French presidential election, 2022
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:36:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French presidential election, 2022
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 76
Author Topic: French presidential election, 2022  (Read 125327 times)
DL
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: December 02, 2021, 09:32:44 AM »

Whatever happened to the party of Jacques Chirac and Alain Juppé?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #301 on: December 02, 2021, 09:39:32 AM »

lol at Bertrand being in fourth place
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #302 on: December 02, 2021, 09:52:41 AM »

They figured out that it was better to work with rather than challenge Macron, meaning everyone left who actually wants to go for the office has to be be sufficiently divergent from both those guys and Macron.
DL
Canada

« Reply #303 on: December 02, 2021, 09:58:33 AM »

If you are Macron who do you WANT LR to run? Ciotti or Pecresse or does it matter?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #304 on: December 02, 2021, 10:29:19 AM »

LR online primary 'congress' first round results from today, before the runoff tomorrow/Saturday:

Éric Ciotti 25.59%
Valérie Pécresse 25%
Michel Barnier 23.93%
Xavier Bertrand 22.36%
Philippe Juvin 3.13%

t/o 80.80% (113,038 votes)

Pretty huge surprise: nobody saw Ciotti come close to winning. If you're wondering, all are basically hard-right and obsessively focused on immigration and security, except maybe Juvin. Ciotti is the most far-right: he'd support Zemmour 'his friend' over Macron, and had the most far-right platform of any candidate. Pécresse opportunistically also campaigned on pretty hard-right themes.

Honestly Pecresse isnt really hard right, but because of the Zemmour hype sort of adopted the themes in a really awkward way. Pecresse in the debate last night on France 2 where they discussed Health and the economy just shoehorned in a "can we talk about ISLAMISM" that everybody saw through. Its otherwise quite clear she is going for the economic liberal but sensible mother of the catholic house image.

If you are Macron who do you WANT LR to run? Ciotti or Pecresse or does it matter?

Ciotti for the reasons above. Also Ciotti means basically the death of LR.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #305 on: December 02, 2021, 12:15:28 PM »

1. The video makes all these evocations to French "grandeur" (some would say "delusions of grandeur") - and yet the entire soundtrack is Beethoven - who was German! You'd think he'd at least find some inspirational French music.

My guess is Zemmour is smart and the music choice was designed to elicit this sort of response so that he can fire back that Beethoven's Symphony No. 7 is (like so much of his work) a reflection on Napoleonic France and therefore appropriate for a campaign in the Napoleonic tradition. You could fire back that the Allegretto is a negative assessment of Napoleon, but then Zemmour could fire back that he is the sort of Frenchman who proudly aims to be seen negatively by Germans.

This sort of mistake-that-isn't tactic was a favourite of Nixon and all great modern politicians.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #306 on: December 02, 2021, 12:35:20 PM »

I think Etch-a-sketching to whatever position is perceived to be popular with no regard for past statements can still be found across the French political spectrum.
DL
Canada

« Reply #307 on: December 02, 2021, 02:11:27 PM »

I had never even heard of Ciotti before. Who is he?
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #308 on: December 02, 2021, 02:28:29 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2021, 03:13:10 PM by Coldstream »

It’s a bit like the 2016/17 primary, everyone was concentrating on Juppe & Sarkozy that no one saw the hardest right candidate (Fillon) come through. Though nominating Ciotti seems like a good way to turn the party in to simply an auxiliary of Zemmour or Le Pen, and to finish 6th. Though I’d still expect Pecresse to win the primary now.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #309 on: December 02, 2021, 02:36:12 PM »

I presume LR/the broad center-right will get third place in the legislative elections if Ciotti is their nominee.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #310 on: December 02, 2021, 02:45:02 PM »

ughhhh, what a horrible choice. Ciotti is a far-right ghoul and Pécresse has been the bane of the area where I grew up for many decades. She's on paper more "presentable", but in practice she's a cynical creep who'd do anything for power.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #311 on: December 02, 2021, 02:45:19 PM »

It makes perfect sense to consider nominating a candidate proposing a mixture of hardcore neoliberalism and fascism as there is such a massive shortage of both amongst the candidates already declared.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #312 on: December 02, 2021, 02:56:31 PM »

It makes perfect sense to consider nominating a candidate proposing a mixture of hardcore neoliberalism and fascism as there is such a massive shortage of both amongst the candidates already declared.

ciotti is not fascist. And not "neoliberal".
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #313 on: December 02, 2021, 02:58:54 PM »

I had never even heard of Ciotti before. Who is he?

Deputy for the Alpes-Maritimes (for a Nice constituency) since 2007, boss of the powerful LR federation in the department since 2018, former president of the departmental council between 2008 and 2015. He began as a protégé of Christian Estrosi, the mayor of Nice since 2008, but since 2017-8, when Estrosi became more moderate and more macronista-inclined, the two men have become sworn enemies.

His far-right standing is somewhat more credible and genuine than the cynical, opportunistic hard-right posturing of Barnier, Bertrand and Pécresse. He's been known for his focus on security/authority, public order and immigration issues for most of the time he's been in parliament - in 2010, he was the author of a law which suspended or eliminated family benefits in case of frequent, unjustified school absenteeism of a student (repealed in 2013), and in 2011 of another law which created a military supervision for juvenile delinquents over 16.

He was a loyal Sarkozy and Fillon ally (and has made a point of saying that he was the only candidate who stood by Fillon in 2017 after the scandal). In 2017, he refused to endorse Macron in the runoff, and now says that the only difference between LR and RN is LR's capacity to govern. He claims to be loyal to the heritage of Pasqua and Séguin (i.e. souverainiste right), although he's a hardcore '80s neoliberal which Séguin wasn't.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #314 on: December 02, 2021, 03:38:09 PM »

you should know!

and I think the prince was referring to Pecresse
DL
Canada

« Reply #315 on: December 02, 2021, 03:49:47 PM »

Regardless of whether LR ends up with Ciotti or Pecresse, is there any scenario where either of them makes it into the second round in the spring?
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #316 on: December 02, 2021, 04:15:18 PM »

Germany: "Oh no, we have a far right party winning seats in parliament!"

Flanders: "only one? We have two far right parties!"

Netherlands: "Pathetic, we have three far right parties in our parliament"

France: "hold my beer..."
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #317 on: December 02, 2021, 04:43:13 PM »

We all know that you are happy that there are at least three candidates that you like.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #318 on: December 02, 2021, 04:58:27 PM »

Tbh I'm not surprised in the slightest that Bertrand didn't make the second round. He always struck me as a paper tiger.

What I was surprised by was Ciotti making the second round. I thought it would be Pécresse and Barnier.

With hindsight I get Ciotti making it, but I was not predicting that at all.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #319 on: December 02, 2021, 04:59:50 PM »

Regardless of whether LR ends up with Ciotti or Pecresse, is there any scenario where either of them makes it into the second round in the spring?

Imo, Ciotti has no chance. He's simply way too similar to Le Pen and Zemmour.

Pécresse probably not, but if Macron's support collapses in the coming months, she'll pick that up so her chances, while very low, are not zero.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #320 on: December 02, 2021, 06:02:56 PM »

Yeah, my first thought was something along the lines of "this is excellent news for Anne Hidalgo".

Anyway Mélenchon and Zemmour had a debate on BFMTV this evening. I didn't watch because, frankly, I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon. But, given that he has been... everywhere... over the last week or so (this is how censorship works apparently), I'm increasingly convinced that Zemmour's mooted candidacy is mostly intended to make Le Pen look like a reasonable, open minded and inclusive moderate by comparision.

I've increasingly come to this conclusion as well, and I'm afraid it will work...
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #321 on: December 04, 2021, 08:35:56 AM »

Pecresse elected with 61 % (and 69K votes). No surprise. Good result for Ciotti.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #322 on: December 04, 2021, 10:37:34 AM »

Pecresse elected with 61 % (and 69K votes). No surprise. Good result for Ciotti.

How is it a good result for him? That's not a particularly close margin
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #323 on: December 04, 2021, 10:47:14 AM »

He didn't have a favourable vote transfer environment. All 3 drop outs were closer to Pecresse.

But it's also Umengus being Umengus and spinning even the slightest thing in the right's favour. You have to understand him, he comes from a political environment where his cucked right-wing party celebrate coming 7th place in the entire country and their leader not even elected by preference votes.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #324 on: December 04, 2021, 11:01:11 AM »

He didn't have a favourable vote transfer environment. All 3 drop outs were closer to Pecresse.

But it's also Umengus being Umengus and spinning even the slightest thing in the right's favour. You have to understand him, he comes from a political environment where his cucked right-wing party celebrate coming 7th place in the entire country and their leader not even elected by preference votes.
I remember Al saying that Umengus is a supporter of VB.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 76  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies