Any parting thoughts about Trump's reign as president? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:54:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Any parting thoughts about Trump's reign as president? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Any parting thoughts about Trump's reign as president?  (Read 2406 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: May 03, 2021, 08:08:16 PM »

He is a reprehensible human being and the worst President in our country's history.

This * 10. I'll spare you all reiterating my common Mantra that he exceeds the failures and fecklessness in the face of a massive deadly domestic crisis that Buchanan had, dwarfs the abuse of the office of the presidency of Nixon, can exceed The graft and Corruption of the Harding Administration both in scope and his and his family's personal involvement. In short, he not only exceeds each of our worst Presidents in their respective failings, but combines them!

Two final observations. First, I assumed his presidency was going to be a god-awful disaster. It was far far worse than I ever dreamed possible.

Secondly and perhaps most tellingly, if anyone had told me in January of 2017 what was going to happen in his administration over the next four years, I would have assumed that what's the publican's by large head slap themselves on their Collective forehead, had enormous waves a buyer remorse, and had voted Somebody, almost literally anybody in as a primary Challenger to replace him. The most telling part of the Trump administration of all is how 90 + percent of Republicans of embraced it and all of its called a personality aspects, functioning first world democracy status be damned. It is very tough to have an ounce of respect for anyone who voted for Trump's re-election, barring perhaps the tiny tiny sliver who finally broke with him over the January 6th Insurrection. But still, about 90% of all Republicans. They are the disease, Trump was just the symptom.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 04:45:04 PM »

America first turned out to be America alone in practice. The foreign policy of realpolitik equivalent of shooting ourselves in our Collective groin.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 10:25:18 AM »

Why did something like Bridgegate hurt Chris Christie more than any of Trump’s scandals hurt him?

In what sense? Trump lost reelection, no? Were it not for his stolen/illegitimate SCOTUS appointments, Trump's biggest accomplishment would be elevating the COVID death toll by tens/hundreds of thousands. To the extent that Trump's scandals didn't bother most Republicans, the answer is pretty simple: he's a racist authoritarian. Which is exactly what they're looking for in a leader. As Liz Cheney can attest.   

You're actually both right. I do see Dark Lord's point. Christy ran and governed as - - by New Jersey standards at least - - a relatively anti-corruption politician. Getting caught up in a petty ass Scandal like that that arguably resulted in the deaths of individuals whose ambulance to the hospital was held up by the backlog, stood out like a sore thumb and in fact a sore forearm.

Trump, by comparison, head so so so so many scandals and shocking displays of psychopathy in what he said and thought, actions end Deeds which would result in the impeachment of any other president in a normal timeline, that Americans literally became inured to it. We paragraph plus, Chris Christie didn't have the benefit of about 45% of the population being hardcore Unapologetic cultists or enablers, primarily the former.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 03:49:38 PM »

Basically gave liberals free reign to embrace the neoconservatives. Accomplished nothing of note, but basically eviscerated the American left by getting them to simp for the CIA, military-industrial complex, wall street, etc.

And now we have stuff like this.

In fairness, anyone involved in journalism during the past over 50 years should expect item number two to be hardly unknown, and item number one to be commonplace.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies