The New Campaign Trail
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:48:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The New Campaign Trail
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24
Author Topic: The New Campaign Trail  (Read 50554 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: December 11, 2022, 10:57:19 PM »

Anyone played the new 1864 campaign mod?

I discovered it through Vlogging Through History on YouTube, who coordinated with them and released a playthrough the same day as the launch.

I played it twice and the first time won every state except Kentucky. The second time I lost the Mid-Atlantic region but held on thanks to Ohio and Maryland.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #401 on: December 18, 2022, 07:10:07 PM »

Won with Teddy in 1912:

Chose La Follete, Attacked Wilson Hard, went all in on trust busting and advocated for a strong FP
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #402 on: December 19, 2022, 01:21:43 AM »

My best result yet with McGovern on "just" Easy mode (apparently it's unwinnable on "Normal" or higher difficulty).

Zenobiyl
United States

« Reply #403 on: December 21, 2022, 01:13:16 PM »

My best result yet with McGovern on "just" Easy mode (apparently it's unwinnable on "Normal" or higher difficulty).

I’m pretty sure you can win on normal with Chisholm as VP.
ListMan38
Rookie
United States

« Reply #404 on: December 23, 2022, 01:58:36 PM »

I've just published an 1836 mod btw if anyone is interested
Pink Panther

« Reply #405 on: December 23, 2022, 07:29:38 PM »

I've just published an 1836 mod btw if anyone is interested
"This is a good, Jacksonian answer that will motivate your base. As always, make sure to find the right balance between getting your troops out and appealing to undecided voters."
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #406 on: December 24, 2022, 09:18:31 PM »

Defeated Gore with McCain
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #407 on: December 27, 2022, 06:32:53 PM »

After a while I played a game, and it was quite fun.

I played the classic 2012 edition, as Mitt Romney (with Rob Portman as my running mate).

The race was ultimately a dead heat, boiling down to, ironically given their great importance in the primaries as well, NH and IA. Romney was leading in the EC 266-262, meaning that Obama would have to win both states to clinch the presidency (and Romney would need either or both to cross the finish line). Ultimately, IA was called first (Obama+0.2) and NH was subsequently called for Romney (49.8-49.5%). Definitely a pretty exciting game!

I was also satisfied because I won VA, where I sent Romney for most of his campaign visits. It, like all of Romney's states, was necessary for his victory.

States decided by margins of greater than 20 points are the darkest shade. States decided by double-digits, but by less than 20 points, are the next-darkest shade. States decided by single-digits, but by over 5 points, are the middle-shade (note: there was no such Romney state). States decided by under 5 points, but more than a point, are a shade lighter. States decided by under one point (just IA and NH) have the lightest shading.
I tried to shade the states on the map, but halfway through I accidentally shut the tab, lost my progress and decided not to bother. Instead, here are all the states decided by single-digit margins, ordered from closest to least close (despite me saying earlier that NH was decided by 0.3% and Iowa by 0.2%, that was a rounding error and it's actually the opposite, as you see below):

New Hampshire: R+0.24
Iowa: D+0.26
Colorado: D+0.74
Nevada: D+0.76
Pennsylvania: D+1.07
Wisconsin: D+1.44
Florida: R+2.54
Virginia: R+2.81
Ohio: R+2.89

Minnesota: D+3.53
Michigan: D+4.89

North Carolina: R+4.93
New Mexico: D+6.49
Maine: D+6.62
Washington: D+6.79
(perhaps the biggest difference between IRL 2012 result and in-game result)
Oregon: D+7.67
Delaware: D+7.75

Despite the closest state breaking for Romney, there was a large number of states that narrowly broke for Obama - had there been a universal swing of just 1.5 points to the right, a national PV of Romney+0.5, Romney would have won 321 electoral votes, 51 more than he managed, while a similar swing of 1.5 points to the left, to a national PV of Obama+2.5, would've bought Obama just NH's 4 electoral votes, and just barely given him the presidency (with 272 electoral votes).

Apparently, this would be similar enough to 2000 in that the Republican winning by one very closely decided state while the Democrat won the popular vote, since Obama won the national PV 50.0-49.0%, with about 1.3 million votes more than Romney.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #408 on: January 04, 2023, 02:22:32 AM »

Got this very unusual map but yet Tucker is a very unusual candidate. Ran as a populist but not overboard candidate and managed to lose only as a result of Texas. I bet the county map would be that much more interesting though.

Popular Vote:
Gavin Newsom: 50.4%/291 E.V.
Tucker Carlson: 45.8%/247 E.V.

Closest States:
Texas: .94% (Tipping Point state: Carlson win)

Closer States:
Florida: 1.77%
Minnesota: 1.88%
Arizona: 2.08%
Michigan: 3.09%
Georgia: 3.21%
Oregon: 3.83%
Pennsylvania: 3.85%
New Hampshire: 3.93%
Wisconsin: 4.50%
North Carolina: 4.75%

Close States:
Maine (At. lg): 5.86%
Nevada: 6.89%
Ohio: 8.95%
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #409 on: January 04, 2023, 02:27:22 AM »

I played the classic 2012 edition, as Mitt Romney (with Rob Portman as my running mate).

The race was ultimately a dead heat, boiling down to, ironically given their great importance in the primaries as well, NH and IA. Romney was leading in the EC 266-262, meaning that Obama would have to win both states to clinch the presidency (and Romney would need either or both to cross the finish line). Ultimately, IA was called first (Obama+0.2) and NH was subsequently called for Romney (49.8-49.5%). Definitely a pretty exciting game!

I was also satisfied because I won VA, where I sent Romney for most of his campaign visits. It, like all of Romney's states, was necessary for his victory.

States decided by margins of greater than 20 points are the darkest shade. States decided by double-digits, but by less than 20 points, are the next-darkest shade. States decided by single-digits, but by over 5 points, are the middle-shade (note: there was no such Romney state). States decided by under 5 points, but more than a point, are a shade lighter. States decided by under one point (just IA and NH) have the lightest shading.
I tried to shade the states on the map, but halfway through I accidentally shut the tab, lost my progress and decided not to bother. Instead, here are all the states decided by single-digit margins, ordered from closest to least close (despite me saying earlier that NH was decided by 0.3% and Iowa by 0.2%, that was a rounding error and it's actually the opposite, as you see below):

Despite the closest state breaking for Romney, there was a large number of states that narrowly broke for Obama - had there been a universal swing of just 1.5 points to the right, a national PV of Romney+0.5, Romney would have won 321 electoral votes, 51 more than he managed, while a similar swing of 1.5 points to the left, to a national PV of Obama+2.5, would've bought Obama just NH's 4 electoral votes, and just barely given him the presidency (with 272 electoral votes).

Apparently, this would be similar enough to 2000 in that the Republican winning by one very closely decided state while the Democrat won the popular vote, since Obama won the national PV 50.0-49.0%, with about 1.3 million votes more than Romney.

This gives me real 2000 vibes
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #410 on: January 04, 2023, 01:42:40 PM »

This gives me real 2000 vibes

I'm cool with it tho because this time my side won  Sunglasses
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #411 on: January 06, 2023, 02:58:08 PM »

Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #412 on: January 06, 2023, 04:10:04 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2023, 04:26:11 PM by Ragnaroni »

I tried for Goldwater, I'll admit I flip flopped between the south and the midwest and probably seemed erratic on the civil rights stuff

How do I get mods to work?

I kicked the crap out of Jimmy Carter
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #413 on: January 08, 2023, 11:50:25 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2023, 01:44:24 PM by Blue Grit »

"I won before they called California, but as if there was any doubt those hippies would vote for me. Getting a concession call from Bush was the biggest relief of my life, because now I knew I'd never have to see his damn monkey face again. Before stepping on stage to give my victory speech, an aide suggested I swap out my gold Day-Date for a Timex. I told him to shove it. At the podium, surrounded by enough confetti to turn Staten Island into even more of a landfill, I hit all the beats those fools wanted. I'd maintain our country's so-called positive course while leading us into a more prosperous 21st century under fresh, innovative leadership, and the screaming throngs were so like putty in my hands that it was even more pathetic than usual. I nearly gagged."

"Yet for all the praise I couldn't help but glance over to Donald. I wanted nothing more than to hurry up and head to his suite for the after-party. He'd be sure to have a bunch of girls there, from those Yugoslavian countries we've been bombing. I wondered what it would sound like if one of them fell from the penthouse and splattered on Fifth Avenue. She wouldn't be missed. I think about this while I'm telling the audience that I'll expand job opportunities for all Americans, as if anything I do would stop this nation from filling with cashiers selling made-in-China crap. I could tell them anything else while I have them under my control. I could break from the script, tell them they're all squealing pigs, or that their taste in what they call fashion and music is so gauche it makes me sick, and yet I don't. I am simply not there."

Bateman/Trump: 362 EVs, 50.2%
Bush/Cheney: 176 EVs, 47.0 %

(Thanks to Liminal/Lawer for helping solve my EV issue)
Liminal Trans Girl
Lawer
United States

P P P
« Reply #414 on: January 09, 2023, 11:26:26 AM »

"I won before they called California, but as if there was any doubt those hippies would vote for me. Getting a concession call from Bush was the biggest relief of my life, because now I knew I'd never have to see his damn monkey face again. Before stepping on stage to give my victory speech, an aide suggested I swap out my gold Day-Date for a Timex. I told him to shove it. At the podium, surrounded by enough confetti to turn Staten Island into even more of a landfill, I hit all the beats those fools wanted. I'd maintain our country's so-called positive course while leading us into a more prosperous 21st century under fresh, innovative leadership, and the screaming throngs were so like putty in my hands that it was even more pathetic than usual. I nearly gagged."

"Yet for all the praise I couldn't help but glance over to Donald. I wanted nothing more than to hurry up and head to his suite for the after-party. He'd be sure to have a bunch of girls there, from those Yugoslavian countries we've been bombing. I wondered what it would sound like if one of them fell from the penthouse and splattered on Fifth Avenue. She wouldn't be missed. I think about this while I'm telling the audience that I'll expand job opportunities for all Americans, as if anything I do would stop this nation from filling with cashiers selling made-in-China crap. I could tell them anything else while I have them under my control. I could break from the script, tell them they're all squealing pigs, or that their taste in what they call fashion and music is so gauche it makes me sick, and yet I don't. I am simply not there."

Bateman/Trump: 362 EVs, 50.2%
Bush/Cheney: 176 EVs, 47.0 %

(PS: any way to get rid of the unallocated/faithless vote from DC in the EV calc?)

Click the DC Box and add one to the Democrats vote
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #415 on: January 09, 2023, 09:44:07 PM »

Won a huge landslide with Reagan , running a pretty similar campaign as he did in OTL(with the exception of the Bronx trip):

GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #416 on: January 14, 2023, 02:30:39 AM »

Clay V Cass best case on normal:

Clay/Fillmore: 54.4%
Cass/Butler: 39.1%
Van Buren/Adams Sr.: 6.5%

On Cakewalk:

Clay/Fillmore: 62.2%
Cass/Butler: 32.4%
Van Buren/Adams Sr.: 5.4%

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #417 on: January 15, 2023, 06:14:04 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2023, 06:17:35 PM by Old School Republican »

Won with Tucker/DeSantis in the Upon a Cross with Globalization Scenario and won with GA GOP while MN/MI are dem.

I had 288 with this map , meaning they had winner take all in Nebraska and Maine otherwise I win with 286.

Basically I won by moderating sort on some of the charged rhetoric while still attacking wokeness, neoliberalism and corporatism.

Here are how some of the battlegrounds went:

TX: Tucker+ 4.9
FL : Tucker+8
GA : Tucker +3.1
PA: Tucker+5
WI: Tucker+3

MI: Newsom + 1.1
MN: Newsom +2
AZ: Newsom+ 0.1
NV: Newsom +0.8

NH: Tucker +2.8
ME: Tucker+ 6.7
NC: Tucker+ 9.3

Btw I lost the popular vote by 2.3 and this is the message

CARLSON SCRAPES BY WITH AN ELECTORAL COLLEGE MAJORITY! PROTESTS SWEEP THE NATION!
You’ve done it. After 16 long years of Democratic rule, the White House is back in Republican hands. However, it was a very close shave and a few thousand votes swinging the other way could have easily made Newsom the winner and you almost certainly lost the popular vote. Democrats are already demanding recounts, but they’re unlikely to affect anything right now and after receiving a discouraged concession call from Newsom, protests of ‘Not My President!’ swept the nation. It seems your fiery style of politics has been validated as it’s returned the GOP to the White House when the neoconservatism of Paul Ryan couldn’t.

Unfortunately, your approval ratings are negative before you even begin your term, so you’ll have to change certain parts of the electoral college to ensure those illegal, Un-American immigrants don’t vote you out of office. Rest assured, with the current Republican supermajorities, you should have no problems passing anything you need to. If you get those voting reforms done along with new Supreme Court Justices to confirm them, you should easily crush any one of those woke Democrats who challenge you in 2028. Here’s to you, President Carlson!
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #418 on: January 15, 2023, 07:10:07 PM »

Cartoonist Christian Weston Chandler (R-VA)/Fmr. Governor Sarah Palin (R-AK): 274 EV, 34.8%
President Barack Obama (D-IL)/Vice President Joe Biden (D-DE): 264 EV, 58.7%
Liquid Chris (I-??)/??: 0 EV, 5.1%

Headcanon:
President Chandler would be impeached in 2013, a scant 2 months after their swearing-in after even more news of their many misdeeds came to light, including an attempt to sexually assault their own mother after an election victory party. They would threaten senators into opposing impeachment, but it was not enough as the effects of Chandler staying President were clear. Less than a dozen senators voted against conviction, and Chandler was arrested outside of the White House on April 3rd, 2013. Their approval rating never went above 20% during their short term. Their house was seized due to the unsanitary conditions there shortly after their conviction.

Sarah Palin ascended to the Presidency and promised a "return to sanity", something that everyone would have laughed at years ago, but now was true. She brought up fellow former Governor Mike Huckabee to be VP, and though the Democratic senate was extremely divided on him, he was confirmed. Palin's term was horrendous, with the fallout from Chandler's presidency guaranteeing a massive D wave in 2014, with incumbents like Mark Pryor, who were near certain to be DOA otherwise, winning, as well as other otherwise long-shots like Sens. Stacy Abrams (D-GA), Alison Grimes (D-KY), and Frank Holleman (D-SC). Palin lost re-election in 2016 to Bernie Sanders, as Obama's wing of the party (including Hillary due to her high position in his admin) were still extremely damaged from their loss to the likes of Chris-Chan. In Bernie's term, the electoral college was abolished to prevent such a horrific occurrence from happening again.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #419 on: January 17, 2023, 11:30:12 PM »

They added a Jeb Mod for 2016 and I ended up winning a landslide With Jeb !!!

This is how I did in the battlegrounds:

Florida: Jeb +14.4
North Carolina: Jeb +10.1
Virginia: Jeb +1.6
Maine: Jeb +3.9
New Hampshire: Jeb +5.9
Pennsylvania: Jeb +7.1
Ohio: Jeb +18.9
Michigan: Jeb +6.5
Wisconsin: Jeb +8.5
Minnesota: Jeb +5.2
Colorado: Jeb +0.2
Nevada: Jeb +3.1

New Mexico: Hillary +2.1
Oregon: Hillary +4.2

This is what the winning prompt says:

Jeb Bush wins in a landslide!
You couldn’t believe it, you see states that even modest pollsters couldn’t see you winning as they go to Jeb Bush. As the results are finished, it’s clear that Americans aren’t as opposed to another Bush getting to the presidency.

On the political front, the MAGA Republicans are not much of a threat as your victory sees moderate Republicans come out of the woodwork to support you, although Ted Cruz wouldn’t hurt to have as your Vice President. It also looks like Republicans will win the Senate, meaning you can accomplish your agenda without much backlash, although you don’t want that to get to your head.

If all goes well you can certainly see yourself getting a second term, but let's not get ahead of ourselves as your first term is yet to begin.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #420 on: January 18, 2023, 09:31:38 PM »

Won with Tucker/DeSantis in the Upon a Cross with Globalization Scenario and won with GA GOP while MN/MI are dem.

I had 288 with this map , meaning they had winner take all in Nebraska and Maine otherwise I win with 286.

Basically I won by moderating sort on some of the charged rhetoric while still attacking wokeness, neoliberalism and corporatism.

Here are how some of the battlegrounds went:

TX: Tucker+ 4.9
FL : Tucker+8
GA : Tucker +3.1
PA: Tucker+5
WI: Tucker+3

MI: Newsom + 1.1
MN: Newsom +2
AZ: Newsom+ 0.1
NV: Newsom +0.8

NH: Tucker +2.8
ME: Tucker+ 6.7
NC: Tucker+ 9.3

Btw I lost the popular vote by 2.3 and this is the message

CARLSON SCRAPES BY WITH AN ELECTORAL COLLEGE MAJORITY! PROTESTS SWEEP THE NATION!
You’ve done it. After 16 long years of Democratic rule, the White House is back in Republican hands. However, it was a very close shave and a few thousand votes swinging the other way could have easily made Newsom the winner and you almost certainly lost the popular vote. Democrats are already demanding recounts, but they’re unlikely to affect anything right now and after receiving a discouraged concession call from Newsom, protests of ‘Not My President!’ swept the nation. It seems your fiery style of politics has been validated as it’s returned the GOP to the White House when the neoconservatism of Paul Ryan couldn’t.

Unfortunately, your approval ratings are negative before you even begin your term, so you’ll have to change certain parts of the electoral college to ensure those illegal, Un-American immigrants don’t vote you out of office. Rest assured, with the current Republican supermajorities, you should have no problems passing anything you need to. If you get those voting reforms done along with new Supreme Court Justices to confirm them, you should easily crush any one of those woke Democrats who challenge you in 2028. Here’s to you, President Carlson!

I still don't understand why NH is Rep-leaning, it's one of the worst states for Tucker politically. If anything he'd have a better chance of winning Rhode Island but even then that would be hard if not nearly impossible for him to win.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #421 on: January 18, 2023, 09:33:00 PM »

Got this (relatively) modern looking map playing as Biden but I still lost to Bush Sr.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #422 on: January 18, 2023, 09:54:00 PM »

Played as Biden but answered as if I was running for President and didn't do terrible but still lost because of Reagan's popularity.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #423 on: January 18, 2023, 09:56:01 PM »

I tried for Goldwater, I'll admit I flip flopped between the south and the midwest and probably seemed erratic on the civil rights stuff

How do I get mods to work?

I kicked the crap out of Jimmy Carter

Interesting, LBJ did as well as Bill Clinton did in '92 and that election was 28 years earlier to the day.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #424 on: January 19, 2023, 01:28:13 AM »

Won with Gore/Clinton in 2008(This is surprisingly difficult)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies