LGC 1.4 - Amendment to the FF Act - Vetoed - Override Failed (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:18:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 1.4 - Amendment to the FF Act - Vetoed - Override Failed (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LGC 1.4 - Amendment to the FF Act - Vetoed - Override Failed  (Read 2217 times)
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« on: May 06, 2021, 10:20:12 PM »

Allowing confiscation for merely possessing a certain gun is just asking for unnecessary shootouts that would put law enforcement in danger. I would also like to see some evidence that these measures would reduce deaths. While I appreciate the governor's opposition, I can't say for sure that the votes exist to sustain his veto.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 10:32:01 PM »

Allowing confiscation for merely possessing a certain gun is just asking for unnecessary shootouts that would put law enforcement in danger. I would also like to see some evidence that these measures would reduce deaths. While I appreciate the governor's opposition, I can't say for sure that the votes exist to sustain his veto.

They can just wear bullet proof vests then? Also is the evidence not the rest of the world? Why is Atlasia the only nation in the world that has frequent mass shootings? Australia doesn't, the UK doesn't, Canada doesn't, etc. It's because they actually passed laws to strictly regulate gun ownership, which we had passed before, but it was unwisely repealed. Honestly, these are just NRA talking points, and it'll be a great disgrace, if this doesn't pass.

Do you think that a bullet-proof vest makes one invincible? And I would like to see evidence supporting these specific measures.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 10:40:21 PM »

They can just wear bullet proof vests then? Also is the evidence not the rest of the world? Why is Atlasia the only nation in the world that has frequent mass shootings? Australia doesn't, the UK doesn't, Canada doesn't, etc. It's because they actually passed laws to strictly regulate gun ownership, which we had passed before, but it was unwisely repealed. Honestly, these are just NRA talking points, and it'll be a great disgrace, if this doesn't pass.

Do you think that a bullet-proof vest makes one invincible? And I would like to see evidence supporting these specific measures.

Sigh, the evidence is literally the rest of the world.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/08/05/743579605/how-the-u-s-compares-to-other-countries-in-deaths-from-gun-violence

The US is comparable to the places with the most gun violence in every part of the world other than Latin America, which in infamous for its sizable gang presence.

You can say you don't believe it, and that's fine, but then stop pretending like this is a good faith engagement.

It seems that you haven't even read my post.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 10:34:49 PM »

Unfortunately, in the last Council, there was a majority brainwashed by NRA talking points. This bill will simply undo the absurd rollbacks ignorantly and absurdly pushed by people who I will note have yet to present any arguments in favor of their position.

For instance, Australia's worst shooting since 1996 killed four people, while this is ofc an unfortunate tragedy and our sympathies go out to the families of the victims, a shooting of such scale would barely be noted in this country, where we regularly have shootings of 20-30 people

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/05/australia/australia-darwin-gun-attack-intl/index.html

"On the long, bloody list of US gun violence, it would barely be a blip"

Additionally, the United Kingdom has not had a school shooting since 1996: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-1996-dunblane-massacre-pushed-uk-enact-stricter-gun-laws-180977221/

"Since the 1996 Dunblane massacre, they pointed out, “[t]here have been no more school shootings” in the United Kingdom."

Stricter gun control laws work, the people who oppose this have not provided one iota of evidence supporting their position, so naturally there's going to debate over it

Your argument is extremely shallow and does not support any of these specific measures. Your argument amounts to: countries with stricter gun control have less gun violence; therefore, every gun control measure is effective. Where is the evidence that banning silencers specifically would reduce gun violence? It seems that you place the burden of the proof on the side opposing a ban rather than the side supporting it, which is an awfully authoritarian mindset. If you had gone through each measure of this bill and convincingly argued for it, maybe then your condescending attitude would have been appropriate.

At the end of day, there are still around 400 million guns in Atlasia, leaps and bounds above any other country. That number won't drop dramatically without the confiscation of tens of millions of guns, which would have disastrous consequences that should not be entertained. Banning a gun does not guarantee that someone will not be able to obtain illegally since there are so many of them around. Worst case scenario, it creates a black market, undermines our strong system of background checks, and could make it easier for a criminal to obtain a gun. This has to be considering before banning everything willy-nilly.

I would be interested in gun control measures that have actually been shown to save lives. How about putting some safe storage regulations in here instead?
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 05:08:17 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2021, 05:17:38 PM by AGA »

Nowhere in the Atlasian constitution is the right to bear arms restricted only to those who have an "adequate reason," so I am objecting.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 05:21:04 PM »

Nay
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp