Progressives: Should we let some states secede? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:47:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Progressives: Should we let some states secede? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Progressives: Should we let some states secede?  (Read 1686 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 03, 2021, 11:51:36 PM »

Honestly I’m trying to think of what the downside to this could be.  Perhaps it should require affirmative votes in two consecutive referenda spaced a couple years apart.

The inevitable denial of basic rights to marginalized groups in those states by bigoted governments that would no longer face any federal oversight?

The states that might secede all have tiny populations compared to the tens of millions of people whose rights would be enhanced in a slightly smaller and reformed union.
Anyone who thinks the GOP wouldn't just adjust and be able to win in an America that has 2-3 safe GOP states spun off into their own nations is either kidding themselves or in delusion.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 01:59:44 AM »

No. We should be adding to our territory, not subtracting from it.
What’s this supposed to mean?
Presumably expanding the borders of the US. Not sure what direction Dule is suggesting, if any.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 05:23:29 AM »
« Edited: May 05, 2021, 05:29:10 AM by Southern Deputy Speaker Punxsutawney Phil »

Honestly I’m trying to think of what the downside to this could be.  Perhaps it should require affirmative votes in two consecutive referenda spaced a couple years apart.

The inevitable denial of basic rights to marginalized groups in those states by bigoted governments that would no longer face any federal oversight?

The states that might secede all have tiny populations compared to the tens of millions of people whose rights would be enhanced in a slightly smaller and reformed union.
Anyone who thinks the GOP wouldn't just adjust and be able to win in an America that has 2-3 safe GOP states spun off into their own nations is either kidding themselves or in delusion.

Yeah, that's precisely the point — the GOP would have to adjust. As in, make itself palatable to a majority of the electorate. The reason Republicans are so bats**+ crazy at the moment is that they can still wield power with the support of a demented minority. Remove a good chunk of their safe Senate seats, and they'd be forced to reacquaint themselves with reality.
Tbh, if you endorse the shrinking of the United States on such grounds*, there is a good case to be made that you are worse or just as bad as the GOP or at least that your modus operandi is worse than the GOP. At least the GOP hasn't harmed the territorial integrity of my country.
Imagine looking Marjorie Taylor Greene look positively sane!
*=except if it's a joke. I do hope this thread is one big joke
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 06:58:21 AM »
« Edited: May 05, 2021, 10:31:09 AM by YE »

Honestly I’m trying to think of what the downside to this could be.  Perhaps it should require affirmative votes in two consecutive referenda spaced a couple years apart.

Yeah, that's precisely the point — the GOP would have to adjust. As in, make itself palatable to a majority of the electorate. The reason Republicans are so bats**+ crazy at the moment is that they can still wield power with the support of a demented minority. Remove a good chunk of their safe Senate seats, and they'd be forced to reacquaint themselves with reality.
Tbh, if you endorse the shrinking of the United States on such grounds*, there is a good case to be made that you are worse or just as bad as the GOP or at least that your modus operandi is worse than the GOP. At least the GOP hasn't harmed the territorial integrity of my country.
Imagine looking Marjorie Taylor Greene look positively sane!
*=except if it's a joke. I do hope this thread is one big joke

You're deflecting. Republican Senators haven't represented a majority of population since 1999. Increasingly rarely do they earn a plurality of the national vote. If failing to garner majority support consistently relegated them to minority status, the party would have to adjust. Absent WY, WV, ND, SD, KY, MS, AL, etc., it's almost inconceivable that the GOP would currently constitute the cult of someone who committed treason and incited an insurrection. You may not like it, but it's the truth.  
Whatever may or may not be true about the GOP, does not justify the absolutely hideous proposal you are putting forth.
I would rather the GOP, the current GOP as it is right now, win three consecutive presidential elections than see a single state leave the Union. And I'm sure Abraham Lincoln would agree.
To quote our esteemed moderator, "Are you people insane?"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies