A question about swings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:55:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  A question about swings
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A question about swings  (Read 219 times)
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2021, 09:14:02 AM »

I have seen - or so I think - conflicting methods of calculating swings.

In America, it seems to be difference between two candidates at election 1, plus the difference at election 2. So 56.7/43.3 --> 55.2/44.8 is a 3 point swing.

In the UK, it seems to be half of this. So the above is a 1.5 point swing.

Are my observations correct?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 09:58:09 AM »

In America, it seems to be difference between two candidates at election 1, plus the difference at election 2. So 56.7/43.3 --> 55.2/44.8 is a 3 point swing.

Yes in general, although the PVI calculation that is popular now due to the Cook Report, measuring the difference between the national POTUS percentages as compared to a given local constituency, does use the divide by 2 formula, so if Trump broke even with Biden in a CD, the PVI would be 2.25% R (the Trump losing margin of 4.5%/2). Personally I prefer the divide by 2 approach myself.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 10:12:05 AM »

Yes in general, although the PVI calculation that is popular now due to the Cook Report, measuring the difference between the national POTUS percentages as compared to a given local constituency, does use the divide by 2 formula, so if Trump broke even with Biden in a CD, the PVI would be 2.25% R (the Trump losing margin of 4.5%/2). Personally I prefer the divide by 2 approach myself.

Makes sense. I prefer the division method too; 56.7--> 55.2 doesn't 'feel' like a 3 point swing.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 10:18:41 AM »
« Edited: May 09, 2021, 10:22:13 AM by Storr »

Makes sense. I prefer the division method too; 56.7--> 55.2 doesn't 'feel' like a 3 point swing.
This is total conjecture on my part, but I could imagine the American method of calculating swings being first used in the media (or by winning campaigns) because it sounds more impressive and attention grabbing to have an election with a 3 point swing instead of a 1.5 point swing. Then over time that way of calculating swings became the standard in the country.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 10:21:55 AM »

This is total conjecture on my part, but I could imagine the American method of calculating swings being first used in the media because it sounds more impressive and attention grabbing to have an election with a 3 point swing instead of a 1.5 point swing. Then over time that way of calculating swings became the standard in the country.

Haha, yes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies