part of unions. Manufacturing, construction, mining and trucking. Not college educated and live in small towns, rural areas and maybe older suburbs. Live in places like Iowa, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Ohio.

They voted for folks like Dukakis, Bill Clinton and Al Gore. And yes, several voted for Obama

These folks are gone. Boom, gone. That's it.

They have been leaving the Democratic Party for years. 2016 was the last straw

I doubt there exists a Democrat who could win them back, we are too polorized. And if HE did exist, I very much doubt he could win the primary. Maybe Sherrod Brown?

Joe Biden was the best bet Democrats had. He is a old white guy whose base was historically labor. He's from Scranton! Didn't make a dent

Back too my point. Do you know what these guys have in common? They are PREJUDICE

They are not going to vote for a women. Or an Asian or a Muslim or a Hispanic. Barack Obama did well because a black man is ok, but it was post recession and he is from the midwest. Obama in 2016 would not do as well as Obama 2012.

Could Andrew Yang win the midwest? Sure, if he brings out youth and minorities. And third parties largly back him. That's how Joe Biden won.

But the idea he is going to do better with WWC is laughable. Neither he nor Harris will win by WWC. If Biden or Hillary couldn't, they sure in hell can't

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies