Caspian Report: the makings of an Asian NATO
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 02:11:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Caspian Report: the makings of an Asian NATO
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Caspian Report: the makings of an Asian NATO  (Read 1012 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 05, 2021, 06:20:42 AM »

Interesting video about the back and forth between China and other heavyweights in the Asia-Pacific region.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 06:44:07 AM »
« Edited: May 05, 2021, 07:03:30 AM by SecularGlobalist »

I'll say it again, but that is an excellent YouTube channel.  One of the few geopolitical channels I subscribe to.   (another great one is Geography Now!  Equally as insightful but with a bit of lulz)
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 07:01:48 AM »

I'll say it again, but that is an excellent YouTube channel.  One of the few geopolitical channels channels I subscribe to.   (another great one is Geography Now!  Equally as insightful but with a bit of lulz)
Ah, a fellow intellectual.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 09:08:15 AM »

Shirvan Neftchi produces amazing content and is honestly one of the most underrated geopolitics youtubers out there.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 09:42:23 AM »

A modern day SEATO?
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 10:01:30 AM »

I'll say it again, but that is an excellent YouTube channel.  One of the few geopolitical channels I subscribe to.   (another great one is Geography Now!  Equally as insightful but with a bit of lulz)

Shirvan Neftchi produces amazing content and is honestly one of the most underrated geopolitics youtubers out there.

I have found my people
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 12:09:18 PM »

Funnily enough, that actually came into mind when I saw the video.
I'll say it again, but that is an excellent YouTube channel.  One of the few geopolitical channels I subscribe to.   (another great one is Geography Now!  Equally as insightful but with a bit of lulz)

I have found my people
The feeling is mutual!
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 05:56:18 PM »

I'll say it again, but that is an excellent YouTube channel.  One of the few geopolitical channels I subscribe to.   (another great one is Geography Now!  Equally as insightful but with a bit of lulz)

As a non intellectual, I have to ask: is that anything like 'serenity now!"?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 11:28:11 PM »

So glad he’s getting notice. Honestly I and HenryWallaceVP should start posting other YTers in the same calibre, like MoFreedomFoundation.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 01:33:44 PM »

Great video, love this channel. I was surprised South Korea wasn't mentioned as part of this alliance. Maybe because they're so focused on their own peninsula and the North Korean situation. A united Democratic Korea would a great counterbalance to China, if it ever happens. Also, after Duterte's disastrous presidency, hopefully the Philippines returns to being a Democratic powerhouse, which would be another good addition to this SE Asian alliance.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 07:56:06 PM »

Great video, love this channel. I was surprised South Korea wasn't mentioned as part of this alliance. Maybe because they're so focused on their own peninsula and the North Korean situation. A united Democratic Korea would a great counterbalance to China, if it ever happens. Also, after Duterte's disastrous presidency, hopefully the Philippines returns to being a Democratic powerhouse, which would be another good addition to this SE Asian alliance.

My guess is that it has more to do with very volatile Japan-South Korean relationship rather than problems on the Korean peninsula. Someone who knows South Korea better than can probably also comment on this, but I believe that South Korea also has traditionally had a less confrontational stance toward China than Japan, the US, and Australia have.

Regardless, I also think that kind of speaks to the problems the US will having in forming a NATO-esque alliance against China - a lot of the current and potential US allies in the region have issues in their bilateral relationships with each other and many of them (like, as you allude to, the Philippines) are more squishy towards China than the American foreign policy establishment would like them to. 
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 08:09:50 PM »

Guys, stop trying to make Asian Operation Barbarossa a thing. It's not going to be a thing. Vietnamese Communists and South Korean leftists don't want to die for Raytheon and Boeing.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 11:48:00 PM »

My guess is that it has more to do with very volatile Japan-South Korean relationship rather than problems on the Korean peninsula. Someone who knows South Korea better than can probably also comment on this, but I believe that South Korea also has traditionally had a less confrontational stance toward China than Japan, the US, and Australia have.

Regardless, I also think that kind of speaks to the problems the US will having in forming a NATO-esque alliance against China - a lot of the current and potential US allies in the region have issues in their bilateral relationships with each other and many of them (like, as you allude to, the Philippines) are more squishy towards China than the American foreign policy establishment would like them to. 

Regarding the foundations of such a bloc, Japan, Taiwan, and Vietnam would constitute key members. All three countries have key grievances against China that can be used to build trust. The Korean situation would be a bit stickier, since Beijing uses Pyongyang as a convenient buffer state in the Manchuria region.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2021, 10:22:15 AM »

Daddy Shirvan has a new one out on Chinese sea power, for all you people who jerk off to RAND Corporation publications and white papers.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2021, 03:50:19 AM »

Just watching it now.

I am a bit startled at how fast China has gained naval power. Of course, whether or not it was startling, it would be concerning regardless.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies