Biden administration finally does something good
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 01:42:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden administration finally does something good
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Biden administration finally does something good  (Read 1584 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2021, 07:17:03 PM »

How could Biden do this?  This is just going to create an illicit tobacco market that will result in more over-policing against POC communities (a whopping 85% of Black smokers smoke menthols, FWIW.) 

Jokes aside, I'm increasing of the opinion that "public health" advocacy is the worst form of nanny-statism.  Let people have their vices, life sucks enough for most people as is, sheesh.   

It may cause an increase in people rolling cigarettes as it would be quite easy to buy menthol (or peppermint oil) to loose tobacco. So people who insist on smoking menthol cigarettes could still do so as it would only be a manufacturing ban. It just wouldn't be as convenient as buying pre-mentholated cigarettes. Anything more aggressive than a manufacturing ban would require Congressional or State action, which is extremely unlikely to happen anytime this decade.
The FDA can regulate sales, and the states (many of which have party trifectas) and municipalities can regulate sales and possession.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2021, 07:51:03 PM »

Embarrassing
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2021, 11:19:52 PM »

How the hell are people supposed to keep their breath minty fresh?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2021, 04:45:27 AM »

Wink
How could Biden do this?  This is just going to create an illicit tobacco market that will result in more over-policing against POC communities (a whopping 85% of Black smokers smoke methols, FWIW.) 

Jokes aside, I'm increasing of the opinion that "public health" advocacy is the worst form of nanny-statism.  Let people have their vices, life sucks enough for most people as is, sheesh.   

I will note that we banned here menthols last year and there hasn't really been an illicit tobacco market for menthols. I see no reason why it would be different in other places.

My smoker friends who used to smoke menthols just switched (back) to regular tobacco anyways; though I am sure banning menthols does make it harder for people to get into tobacco in the first place
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2021, 08:03:13 AM »

As a Republican, I believe that people should be able to control what they can and can’t do with their own bodies. That’s why I oppose this.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2021, 08:23:12 AM »

As a Republican, I believe that people should be able to control what they can and can’t do with their own bodies. That’s why I oppose this.
Then why the f**k do you call yourself a Marxist?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2021, 08:30:37 AM »

Because I don’t believe that people’s right to self-determination ends when they enter the workplace.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2021, 10:17:44 AM »

Isn't this the line people use to defend legal abortion? Tongue
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2021, 10:23:50 AM »

Isn't this the line people use to defend legal abortion? Tongue

That's the joke.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2021, 11:04:42 AM »

How could Biden do this?  This is just going to create an illicit tobacco market that will result in more over-policing against POC communities (a whopping 85% of Black smokers smoke menthols, FWIW.) 

It may cause an increase in people rolling cigarettes as it would be quite easy to buy menthol (or peppermint oil) to loose tobacco. So people who insist on smoking menthol cigarettes could still do so as it would only be a manufacturing ban. It just wouldn't be as convenient as buying pre-mentholated cigarettes. Anything more aggressive than a manufacturing ban would require Congressional or State action, which is extremely unlikely to happen anytime this decade.
The FDA can regulate sales, and the states (many of which have party trifectas) and municipalities can regulate sales and possession.

If you think anyone is going to ban loose tobacco, menthol, or essential oils, you're an idiot. Banning their precombination into a sellable product is possible, and is exactly what the FDA is proposing.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2021, 06:05:47 PM »

Because I don’t believe that people’s right to self-determination ends when they enter the workplace.

So you are a Marxist Republican?
Hmmmm.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2024, 01:19:17 AM »

and it never even happened
The White House has missed its deadline to publish a rule banning menthol cigarettes, raising ire among public health advocates that the policy will be indefinitely delayed by election year politics. 

In an effort to force the administration to act, three anti-tobacco public health groups on Tuesday sued the Food and Drug Administration and its parent agency, the Department of Health and Human Services. 

“Because of Defendants’ inaction, tobacco companies have continued to use menthol cigarettes to target youth, women, and the Black community — all to the detriment of public health,” the groups said in their complaint, which was filed in the Northern District of California.   

Health officials initially targeted last August to publish the rule to ban menthol. But at the end of last year, the Biden administration delayed the ban until March after fierce lobbying from critics — including the tobacco industry — seemingly spooked the White House that such a move could anger Black smokers and harm President Biden’s reelection chances.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2024, 01:29:31 AM »

and it never even happened
The White House has missed its deadline to publish a rule banning menthol cigarettes, raising ire among public health advocates that the policy will be indefinitely delayed by election year politics. 

In an effort to force the administration to act, three anti-tobacco public health groups on Tuesday sued the Food and Drug Administration and its parent agency, the Department of Health and Human Services. 

“Because of Defendants’ inaction, tobacco companies have continued to use menthol cigarettes to target youth, women, and the Black community — all to the detriment of public health,” the groups said in their complaint, which was filed in the Northern District of California.   

Health officials initially targeted last August to publish the rule to ban menthol. But at the end of last year, the Biden administration delayed the ban until March after fierce lobbying from critics — including the tobacco industry — seemingly spooked the White House that such a move could anger Black smokers and harm President Biden’s reelection chances.

Biden: killing his own base because he's worried they might not vote for him.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2024, 01:41:50 AM »

Lol the reason why users and some voters have forgotten the stimulus checks that we all gotten in 21 is that they spent the money this isn't the only thing right that Biden did. It's inflation that's causing our prices to go up not our pay
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies