LGC 1.4 - Amendment to the FF Act - Vetoed - Override Failed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:37:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 1.4 - Amendment to the FF Act - Vetoed - Override Failed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: LGC 1.4 - Amendment to the FF Act - Vetoed - Override Failed  (Read 2158 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 05, 2021, 12:52:38 PM »
« edited: July 01, 2021, 03:48:08 PM by Lincoln Deputy Dwarven Dragon »

Amendment to the FF Act (L.C. 10.14)

Title 9, Section 4 of the Consolidate Laws of Lincoln Omnibus Act is amended as follows:

(a) In general. —

A “Gun License” shall be required to purchase, sell, or possess a gun in Lincoln.

(b) License types. —

There shall be the following categories of gun licenses —
(1) Class A, for rifles and shotguns; and
(2) Class B, for Class A weapons and handguns.

(c) Renewal. —

An individual shall be required to renew their Gun License every 3 years.

(d) Suspension. —

An individual's Gun License may be temporarily or permanently suspended by the court as a result of a criminal conviction relating to the violation of this Act, a violation of another gun law, the use of a gun in a crime, a crime involving bodily harm, or domestic violence.

(e) Requirements. —

An individual shall apply at a at a drivers license facility to get or renew a Gun License, where they shall —
(1) undergo a universal comprehensive background check;
(2) not have been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental institution by a court pass a mental health test issued by a psychologist, if they have a history of mental health issues.
(3) show proof of passing a gun training and safety course at a drivers license facility or on a drivers license facility website; and
(4) pass a gun safety exam at such drivers license facility.
(5) provide an adequate reason for submitting their license application

(f) Driver's licenses facility. —

The Bureau of Firearm Safety and Licensing shall provide to drivers license facilities the necessary courses for gun training and safety, accessible both —
(1) at the drivers license facility; and
(2) online.

(g) Waiting period. —

An individual shall not receive a gun license for the first time no sooner than one week (168 hours) after applying for one.

(h) Failure to comply. —

An individual that shall violate Subsection (a) may face the following penalties at the discretion of the court —
(1) a fine not exceeding $100,000; or
(2) a term of imprisonment of no more than 10 consecutive years.

(i) Buybacks. -

(1) The government of Lincoln shall operate a voluntary buyback program where it will buyback prohibited firearms at a price no less than double the market value.
(2) Any citizen who participates in the buyback program shall be eligible for a 2% tax credit on their regional taxes for the next two fiscal years.

Title 9, Section 6 of the Consolidate Laws of Lincoln Omnibus Act is amended as follows:

(a) In general. —

No individual shall purchase, sell, or possess
(1) bump stocks;
(2) suppressors;
(3) magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition; and
(4) assault weapons, defined as semi-automatic rifles and semi-automatic shotguns.
(5) folding or collapsible stocks
(6) bayonet lugs
(7) threaded barrels
(8) grenade launchers
(9) barrel shrouds

(b) Penalties. —

An individual that purchases or sells, or possesses one or more of the devices in Subsection (a) may face the following penalties at the discretion of the court —
(1) a fine not exceeding $100,000; or
(2) a term of imprisonment of no more than 10 consecutive years.

(c) The Police shall also be subject to these restrictions. Police conducting traffic stops shall no longer be permitted to carry any firearm. Special forces operations, including SWAT teams and counterterrorism units shall also be subject to these restrictions with the exception of (a)(4).

Title 9, Section 8 of the Consolidate Laws of Lincoln Omnibus Act is amended as follows:

Any individual who is convicted of a crime involving the use of a gun any gun related offense, including any gun related crimes or possession of an illegal firearm may have any guns or gun accessories in the individual’s possession permanently confiscated by Lincoln at the discretion of the court.

Sponsor: Dwarven Dragon (on behalf of S019)
Occupying: Slot 4 of 14

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 12:53:55 PM »

This consists of some changes to the last Council's FF Act. S019 has indicated he wants to try again on these changes and I do not have any issue with them, and believe they improve the bill and better protect our children.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 12:55:06 PM »

(Eyeroll)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 02:21:17 PM »

So, last Council was one of the darkest times in the Council's history and a bunch of awful bills were passed. The worst one was this where the Council sided with the NRA and the gun lobby over hardworking everyday Lincolnites. This bill is designed to provide justice for those who are victims of gun violence by working towards a world where no one has to experience the grief that befell those families. It aims to work towards a world where we as humanity, have triumphed over the evil scourge of gun violence. We can do something, we have it in our power to say no to the gun lobby and act in the interest of the people. It is not merely a choice, it is the responsibility of Lincoln to stand up to the gun lobby and pass this bill, so we can once again be on the track towards exterminating gun violence, once and for all.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 02:41:47 PM »

Nope
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 10:16:21 PM »

If it's not already clear, not signing this
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 10:20:12 PM »

Allowing confiscation for merely possessing a certain gun is just asking for unnecessary shootouts that would put law enforcement in danger. I would also like to see some evidence that these measures would reduce deaths. While I appreciate the governor's opposition, I can't say for sure that the votes exist to sustain his veto.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 10:29:45 PM »

Allowing confiscation for merely possessing a certain gun is just asking for unnecessary shootouts that would put law enforcement in danger. I would also like to see some evidence that these measures would reduce deaths. While I appreciate the governor's opposition, I can't say for sure that the votes exist to sustain his veto.

They can just wear bullet proof vests then? Also is the evidence not the rest of the world? Why is Atlasia the only nation in the world that has frequent mass shootings? Australia doesn't, the UK doesn't, Canada doesn't, etc. It's because they actually passed laws to strictly regulate gun ownership, which we had passed before, but it was unwisely repealed. Honestly, these are just NRA talking points, and it'll be a great disgrace, if this doesn't pass.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 10:32:01 PM »

They can just wear bullet proof vests then? Also is the evidence not the rest of the world? Why is Atlasia the only nation in the world that has frequent mass shootings? Australia doesn't, the UK doesn't, Canada doesn't, etc. It's because they actually passed laws to strictly regulate gun ownership, which we had passed before, but it was unwisely repealed. Honestly, these are just NRA talking points, and it'll be a great disgrace, if this doesn't pass.

Do you think that a bullet-proof vest makes one invincible? And I would like to see evidence supporting these specific measures.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 10:36:59 PM »

Do you think that a bullet-proof vest makes one invincible? And I would like to see evidence supporting these specific measures.

Arguing with S019 on guns is like banging one's head against a brick wall
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 10:38:24 PM »

Sigh, the evidence is literally the rest of the world.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/08/05/743579605/how-the-u-s-compares-to-other-countries-in-deaths-from-gun-violence

The US is comparable to the places with the most gun violence in every part of the world other than Latin America, which in infamous for its sizable gang presence.

You can say you don't believe it, and that's fine, but then stop pretending like this is a good faith engagement.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2021, 10:40:21 PM »

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/08/05/743579605/how-the-u-s-compares-to-other-countries-in-deaths-from-gun-violence

The US is comparable to the places with the most gun violence in every part of the world other than Latin America, which in infamous for its sizable gang presence.

You can say you don't believe it, and that's fine, but then stop pretending like this is a good faith engagement.

It seems that you haven't even read my post.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2021, 10:42:44 PM »

It seems that you haven't even read my post.

I mean all of those other countries have stuff stricter than what I'm advocating for. Australia has basically banned all guns, except for like farmers, and the UK has banned all handguns and both require a legitimate reason not "I want one" to own a gun. I am perfectly fine to advocate for policies that have reduced gun violence in those countries, if you're okay with it.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2021, 11:34:43 PM »

So, last Council was one of the darkest times in the Council's history and a bunch of awful bills were passed. The worst one was this where the Council sided with the NRA and the gun lobby over hardworking everyday Lincolnites. This bill is designed to provide justice for those who are victims of gun violence by working towards a world where no one has to experience the grief that befell those families. It aims to work towards a world where we as humanity, have triumphed over the evil scourge of gun violence. We can do something, we have it in our power to say no to the gun lobby and act in the interest of the people. It is not merely a choice, it is the responsibility of Lincoln to stand up to the gun lobby and pass this bill, so we can once again be on the track towards exterminating gun violence, once and for all.
Ohohohoho. That Council was so based. Not as based as my glorious South, but it was still fun for me to watch.

Also, in the FF Act you all literally added just as much new gun control as was repealed.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 11:37:36 PM »

Ohohohoho. That Council was so based. Not as based as my glorious South, but it was still fun for me to watch.

Also, in the FF Act you all literally added just as much new gun control as was repealed.

You mean the South that has been underfunding education for years? I mean the point is that looking at other countries, the conclusion is that the original law as it was, was too lax. That law should've been strengthened if anything. People need to really ask why mass shootings happen here so often and not in Australia, the UK, or Canada.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 11:39:09 PM »

You mean the South that has been underfunding education for years? I mean the point is that looking at other countries, the conclusion is that the original law as it was, was too lax. That law should've been strengthened if anything. People need to really ask why mass shootings happen here so often and not in Australia, the UK, or Canada.
I do love how we in the South are past the need for much of any gun control. Lol Lincoln.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2021, 11:44:07 PM »

I do love how we in the South are past the need for much of any gun control. Lol Lincoln.

No...... The only way you can get past the need for gun control is confiscation of all guns. If that doesn't happen then you need some form of it, otherwise you have people with guns in the street shooting up places.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2021, 11:46:29 PM »

No...... The only way you can get past the need for gun control is confiscation of all guns. If that doesn't happen then you need some form of it, otherwise you have people with guns in the street shooting up places.
Lol. You just don't get it.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2021, 11:47:29 PM »

And you do?
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2021, 11:48:27 PM »

And you do?
Yes, I am the wisest man you know.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2021, 11:49:15 PM »

And you do?
Roll Eyes
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2021, 12:02:14 AM »

Lmao.
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2021, 12:07:06 AM »

And you do?
Roll Eyes
Eye rolling is what your mom does whenever I try to get her to admit meeting with me for a good time.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2021, 12:52:36 AM »

I'm not exactly sure what the point of this quote war is. The non-deputies are hereby reminded that they are here as guests of the General Court and repeated spam may result in their reported post count increasing  Tongue
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2021, 08:37:48 AM »

I'm not exactly sure what the point of this quote war is. The non-deputies are hereby reminded that they are here as guests of the General Court and repeated spam may result in their reported post count increasing  Tongue

It's not my fault that LT responds to effortposts with one-liners. Anyways, another point I'll note in favor of stringent gun control is that when Australia passed their gun control bill, the PM at the time, John Howard, who is obviously no left wing hero, said that they didn't want Australia to go on the path that America went down.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies