LGC 1.6 - Amendment to the End of Affirmative Action Again Act - TABLED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 10:28:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 1.6 - Amendment to the End of Affirmative Action Again Act - TABLED
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: LGC 1.6 - Amendment to the End of Affirmative Action Again Act - TABLED  (Read 2007 times)
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2021, 10:04:27 PM »
« edited: May 22, 2021, 09:21:15 PM by Lincoln Speaker Dwarven Dragon »

Amendment to the End of Affirmative Action Again Act

1. L.C. 6:15 is repealed, effective immediately
2. L.C 2:18 is reinstated, with the following provisions:
End of Public Affirmative Action in Lincoln

I. Any Publicly funded college or university in the region of Lincoln is hereby banned from using race as the sole factor in admissions.
II. Failure to abide by this law shall result a fine not exceeding $2500 $1500 for any individuals involved in racial discrimination in college admissions or $1,000 $600 universities involved in racial discrimination in college admissions.
III: A publicly funded university shall be defined as one where at least 20% 50% of funding for the university comes from the government.
IV. Private Universities shall not be affected by this law.
3. No part of this law shall be considered severable from any other part
4. No part of this legislation may be used to deny adequate representation to minority groups
5. This law shall take effect beginning in the 2022-23 school year

Sponsor: S019
Court Sponsor: CraneHusband
Occupying: Slot 6 of 14

Sponsor, please advocate for your bill.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 10:32:42 PM »

This bill will strengthen protections for students of underprivileged backgrounds, who will be at risk of being discriminated against under Lincoln's affirmative action ban. It ensures that minority interests are protected and seeks to prevent racism in college admissions that could result in all white colleges.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 10:36:39 PM »

The original bill was so watered down that it was effectively useless. There is no college in this region whose sole admissions criterion is the race of the applicant. I'm not sure what the point of this new bill is. Why should the fine for admitting applicants solely based on race (if that were to even happen) be decreased? The final section also seems vague. Who would make this test and what would it consist of?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 11:02:14 PM »

I agree with AGA's remarks. The bill as enacted now is already a significant compromise. If anything the original bill needs to be strengthened. This just serves to make a mockery of the legislation we enacted.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 11:49:00 PM »

The original bill was so watered down that it was effectively useless. There is no college in this region whose sole admissions criterion is the race of the applicant. I'm not sure what the point of this new bill is. Why should the fine for admitting applicants solely based on race (if that were to even happen) be decreased? The final section also seems vague. Who would make this test and what would it consist of?

I agree with AGA's remarks. The bill as enacted now is already a significant compromise. If anything the original bill needs to be strengthened. This just serves to make a mockery of the legislation we enacted.

The goal here is to protect the representation of minority students which I believe was insufficiently protected in the original bill.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 12:46:45 AM »

The goal here is to protect the representation of minority students which I believe was insufficiently protected in the original bill.

No. All the bill would actually do is add laughably arbitrary regulation in the form of a racial bias test, for which no implementation details are provided.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 08:16:04 PM »

No. All the bill would actually do is add laughably arbitrary regulation in the form of a racial bias test, for which no implementation details are provided.

The racial bias test was created to prevent all white colleges arising from racist attitudes in admissions, if further details are wanted for that, I'm happy to clarify.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 08:30:14 PM »

The racial bias test was created to prevent all white colleges arising from racist attitudes in admissions, if further details are wanted for that, I'm happy to clarify.

There's several things that would need to be answered before it would even potentially work:

- Who writes the test?
- Who proctors the test?
- What is the universe of information that will be covered in this "bias training" and be on the test?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 08:33:29 PM »

There's several things that would need to be answered before it would even potentially work:

- Who writes the test?
- Who proctors the test?
- What is the universe of information that will be covered in this "bias training" and be on the test?

The best test is probably the Harvard IAT, which is free and can be used by anyone. It'd be proctored by the employer, a drawback is that people may have to take the test several times, but I've done it myself and it's quite short, so they can definitely take it 7 or 8 times and average the result. Obviously, they'd call over the proctor and the proctor would not the results before they take it again.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 09:06:13 PM »

- Who writes the test?
- Who proctors the test?

The best test is probably the Harvard IAT, which is free and can be used by anyone. It'd be proctored by the employer, a drawback is that people may have to take the test several times, but I've done it myself and it's quite short, so they can definitely take it 7 or 8 times and average the result. Obviously, they'd call over the proctor and the proctor would not the results before they take it again.

Okay, I looked into that, but it doesn't give any sort of percentage score, it just tells you whether you have a bias or not. So doesn't really fit with the standard you applied.

Honestly this seems unworkable and I'll be moving to table once the required debate period is over.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 09:08:30 PM »

- Who writes the test?
- Who proctors the test?

Okay, I looked into that, but it doesn't give any sort of percentage score, it just tells you whether you have a bias or not. So doesn't really fit with the standard you applied.

Honestly this seems unworkable and I'll be moving to table once the required debate period is over.

I can amend the bill if needed, or we can create a brand new test
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 09:11:20 PM »

Not saying never to some amendment to this, but honestly at this point seems like the current law is the ideal situation.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 09:17:37 PM »

Well here's idea one, which is to just use the IAT

Amendment to the End of Affirmative Action Again Act

1. L.C. 6:15 is repealed, effective immediately
2. L.C 2:18 is reinstated, with the following provisions:
End of Public Affirmative Action in Lincoln

I. Any Publicly funded college or university in the region of Lincoln is hereby banned from using race as the sole factor in admissions.
II. Failure to abide by this law shall result a fine not exceeding $2500 $2.50 for any individuals involved in racial discrimination in college admissions or $1,000 $10 universities involved in racial discrimination in college admissions.
III: A publicly funded university shall be defined as one where at least 20% 90% of funding for the university comes from the government.
IV. Private Universities shall not be affected by this law.
3. No part of this law shall be considered severable from any other part
4. No part of this legislation may be used to deny adequate representation to minority groups
5. This law shall take effect beginning in the 2022-23 school year
6. All college admissions officials shall be required to undergo racial bias training which shall last for a period of 2 months, at the end of this training they shall take a racial bias test requiring a score of at least 80% in order to pass. also known as an implicit association test (IAT). The test shall be proctored by the Dean of Admissions. All college admissions officials shall take the test at least 10 times, and shall obtain a score of at least 80% of attempts with the result: "no automatic preference towards white or black people." Those who fail to attain 80% on this test these series of tests shall be given one (1) opportunity to retake the tests within thirty (30) days. Failure to complete the series of tests with a score of at least 80% with the result: "no automatic preference towards white or black people" within this time frame shall result in administrative leave and possible dismissal, to be determined by the University.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 09:19:41 PM »

Hmmm...maybe. What do the other deputies think?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 09:22:26 PM »

Proposing this amendment, 24 hours to object:

II. Failure to abide by this law shall result a fine not exceeding $2500$2.50 $1500 for any individuals involved in racial discrimination in college admissions or $1,000 $10 $600 universities involved in racial discrimination in college admissions.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2021, 10:03:11 PM »

I don't think a racial bias test is worthwhile. How is it possible to test for racism? I've never heard of this test.
Nyssus
Misteeer
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2021, 10:35:15 PM »

II. Failure to abide by this law shall result a fine not exceeding $2500$2.50 $1500 for any individuals involved in racial discrimination in college admissions or $1,000 $10 $600 universities involved in racial discrimination in college admissions.

I object.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2021, 04:32:10 AM »

Honestly if people here want to get rid of the AA ban, they should just be honest about it and repeal it, not write a terrible piece of legislation.

It would be a mistake imo (there is a reason I voted in favour, even when it was a very poorly written bill) but that's the will of the council.

Similarly the anti AA side (among which I include myself to be honest) should just issue a standard ban. Lfromnj's original bill from way back in the day was perfectly fine, I'd just remove or lessen the "rewards" for whistle blowers but that is it.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2021, 11:24:56 AM »
« Edited: May 08, 2021, 11:35:25 AM by lfromnj »

I don't think a racial bias test is worthwhile. How is it possible to test for racism? I've never heard of this test.

Its a fairly garbage test that merely tests your instant second decisions based on a person's race. Its even worse because the test given actually pre trains you at first and then switches it up which I believe causes a significant portion of said bias.

Do not accept an IAT.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html

Its fun to take I guess but that's about it. If I had to bet, if anything most college officials would have a moderate bias towards black people because most races generally have a "in preference" with the exception of white liberals who have a preference for other races.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2021, 09:58:47 PM »

The question is on this amendment, please cast your votes:

Aye
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2021, 12:26:05 AM »

Aye
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2021, 09:19:39 AM »

No
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2021, 10:55:18 AM »

Abstain
JoeInator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -4.00

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2021, 10:28:22 PM »

Nay
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2021, 11:39:31 AM »

On this amendment, the vote is 2-2 with 1 abstention and 2 not voting.

The Governor will be contacted to break the tie.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies