Maybe a bit early...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:47:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Maybe a bit early...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Maybe a bit early...  (Read 8079 times)
Conan
conan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2006, 01:59:18 PM »

Again, there is no field of candidates for the GOP in NJ. They almost didnt even have a candidate this year. Kean was the only one. Plus they have to be moderate to liberal to even have a chance here. Theres only 2 possible candidates the GOP has in 2008 besides there congressmen here, Christie Whitman and Tom Kean Jr again. Whitman would loose and so would Kean definately, again, against Lautenberg, Codey, Pallone, Andrews, or Rothman. There are currently no other NJ republican politicians that are known who could have a chance.

NJ is probably where the GOP has the greatest wealth of candidates, anyone of these peoples could make a run or beat Lautenberg:
Kean Jr. (if he mananges to lose)
Kean Sr. (considering gov run in 05)
Whitman (who knows)
Chris Cristie (very popular)
Al Leiter (celebrity influence)
Mike Ferguson (popular congressman)
Scott Garrett (maybe too conservative but respected)
Steve Lonegan (high name recognition)
Bret Schundler (always a possibility)

If Lautenberg retires the Dems certainly will not nominate Rothman is he is too liberal for all of NJ even.  The only reason my district keeps voting for him is because of the urban areas included in the district.  Sort of like how Bob Menendez only won in urban areas.

Again, the GOP in NJ has really no credible challengers. NO ONE KNOWS who Chris Christie is! Scott Garrett couldnt get 20% Lonegan doesnt have high name recognition and no one knows who Leiter is anymore? Ferguson is in tight House race but it would still be leans dem if he ran. Kean Sr wont run, send the link saying he considered running in 05. Everyone else has already ran statewide and lost. Plus Kean doesnt "manage to lose" he has to fight hard to win and then lose.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2006, 02:09:29 PM »

How do you put up a map?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2006, 02:12:09 PM »

Key

Dark Red -Democratic Gain
Pink -Democratic Hold

Dark Blue -Republican Gain
Light Blue -Republican Hold

Oregon: If rumors prove true that former John Kitzhaber runs against Senator Gordon Smith, this race will be a toss-up, and ultimately given Oregon's increasing Democratic lean and the strength of his own candidacy, Kitshaber stands the best chance of unseating Smith.

Colorado: If Senator Wayne Allard retires (as he is likely to), this seat will be Mark Udall's for the taking.

Michigan: If the incumbent Senator Carl Levin retires, this seat will be Candice Miller's for the taking.  If he doesn't, it stays in Democratic hands.

Alaska:  This is assuming that Senator Ted Stevens retires and Tony Knowles runs for this seat after having lost a close election for Governor two years before.

How does Tony Knowles win after losing two elections in a short period and it being a presidential year?  Ben Stevens and John Binkley would easily beat him.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2006, 02:16:06 PM »

Again, the GOP in NJ has really no credible challengers. NO ONE KNOWS who Chris Christie is! Scott Garrett couldnt get 20% Lonegan doesnt have high name recognition and no one knows who Leiter is anymore? Ferguson is in tight House race but it would still be leans dem if he ran. Kean Sr wont run, send the link saying he considered running in 05. Everyone else has already ran statewide and lost. Plus Kean doesnt "manage to lose" he has to fight hard to win and then lose.
[/quote]

Proves my point you don't know NJ politics if you don't know who Chris Cristie is.  Scott Garrett would probably lose, but he would ignite the base.  Leiter is very well-known and played for the both the Mets and Yankees.  Ferguson is a great candidate w/a lot of experience and his house race isn't that close.  Kean Sr. did consider running, I'll find the link, and he would wipe Lautenberg, wouldn't even be a race.  Kean Jr. would have more experience, more name recognition, and more fire to him.

BTW, isn't Lautenberg being hypocritical as he once said his opponent was "too old to serve" in the senate and now he is older than his opponent was then?
Conan
conan

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2006, 04:55:04 PM »

Proves my point you don't know NJ politics if you don't know who Chris Cristie is.  Scott Garrett would probably lose, but he would ignite the base.  Leiter is very well-known and played for the both the Mets and Yankees.  Ferguson is a great candidate w/a lot of experience and his house race isn't that close.  Kean Sr. did consider running, I'll find the link, and he would wipe Lautenberg, wouldn't even be a race.  Kean Jr. would have more experience, more name recognition, and more fire to him.

BTW, isn't Lautenberg being hypocritical as he once said his opponent was "too old to serve" in the senate and now he is older than his opponent was then?
[/quote]

Fact of the matter is, you ask some one who Chris Christie and they wont know. Ferguson is actually in a tighter race then any other time. Again, Leiter is a has been and has never been mentioned before as a candidate nor is he "very well known". Garrett would never run. He wouldnt want to risk losing a job and he knows he cant win state wide. Many Republicans havent been mentioned because they dont have anyone who could win. Also, you overestimate Kean, he would not trounce Lautenberg, but the race could be competitive with Lautenberg winning with about 2-5 points. Kean has been retired for 20 years. Kean Jr would be washed up for senate elections. He could try governor because he wont be nominated twice. I dont really care if Lautenberg is being hypocritical about too old to serve but I'd like to see some one new appear. Every time you talk about NJ politics the more confident about 08 I am, knowing that there isnt anyone there to take NJ's D seat.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2006, 05:22:20 PM »

Fact of the matter is, you ask some one who Chris Christie and they wont know. Ferguson is actually in a tighter race then any other time. Again, Leiter is a has been and has never been mentioned before as a candidate nor is he "very well known". Garrett would never run. He wouldnt want to risk losing a job and he knows he cant win state wide. Many Republicans havent been mentioned because they dont have anyone who could win. Also, you overestimate Kean, he would not trounce Lautenberg, but the race could be competitive with Lautenberg winning with about 2-5 points. Kean has been retired for 20 years. Kean Jr would be washed up for senate elections. He could try governor because he wont be nominated twice. I dont really care if Lautenberg is being hypocritical about too old to serve but I'd like to see some one new appear. Every time you talk about NJ politics the more confident about 08 I am, knowing that there isnt anyone there to take NJ's D seat.
[/quote]

I thought your other statements were not informed, but this is the least informed.  TKJ will be washed up in senate elections by 2008?  Have you never heard of John Thune?  Maybe you haven't as you never heard of Chris Christie.
Conan
conan

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2006, 07:30:26 PM »

I thought your other statements were not informed, but this is the least informed.  TKJ will be washed up in senate elections by 2008?  Have you never heard of John Thune?  Maybe you haven't as you never heard of Chris Christie.
[/quote]

Yes I have heard of John Thune R-SD....South Dakota.....Welcome to NJ! When Kean loses this one, he wont be renominated in 2008. Again no one knows or cares about Chris Christie. I hope this Chris Christie runs so that he hands us another election.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2006, 03:30:17 AM »

Can someone tell me how to post a map?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2006, 08:36:27 AM »

Yes I have heard of John Thune R-SD....South Dakota.....Welcome to NJ! When Kean loses this one, he wont be renominated in 2008. Again no one knows or cares about Chris Christie. I hope this Chris Christie runs so that he hands us another election.
[/quote]

Makes me feel more confident than ever about this race is that all you can say is "safe Democratic state".  NJ was once a GOP state and knowing the fickleness of voters it could easily swing back.  And the fact you say you live in Jersey and don't know who Chris Christie is is depressing.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2006, 09:19:37 AM »

Democratic best case scenario:

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2006, 09:40:38 AM »

GOP Best Case Scenario (at the moment):

SD: Mike Rounds runs against Tim Johnson
IO: Nussle against Harkin
AR: Huckabee against Pryor
LA: Jindal against Landrieu
WV: Rockafeller retires, Capito Moore runs
MI: Levin retires, strong GOP runs
NJ: A made a whole thread on it
DE: Biden retires, Castle runs
MA: Kerry retires, Romney runs

GOP +9

Unbeatable:
Reed in RI
Baucus in MT
Durbin in IL
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2006, 11:23:23 AM »

GOP +9

Unbeatable:
Reed in RI
Baucus in MT
Durbin in IL

Well sheesh if I had given the Democrats thatmuch of a benefit of the doubt I'd have included at least Oregon and New Mexico in my map.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2006, 12:27:43 PM »

GOP +9

Unbeatable:
Reed in RI
Baucus in MT
Durbin in IL

Well sheesh if I had given the Democrats thatmuch of a benefit of the doubt I'd have included at least Oregon and New Mexico in my map.

Best GOP chances:
NJ, SD, LA, DE, MI, WV, IO, AR, MA

Best Dem chances:
CO, NH, NM, NC, MN, ME, OR, AK, VA, OK, TN, GA

No other seat is even looking like it could get competitive
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies