BREAKING: Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health (Mississippi abortion case): Cert granted
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:55:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  BREAKING: Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health (Mississippi abortion case): Cert granted
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Cert granted

Cert denied

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: BREAKING: Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health (Mississippi abortion case): Cert granted  (Read 2705 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2021, 09:27:46 AM »
« edited: May 17, 2021, 08:37:15 AM by ERM64man »

What happens? The case has been relisted since September 2, 2020.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 10:10:20 AM »

Will Alito vote to turn America into ‘a dictatorship’ here, ERM64?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 10:35:32 AM »

Yes. You know what I said isn’t something I just imagined. You know that I have heard it from other places.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 10:50:54 AM »

Yes. You know what I said isn’t something I just imagined. You know that I have heard it from other places.

Oh I see, you're Bronz?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 10:53:47 AM »

Oh I see, you're Bronz?
Read this book. It’s mentioned in it. I think cert is granted in the Mississippi abortion case.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 10:55:19 AM »

Oh I see, you're Bronz?
Read this book. It’s mentioned in it. I think cert is granted in the Mississippi abortion case.

Can you direct me to a quote?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 10:58:31 AM »

Oh I see, you're Bronz?

I haven’t read it yet, but SCOTUS is frequently mentioned in it. I believe it also mentions frivolous lawsuits attempting to make the 1964 Civil Rights Act serve as a national bathroom bill similar to North Carolina’s HB2.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 11:06:48 AM »

Oh I see, you're Bronz?

I haven’t read it yet, but SCOTUS is frequently mentioned in it. I believe it also mentions frivolous lawsuits attempting to make the 1964 Civil Rights Act serve as a national bathroom bill similar to North Carolina’s HB2.

Oh I see. You claim that members of the highest court in the land support a dictatorship based on a book which isn't about the Court and you haven't actually read?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 11:21:12 AM »

Oh I see, you're Bronz?

Oh I see. You claim that members of the highest court in the land support a dictatorship based on a book which isn't about the Court and you haven't actually read?

SCOTUS is a major part of the book, which is about a GOP plan to create a dictatorship.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 11:22:30 AM »

And how does the SCOTUS play out in this dictatorship?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 11:26:22 AM »

Attacks on voting rights, declaring fetal personhood (which makes abortion illegal nationwide, even in blue states), reinstating sodomy laws, upholding state laws similar to Section 28, upholding xenophobic immigration policies, and possibly making the 1964 Civil Rights Act serve as a bathroom bill.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 11:35:55 AM »

Attacks on voting rights, declaring fetal personhood (which makes abortion illegal nationwide, even in blue states), reinstating sodomy laws, upholding state laws similar to Section 28, upholding xenophobic immigration policies, and possibly making the 1964 Civil Rights Act serve as a bathroom bill.

Plainly they cannot be accused of setting up a dictatorship for things the elected branches have done. How do they reinstate sodomy laws? What constitutional basis would they have to declare abortion illegal?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 11:48:04 AM »

Plainly they cannot be accused of setting up a dictatorship for things the elected branches have done. How do they reinstate sodomy laws? What constitutional basis would they have to declare abortion illegal?
It seems you’re assuming support for precedent. Reinstating state sodomy laws would be done by overruling Lawrence v. Texas. Declaring fetal personhood would be done by declaring fetuses as people under the 14th Amendment.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 11:51:18 AM »

It seems you’re assuming support for precedent. Reinstating state sodomy laws would be done by overruling Lawrence v. Texas. Declaring fetal personhood would be done by declaring fetuses as people under the 14th Amendment.

You're missing my point. Overruling Lawrence wouldn't necessarily criminalise the activity. How can it declare abortion illegal? How can the Court promulgate positive law affecting individuals rather than the government?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 11:53:41 AM »

You're missing my point. Overruling Lawrence wouldn't necessarily criminalise the activity. How can it declare abortion illegal? How can the Court promulgate positive law affecting individuals rather than the government?
Some states still have sodomy laws on the books. An overruling would make them enforceable. If a fetus is considered a person, terminating the fetus would be considered murder.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2021, 11:55:09 AM »

Some states still have sodomy laws on the books. An overruling would make them enforceable. If a fetus is considered a person, terminating the fetus would be considered murder.

Would they be enforced? How does the SCOTUS have the power to criminalise murder?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2021, 11:58:54 AM »

Would they be enforced? How does the SCOTUS have the power to criminalise murder?

Yes, GOP-run states would enforce them. Abortion would be considered murder not by SCOTUS, but by state law, because a fetus is considered a person, therefore, terminating a fetus is considered murder under state law as interpreted by SCOTUS.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2021, 12:00:14 PM »

Yes, GOP-run states would enforce them. Abortion would be considered murder not by SCOTUS, but by state law, because a fetus is considered a person, therefore, terminating a fetus is considered murder under state law as interpreted by SCOTUS.

Well if it's the states doing it don't blame the Court. What you're saying is in effect they would overrule Roe v. Wade.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2021, 12:04:46 PM »

Well if it's the states doing it don't blame the Court. What you're saying is in effect they would overrule Roe v. Wade.
It’s SCOTUS that would allow the states to enforce it. SCOTUS deserves blame. Fetal personhood actually goes farther than overruling Roe v. Wade, which established a constitutional right to abortion. Fetal personhood isn’t simply declaring there’s no constitutional right to abortion, it declares that a fetus has a right to life protection by state murder laws under the 14th Amendment.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2021, 12:07:48 PM »

It’s SCOTUS that would allow the states to enforce it. SCOTUS deserves blame. Fetal personhood actually goes farther than overruling Roe v. Wade, which established a constitutional right to abortion. Fetal personhood isn’t simply declaring there’s no constitutional right to abortion, it declares that a fetus has a right to life protection by state murder laws under the 14th Amendment.

Oh I get your point about the abortion. Still, the States can always amend their laws. Don't tell me that SCOTUS deserves the blame for the States enforcing unwise laws.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2021, 12:10:51 PM »

Oh I get your point about the abortion. Still, the States can always amend their laws. Don't tell me that SCOTUS deserves the blame for the States enforcing unwise laws.
GOP-run states won’t amend their laws. With Lawrence v. Texas in place, they can’t enforce their sodomy laws. I think cert will be granted in the MS abortion case.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2021, 12:13:33 PM »

GOP-run states won’t amend their laws. With Lawrence v. Texas in place, they can’t enforce their sodomy laws. I think cert will be granted in the MS abortion case.

Well then the GOP is at fault.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2021, 12:15:06 PM »

Well then the GOP is at fault.

The GOP includes six SCOTUS justices. One will even dissent from the other five sometimes.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2021, 12:31:59 PM »

Thank you, ERM. Need I point out how silly what you said was, or that I was referring to state legislatures and executives?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2021, 02:17:17 PM »

Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health was relisted 20 times. What’s going on?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies