2020 RHODE ISLAND Congressional Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:45:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 RHODE ISLAND Congressional Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2020 RHODE ISLAND Congressional Redistricting  (Read 3135 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2021, 04:14:23 PM »

Because apparently this is still a thing!
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 04:15:15 PM »

Biggest surprise of the day IMO
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 05:28:24 PM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/b1903607-7c98-476c-8857-4abfe5ec189c

💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 05:30:25 PM »

In this thread, every map is a NUT map.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 05:38:28 PM »

Looks like meat痴 back on the menu
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 05:41:36 PM »

I wonder if the two Dem congressmen in RI high fived after finding out.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 06:18:57 PM »

I wonder if the two Dem congressmen in RI high fived after finding out.

Er uh probably not. Langevin is a quadriplegic
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 06:36:35 PM »

Literally my first ever RI map.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/d46e0275-0187-46e8-bd59-8ff7fec0f606

Seems pretty natural one district gets Washington/Kent, other district get Newport/Bristol,   everything just seems to depend what happens to Providence county (which is ~60% of the state).
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 07:41:49 PM »

Fair map (which obviously won't happen)

Biden most certainly won this 2nd, probably by like 5 points.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 07:49:25 PM »

Non-meme map:

https://davesredistricting.org/join/e15d12c3-8a6d-464e-afe2-733fc4e4d81f
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 10:59:42 PM »

Literally my first ever RI map.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/d46e0275-0187-46e8-bd59-8ff7fec0f606

Seems pretty natural one district gets Washington/Kent, other district get Newport/Bristol,   everything just seems to depend what happens to Providence county (which is ~60% of the state).
Think this double bunks the two incumbents.

https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::eb36b641-7476-4586-80c7-4aca13979a98

This is my solution. Shores up Langevin by drawing his district into Pawtucket. Also has the advantage of keeping Providence whole.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 07:13:45 AM »

My take on a non-partisan map; I do not like the elongated shape of the eastern district

The Providence dark blue district is Clinton+30, D+17
The "rest of the state" light blue district is Clinton+4, D+4

Downside to this map is having to split both Bristol county and Providence county though that can easily be fixed (for whatever reason I wanted the northern and western boundary of the Providence district to be the suburban ring road)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 10:12:22 AM »

Of all the reapportionment news, this by far makes me most happy - that RI held on.

Rhode Island is basically Massachusetts. IMO should be a part of MA
(but would cost Dems 2 Senators so no thank you but in a perfect world where that could be offset I壇 wish it to be so)
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2021, 01:08:02 AM »

Fair map that only splits one municipality (Cranston) and has a population deviation of 1.

Clinton only won RI-02 here by less than 400 votes. Biden however carried it by a comfortable 7.8%. It could definitely be competitive however.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2021, 11:20:53 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2021, 10:47:03 AM by ERM64man »

This map only splits one municipality (Providence) and has a difference of only 15 residents in population between the two districts. Why do most maps have Newport County in RI-01 when it doesn't have land connectivity to the rest of the state? Placing Newport County in RI-02 makes RI-01 more compact and less elongated.

BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2021, 12:03:29 PM »

This map only splits one municipality (Providence) and has a difference of only 15 residents in population between the two districts. Why do most maps have Newport County in RI-01 when it doesn't have land connectivity to the rest of the state? Placing Newport County in RI-02 makes RI-01 more compact and less elongated.

You can get from Newport to Bristol on the Mt. Hope Bridge, so there is major road connectivity at least. I most often pair it in RI-01 for fairness and competitiveness' sake, but that would make RI-02 less safe for Dems. I don't know which works better from a COI perspective.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2021, 12:14:09 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2021, 12:19:28 PM by ERM64man »

You can get from Newport to Bristol on the Mt. Hope Bridge, so there is major road connectivity at least. I most often pair it in RI-01 for fairness and competitiveness' sake, but that would make RI-02 less safe for Dems. I don't know which works better from a COI perspective.
There's road connectivity from Newport to Washington. Placing Newport in RI-02 makes the map more compact. The only parts of Providence County on my map in RI-02 are close to Warwick, resulting in Providence County becoming closer to whole, although still split. Isn't that good from a COI perspective?

BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2021, 12:26:44 PM »

There's road connectivity from Newport to Washington. Placing Newport in RI-02 makes the map more compact. The only parts of Providence County on my map in RI-02 are close to Warwick, resulting in Providence County becoming closer to whole, although still split. Isn't that good from a COI perspective?

I don't know if compactness is a major factor for the legislature to consider. I think we can expect a least-change map that doesn't split Providence.

In terms of pairing Newport, the state senate and assembly maps do not pair any districts with Washington County. Multiple cross into Bristol.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2021, 12:33:00 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2021, 12:41:21 PM by ERM64man »

I don't know if compactness is a major factor for the legislature to consider. I think we can expect a least-change map that doesn't split Providence.

In terms of pairing Newport, the state senate and assembly maps do not pair any districts with Washington County. Multiple cross into Bristol.
Providence is already split. Only one Assembly district in Bristol crosses into Providence. Only one State Senate district crosses into Bristol. Is all of Providence going to be in RI-01 after redistricting?
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2021, 12:48:15 PM »

Providence is already split. Is all of Providence going to be in RI-01 after redistricting?
I imagine so, but we'll know when we know.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2021, 01:09:16 PM »

Providence is already split. Is all of Providence going to be in RI-01 after redistricting?
Why do you think Providence won't be split anymore? Is that even possible on a least-change map?
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2021, 01:17:40 PM »

Why do you think Providence won't be split anymore? Is that even possible on a least-change map?
Yes, see my map above. The only municipality split is Cranston.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2021, 01:20:06 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2021, 01:23:44 PM by ERM64man »

Yes, see my map above. The only municipality split is Cranston.
I thought it was better to split larger communities if necessary while keeping smaller ones whole. Langevin could also be vulnerable under that map.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2021, 02:44:29 AM »

Fair map that only splits one municipality (Cranston) and has a population deviation of 1.

-snip-

Clinton only won RI-02 here by less than 400 votes. Biden however carried it by a comfortable 7.8%. It could definitely be competitive however.

I don't know if I would describe either of these maps as "fair," but I tried my hand at making a set of Republican gerrymanders.

This first one splits only Cranston as well and is fully road contiguous. This map trades your perfect population deviation for a deviation of seven, but shifts the district to R+0.3, with Trump winning by 1% in 2016 and losing by 6% in 2020.

This second map splits no municipalities with the same 1% Trump win in 2016 and 6% Biden win in 2020, and even increases the PVI slightly to R+0.35. However, the population deviation does jump to 777.

It's also possible to make a relatively Republican district without splitting municipalities by trading East Greenwich and North Providence for Narragansett, New Shoreham, and South Kingstown. This lowers the population deviation to 329, but makes the district D+0.4, with Clinton winning by 620 votes in 2016 and Biden winning by over 7% in 2020.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2021, 10:54:40 AM »

What would be considered a fair map?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies