Alberta Municipal Elections, Referendum(s), and Senate Nominee Election: October 18, 2021 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:45:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Alberta Municipal Elections, Referendum(s), and Senate Nominee Election: October 18, 2021 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Alberta Municipal Elections, Referendum(s), and Senate Nominee Election: October 18, 2021  (Read 4322 times)
adma
« on: October 09, 2021, 05:56:56 PM »

As Hatman noted, the Mayoral race has primarily come down to Councillor Jyoti Gondek on the progressive side and Councillor Jeromy Farkas on the conservative side, with Councillor Jeff Davison, Brad Field, and Jan Damery rounding out the top tier of candidates (out of 27 total candidates). Gondek managed to dodge a potential vote-splitting curveball in the form of former Liberal MP and MLA Kent Hehr, who announced a run for Mayor as the "only true progressive candidate" two weeks before the nomination deadline, but then dropped out at almost the last possible moment, officially because he was concerned about having COVID, although I imagine that the pushback he was getting from progressives about likely costing Gondek the race had an impact as well. While Davison is solidly in third place, he has struggled to make gains in the polls due to his later entry into the race than his fellow councillors, as well as public scrutiny surrounding a PAC called "Calgary Tomorrow" which sprung up to support Davison. While Davison's campaign claims to be following all the rules, the level of apparent coordination between the campaign and the PAC, most notably the fact that all Davison lawn and boulevard signs are paid for by the PAC, have left many Calgarians with a sense of distaste. I personally think that the race leans towards Gondek, due to Farkas having a high floor but a low ceiling of support and Gondek being seen as the consensus anti-Farkas candidate, but I can't call the race for sure.

Also, however they may vote federally or provincially, Calgarians have been notoriously prone to *not* favouring the right-of-centre mayorally (even Ralph Klein was a populist Liberal during his stint in office)
adma
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 07:06:27 AM »

Very quickly, I can just report that the Calgary and Edmonton mayoral elections have been called for the progressive candidates, Jyoti Gondek and Amarjeet Sohi, respectively.

Well, Gondek's outperforming polls *could* have been foretold, insofar as it continues a Calgary pattern of openly right-of-centre mayoral candidates sputtering out short of the finish line.  I mean, you could tell that Farkas was doomed the moment he started scare-tacticing about the so-called far-left...
adma
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 04:35:46 PM »

Why 'conservative' Calgary keeps electing progressive mayors

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-progressive-mayors-naheed-jyoti-1.6221389
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies