Soccer (Football) Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:39:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Soccer (Football) Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Soccer (Football) Thread  (Read 5947 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 05:48:40 AM »

We were beaten by the better team, no doubt, but that goal frustrates nonetheless. Showed some positive spirit and a good effort generally, so hopefully we can be competitive in the group.

That goal was really unfortunate. But there's a part of me that feels like Steve Staunton just isnt good enough for this job.
Robbie Keane once again scored in an Ireland vs Germany game... sense of deja vu anyone?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 12:51:29 PM »

Jari Litmane scored twice in against Poland, yeah
Yeah. Biggest surprise of the night, well along with Italy.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2006, 02:14:33 PM »

We were beaten by the better team, no doubt, but that goal frustrates nonetheless. Showed some positive spirit and a good effort generally, so hopefully we can be competitive in the group.

That goal was really unfortunate. But there's a part of me that feels like Steve Staunton just isnt good enough for this job.
You and everyone else...

Robbie Keane once again scored in an Ireland vs Germany game... sense of deja vu anyone?
Tongue
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2006, 05:27:12 AM »

You and everyone else...

Tongue
I'm semiserious though. I was kinda miffed they treated it as a Podolski goal. It should be considered an own goal IMO.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2006, 01:51:10 PM »

I'm semiserious though. I was kinda miffed they treated it as a Podolski goal. It should be considered an own goal IMO.

Agreed that it was misclassified, not sure f the shot was even on target (never mind whther or not it was likely to beat Given).

Actually, for the opening weeks of the Premiership I've been quite surprised at a number of goals classified for the striker when I thought that an own goal tag would have been more appropriate.

afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2006, 02:01:46 PM »

Phew: close run thing, but Scotland beat Lithuania 2-1
kashifsakhan
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2006, 07:15:51 PM »

Adding to that comment about Steve Staunton not being good enough to manage at international level, I'd like to say that Roberto Donadoni is quite possibly the worst manager on the international stage! Awful, just an absolute mess with his tactics. the only reason why italy actually do anything in any game is because of what Lippi instilled in them during his time as national coach/manager.

I dont see Italy qualifying if they keep Donadoni around. It would be best for Italy to get rid of him and bring back Lippi, or bring in Carlo Ancelotti
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2006, 07:41:41 PM »

Northern Ireland did it again! Cheesy
kashifsakhan
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2006, 10:38:24 AM »

And now Lawrie Sanchez wants to quit.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2006, 03:48:38 PM »

Remarkable result almost exactly a year after defeating England. They played very well, especially compared to the Iceland game at the weekend. If they could consistently harness that level of play they would be very serious contenders to qualify.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2006, 03:51:33 PM »

Sweden at least got 6 points out of 6 possible...but we played god-awful. Conceding a goal against Lichtenstein is just plain sad. With Northern Ireland beating Spain, and Denmark beating Iceland, the group is wide open though. I predict Sweden finished 3rd and I think Denmark might actually win the group, surprisingly.
kashifsakhan
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2006, 03:17:16 AM »

England managed 6 points from 2 games by beating the great footballing powerhouses of andorra and macedonia!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2006, 07:15:58 AM »

Liechtenstein is 124th in the FIFA world rankings, ahead of about half a dozen European sides. They played a surprising qualification (by their standards) for 2006, beating Luxembourg (a country 10 times Liechtenstein's size?) twice with ease and winning two upset draws against stronger teams.
kashifsakhan
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2006, 05:59:22 PM »

Liechtenstein is 124th in the FIFA world rankings, ahead of about half a dozen European sides. They played a surprising qualification (by their standards) for 2006, beating Luxembourg (a country 10 times Liechtenstein's size?) twice with ease and winning two upset draws against stronger teams.

Liechtenstein are good at doing that sort of stuff... Remember when they gave England hell in one of the Euro 2004 qualifiers?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2006, 10:31:16 AM »

Liechtenstein are good at doing that sort of stuff... Remember when they gave England hell in one of the Euro 2004 qualifiers?

I remember Ireland drawing with them, a few years ago now. Marked something of a nadir for us.

Elsewhere, Roy Keane's Sunderland pulled off a comeback yesterday to beat Derby 2-1. Smiley
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2006, 08:57:44 AM »

Watched West Ham- Aston Villa yesterday. Ended in a 1-1 draw. Harewood missed an open goal and we (meaning West Ham, the team I support) only equalised due to a flukey Zamora goal.
kashifsakhan
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2006, 12:09:46 AM »

United beat celtic 3-2. Excellent game. wouldnt have been quite as much fun had celtic won or drawn, both of which were likely.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2006, 05:25:37 PM »

What think you all about the recent stuff about corruption in football over here?

Story Here

Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2006, 01:19:06 PM »

What think you all about the recent stuff about corruption in football over here?

It seems like there's a general acceptance that it goes on and that everyone's willing to turn a blind eye to it. Given that it's hard to see the practice disappearing any time soon.

Still, could be worse, at least it's not as bad as the Italian scandal.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies