Stuart Rothenberg: don't get carried away with the new PA and VA numbers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:14:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Stuart Rothenberg: don't get carried away with the new PA and VA numbers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Stuart Rothenberg: don't get carried away with the new PA and VA numbers  (Read 1658 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2006, 11:24:02 PM »

http://rothenbergpoliticalreport.blogspot.com/2006/08/pennsylvania-senate-virginia-senate.html
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 12:08:53 AM »

The "fundamental dynamics" in PA are being altered. We now see that the speaking/debating part of the race is being highlighted. Santorum and Casey will now take part in high profiled debates (one being on national television on a big political weekend) and we can all agree (with the exception of the political geniuses from New York and Illinois) that Santorum is favored. We also have seen the campaign shift to campaign advertising. Santorum is on TV while Casey is struggling to get on the air. Santorum will stay on TV through Election day while we don't even know when Casey is going to go up. This race is different now.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 12:40:16 AM »

The "fundamental dynamics" in PA are being altered. We now see that the speaking/debating part of the race is being highlighted. Santorum and Casey will now take part in high profiled debates (one being on national television on a big political weekend) and we can all agree (with the exception of the political geniuses from New York and Illinois) that Santorum is favored. We also have seen the campaign shift to campaign advertising. Santorum is on TV while Casey is struggling to get on the air. Santorum will stay on TV through Election day while we don't even know when Casey is going to go up. This race is different now.

Santorum's blog says Casey may be broke. Is that true? If he hasn't run TV ads yet, where did all his money go?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 02:01:26 AM »

I like how you only attack their thoughts on the PA race but not the VA race. You are even more partisan then me.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 04:41:55 AM »

I wouldn't be so sure that the race changed, Santorum approvals are still are pretty low. Until he gets his approvals above 45 percent like the ad says, I think he will continue to lose.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 09:52:48 AM »

The Republican Party ... buying election since 1864.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 10:40:30 AM »

I like how you only attack their thoughts on the PA race but not the VA race. You are even more partisan then me.

The supposed reason for Webb's comeback in Virginia is a verbal gaffe by his opponent. Santorum's reason for his comeback is actually campaigning and running good ads around the state. Webb simply doesn't have the funds to do that yet.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 11:22:39 AM »

So because I am not interested in the VA race I am a hack?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 12:35:28 PM »

If Casey hasn't been running ads yet though, that's NOT a good thing for Santorum fans. If down by 6 is the best he can muster with a media blackout for his opponent, things will not be getting too good once Casey starts running ads. And the DSCC will help him out if his funds run too low.

I'm not worried about the debates. There's no way Casey can be worse than Bush was in the first debate, and he still won after that disaster.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 12:37:43 PM »

If Casey hasn't been running ads yet though, that's NOT a good thing for Santorum fans. If down by 6 is the best he can muster with a media blackout for his opponent, things will not be getting too good once Casey starts running ads. And the DSCC will help him out if his funds run too low.

I'm not worried about the debates. There's no way Casey can be worse than Bush was in the first debate, and he still won after that disaster.

Exactly. There is basically a 45-47% anti-Santorum vote that Casey is guaranteed to get simply because he's not Santorum. He only has to campaign and advertise for that last few percent.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 12:37:56 PM »

Casey's ads are boring and yes, he can be a disaster in the debates. The man puts people to sleep.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 12:40:56 PM »

Casey's ads are boring and yes, he can be a disaster in the debates. The man puts people to sleep.

Remember Bush in the first debate? If someone can win after that debate, it really underscores the fact that debates usually don't change peoples' minds (which research has proven).

Also how many people are going to even watch the debates? It won't even be near a majority of voters.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 12:41:50 PM »

If Casey hasn't been running ads yet though, that's NOT a good thing for Santorum fans. If down by 6 is the best he can muster with a media
blackout for his opponent,

Not the case. He's closed from 14 points down, to ten points down, to six points down in two months based on advertising. There's no evidence he's peaked.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Along with Virginia, Ohio, Tennessee, Missouri, etc, etc, etc.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There is a way. You've never seen either speak in person so you don't know how vast of a difference there is.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 12:43:22 PM »

You've never seen either speak in person so you don't know how vast of a difference there is.

Don't even bother anymore. He is ignorant. Even Flyers is on our side when it comes to Casey's speaking/debating skills.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 12:45:46 PM »

Then he can count on the insomiac votes, eh?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies