Is Atlas significantly less ideologically diverse than it was 10-15 years ago? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:01:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is Atlas significantly less ideologically diverse than it was 10-15 years ago? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Atlas significantly less ideologically diverse than it was 10-15 years ago?  (Read 1765 times)
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« on: April 22, 2021, 12:17:07 PM »

Part of the problem is the type of Republican Atlas used to attract is exactly ground zero for going NeverTrump/leaving the GOP. If you're a right wing ideologue of the previous era who was thoughtful and read a lot of more theory minded people like Jonah Goldberg and Bill Kristol, you probably followed them right out of the GOP.

Then, for the Trumpers, changing cultural mores. How long would Statesrights, a poster with Confederate stuff in his sig who was openly not cool with blacks or gays, last on the forum now? And yet States was basically an ur-Trumper and I have no doubt he went Trump hard, but despite being one of our top all time posters, he'd not be welcome here now.

Atlas is almost the inverse of real-life situations for me.  Here, I find it super easy to fit in.  But it was incredibly difficult for me to co-exist with the College Republicans society in my undergrad.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 12:28:14 PM »

Part of the problem is the type of Republican Atlas used to attract is exactly ground zero for going NeverTrump/leaving the GOP. If you're a right wing ideologue of the previous era who was thoughtful and read a lot of more theory minded people like Jonah Goldberg and Bill Kristol, you probably followed them right out of the GOP.

Then, for the Trumpers, changing cultural mores. How long would Statesrights, a poster with Confederate stuff in his sig who was o

penly not cool with blacks or gays, last on the forum now? And yet States was basically an ur-Trumper and I have no doubt he went Trump hard, but despite being one of our top all time posters, he'd not be welcome here now.

Atlas is almost the inverse of real-life situations for me.  Here, I find it super easy to fit in.  But it was incredibly difficult for me to co-exist with the College Republicans society in my undergrad.

What were the issues you faced with the College Republicans society? I'm assuming it's because you're generally moderate and seem to lean somewhat left on social issues, but I would like to hear more

You summed it up quite nicely.  

Granted, I got along with pretty much everybody on a personal level.  I actually spent quite a bit of time with some of the guys (I was one of...three(?) women) away from the club due to Greek life.  

But ideologically, it was sometimes difficult to fit in and there were more than a few members who branded me a party traitor due to my outward disdain for figures like Donald Trump or Jim Jordan.  
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 07:00:22 AM »

I disagree with Virginia that demographics dictate this, since conservatives on Atlas underperform even what pure demographics would dictate. I even made a thread about it here. It is very easy to see why Atlas shouldn't be majority Republican/conservative based off of demographics, but do Atlas conservatives even reach the estimation of 30% or so? I definitely don't think 1/3 of the forum voted for Trump but I may be wrong.

I don't think it fully describes the partisan makeup of the forum, but it makes a large contribution. Also consider that north of 30-40% of this forum (depending on the time and poll you use) is LGBT, which is a heavily Democratic group - male or female.

Has there ever been any insight into why this forum has a significant LGBT presence?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies