John Kerry?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:48:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  John Kerry?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: John Kerry?  (Read 2275 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2006, 12:43:48 PM »

I was reading the SUSA polls someone posted on the forum and it said John Kerry had an approval rating of 49%approve to about 44%disapprove does anybody think he might have trouble keeping his senate seat in 08 if this trend coutunies?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 01:36:18 PM »

extremely doubtful, I'd say.  Of course he might give up his Senate seat to run for president, but I'd imagine he'd be out of the presidential contest by March, and would refile for the senate.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 01:55:14 PM »

I think the blue collar workers in Massachusetts are getting tired of Kerry. He has taken a further turn to the left since his loss to Bush.

If he run in '08 against Mitt Romney or Peter Blute, I think (and hope) Kerry loses.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 02:11:54 PM »

I think the blue collar workers in Massachusetts are getting tired of Kerry. He has taken a further turn to the left since his loss to Bush.

If he run in '08 against Mitt Romney or Peter Blute, I think (and hope) Kerry loses.
Maybe Bill Weld will come to the conclusion that it is time for some payback aganst Kerry in 08. I think Weld would stand a better chance this time around as he has plenty of ammo to go after Kerry with.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 02:17:43 PM »

I wouldn't hold your breath on Bill Weld. He's been living in New York for the last ten years.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 02:45:37 PM »

im really expecting kerry to give up his senate seat in 08 for an all-or-nothing prsidential run.

i think andy card would likely run on the republican side.  paul celluci and christy mohos are also possiblities.

on the democrat side it would come down to markey, delahunt and neehan.  barney frank would not be a serious threat to win.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 03:16:02 PM »

I think John Kerry will try to run for Senate in 2008 and will probably win, but he would be nearly 70 years old in 2014, so I doubt he would win in 2014, though thats not entirely certain either, just look at Ted Kennedy, Robert Byrd, and the late Strom Thurmann.  Ted Kennedy has been in the Senate since his brother John was assassinated.  Robert Byrd has been in since the Eisenhower administration in 1958 and at 88 years old is still running again.  Strom Thurmann was in for a long time before health forced him to quit.

I wouldn't count Kerry out of anything, yet, for 2008.
Conan
conan

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 05:20:04 PM »

John Kerry will have no trouble keeping his seat. I dont see how the blue collar people of Mass would want to throw out one of their best defenders in the Senate. Besides he doesnt have any credible challengers besides Romney and Mass wouldnt send an R to Washington.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2006, 05:32:13 PM »

Kerry has the seat as long as he wants it.  The state is just too Democratic & the GOP field is just too weak to knock off Kerryy.  Romney wouldn' stand a chance especially since he has started to run well to the right.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2006, 05:34:54 PM »

Maybe Bill Weld will come to the conclusion that it is time for some payback aganst Kerry in 08. I think Weld would stand a better chance this time around as he has plenty of ammo to go after Kerry with.

Weld doesn't live in Massachusetts.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2006, 07:02:39 PM »

Weld doesn't live in Massachusetts.
He could move back
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 09:37:15 PM »

No. Kerry would win easily in 2008 if he chose to run for the Senate again. Some on the left are just mad at him for losing the election and changing his positions on everything for political reasons. Still they would certainly hold their noses and vote for him in '08 over a Republican candidate. Mass. is liberal as all hell, to say the least.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 09:43:57 PM »

BARNEY FRANK FOR SENATE 2008!!!
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 06:40:12 AM »

I second that Smiley

I disagree Mitty, I think when Kerry retires Frank is a possibility. In 2004 he was planning to run if Kerry won. And look at it geographically, Western Mass is the most liberal (i.e. Amherst, Pittsfield), so he'd win there, and his own district is more centrist than that yet he keeps winning there.

His only problems would be Plymouth and Barnstable Counties (the most GOP in the state) and that sex scandal from 15 years ago, which would certainly be a big negative and come back to haunt him.

I really like Bill Weld, I wish he'd run for Governor this year in MA instead of NY. I haven't looked at the polls lately but I'm not sure if Deval Patrick can win.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 09:58:10 AM »

I second that Smiley

I disagree Mitty, I think when Kerry retires Frank is a possibility. In 2004 he was planning to run if Kerry won. And look at it geographically, Western Mass is the most liberal (i.e. Amherst, Pittsfield), so he'd win there, and his own district is more centrist than that yet he keeps winning there.

His only problems would be Plymouth and Barnstable Counties (the most GOP in the state) and that sex scandal from 15 years ago, which would certainly be a big negative and come back to haunt him.

I really like Bill Weld, I wish he'd run for Governor this year in MA instead of NY. I haven't looked at the polls lately but I'm not sure if Deval Patrick can win.

if barney frank were the democrat nominee for the us senate, hed lose barnstable, plymouth, dukes, essex and worcester counties...against a halfway decent republican.

but frank wont win the democrat nomination.  markey, meehan and delahunt are all itching to run and are all much more serious people than frank.  if those three dont work out, you have mcgovern, who could also beat frank in the primary.

barney frank is like the jesse jackson for gay people.  in other words, a joke.

and no, deval patrick wont win the general election.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 10:55:27 AM »

I think Barney Frank would breath new life into a dule black and white senate.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2006, 12:34:16 PM »

I'll go out a limb, and predict that the Republican gets more votes than in 2002.

If you look at the 2002 results, you'll realize I'm not saying much, of course Kerry gets easily re-elected, people were just upset at him for not beating the worst President ever.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 12:34:50 PM »

I'll go out a limb, and predict that the Republican gets more votes than in 2002.

That's good since they didn't run an opponent then.

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2006, 02:12:36 PM »

True, though the Libertarian got 19 percent, as they were essentially the de facto Republican candidate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 09:37:50 PM »

True, though the Libertarian got 19 percent, as they were essentially the de facto Republican candidate.

I know about the race. I just wanted to make sure that jfern got the facts right.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies