Where are all the Republicans/Conservatives that "should" be on Atlas?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:18:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Where are all the Republicans/Conservatives that "should" be on Atlas?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Where are all the Republicans/Conservatives that "should" be on Atlas?  (Read 1852 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 09, 2020, 07:07:07 PM »

Basically what it says in the question. I was about to  ask this in the moderation thread, but decided it was better as a standalone thing.

For a start, we all know that Atlas skews extremely heavily male, almost 95% so. It also skews heavily young, albeit there is a decent sized community above 30 years old.

Anyways, per the 2018 exit polls, the Republicans won 51% of the male vote. They won 32% of the male vote. Sure, Atlas also skews very heavily LGBT (only 17% Republican). But it also skews more white than the US at large, which would balance this to some degree.

In any case, by an eyeball estimation, Republicans and right of center independents should be anywhere from 30 to 40% of Atlas posters. Yet, per the poll I made a while back on Biden vs Trump, we'd be lucky if they amounted to 25% of the site (and that's including the Jorgensen voters as conservatives. If I only included the Trumpists it'd be more like 15%)

So, what it says on the question: Why are conservatives, Republicans, right of center independents and Trumpists so underrepresented on Atlas? And if they are not on Atlas, where are all the conservatives commenting on the internet?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 07:16:14 PM »

Basically what it says in the question. I was about to  ask this in the moderation thread, but decided it was better as a standalone thing.

For a start, we all know that Atlas skews extremely heavily male, almost 95% so. It also skews heavily young, albeit there is a decent sized community above 30 years old.

Anyways, per the 2018 exit polls, the Republicans won 51% of the male vote. They won 32% of the male vote. Sure, Atlas also skews very heavily LGBT (only 17% Republican). But it also skews more white than the US at large, which would balance this to some degree.

In any case, by an eyeball estimation, Republicans and right of center independents should be anywhere from 30 to 40% of Atlas posters. Yet, per the poll I made a while back on Biden vs Trump, we'd be lucky if they amounted to 25% of the site (and that's including the Jorgensen voters as conservatives. If I only included the Trumpists it'd be more like 15%)

So, what it says on the question: Why are conservatives, Republicans, right of center independents and Trumpists so underrepresented on Atlas? And if they are not on Atlas, where are all the conservatives commenting on the internet?

Most conservatives and right-leaning types seem to comment on conservative websites-think of places like Fox News, Townhall, Breitbart, The Federalist, The Gateway Pundit, and the Daily Wire, to give you some examples. There are also a significant number of right-leaning types on Reddit and on CityData.com. A good number of right-leaning types who once posted on this forum have been banned (i.e. Reaganfan, Chairman Sanchez), and many of the others who are registered here rarely contribute at all. And of course, there are some forums where right-leaning types are effectively proscribed-just look at AlternateHistory.com, which bans just about anyone who does not espouse a left-leaning viewpoint on the issues. So that funnels them towards conservative websites as well.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 07:22:26 PM »

Most conservatives and right-leaning types seem to comment on conservative websites-think of places like Fox News, Townhall, Breitbart, The Federalist, The Gateway Pundit, and the Daily Wire, to give you some examples. There are also a significant number of right-leaning types on Reddit and on CityData.com. A good number of right-leaning types who once posted on this forum have been banned (i.e. Reaganfan, Chairman Sanchez), and many of the others who are registered here rarely contribute at all. And of course, there are some forums where right-leaning types are effectively proscribed-just look at AlternateHistory.com, which bans just about anyone who does not espouse a left-leaning viewpoint on the issues. So that funnels them towards conservative websites as well.

Didn't Reddit crack down recently on a lot of right of center subreddits, most notably /r/the_donald ; and tightened their policies?

(they also cracked down on left wing ones, notably /r/chapotraphouse, but it seemed to me that more conservative subreddits than left of center ones got banned)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 07:25:22 PM »

Didn't Reddit crack down recently on a lot of right of center subreddits, most notably /r/the_donald ; and tightened their policies?

(they also cracked down on left wing ones, notably /r/chapotraphouse, but it seemed to me that more conservative subreddits than left of center ones got banned)

CTH got banned for their landphobia Purple heart
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 07:26:50 PM »

CityData. That place is a hellhole.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 07:31:53 PM »

Basically what it says in the question. I was about to  ask this in the moderation thread, but decided it was better as a standalone thing.

They did. The Donald of course was banned, so that broke up one of the major meeting spaces for Trumpists and conservatives. If you'll notice, many of the sites that I listed in my earlier post-i.e. Breitbart, The Daily Wire, and The Gateway Pundit-routinely publish and disseminate false information, and many of the conservative posters on those sites post absolutely horrific things, of a racist, sexist, or homophobic nature. They tend to subscribe to conspiracy theories and to other such nonsense, which, if carried over to Atlas, would poison the quality of discussions here. In a way, I'm glad that many of these people do not post on this forum, because it would make things worse than they already are.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 01:32:47 AM »

Gave up and left, in many cases. Can't blame them either.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 02:26:00 AM »

They all became Democrats.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 04:53:02 AM »

most people are under informed, this place makes it hard for the under informed right leaning types to survive.  The left leaning under informed are able to hide easier.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 07:33:00 AM »

Most conservatives and right-leaning types seem to comment on conservative websites-think of places like Fox News, Townhall, Breitbart, The Federalist, The Gateway Pundit, and the Daily Wire, to give you some examples.
So, the answer the OP is looking for is...

Safe spaces.

That really tickles me for some reason.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 07:58:45 AM »

You don't think it's totally normal to have separate boards for "Legal Immigration" and "Illegal Immigration"?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 08:16:16 AM »

You don't think it's totally normal to have separate boards for "Legal Immigration" and "Illegal Immigration"?

It's crazy to have boards for immigration at all!
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 08:22:16 AM »

Why are conservatives, Republicans, right of center independents and Trumpists so underrepresented on Atlas?

I don't know....but this "Connecticut Conservative" is here.  Lucky you, LOL.  Wink
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 09:07:16 AM »

I'd like to know why people like Inks, bullmoose, or Torie, stopped posting. They were very respected around here.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 11:46:23 AM »

It's crazy to have boards for immigration at all!

Yeah, since most threads get derailed by rants about "anchor babies" anyway, or comparing what % of their former high school is now Spanish-speaking like some kind of contest.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2020, 07:05:41 PM »

most people are under informed, this place makes it hard for the under informed right leaning types to survive.  The left leaning under informed are able to hide easier.

You actually may have just hit the nail on the head here.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2020, 12:41:06 AM »

There was a time when I wasn't so hostile to Republicans.  Hard to believe now, but it's true.
In fact, I even served as a running-mate to one in the Fantasy Elections board, and in real life I had friends who were.  The years after President Obama was inaugurated marked the beginning of the end, and the advent of Donald Trump shut down any possibility I could even conceive of reaching across the aisle with anyone who considered that...creature...worth voting for.  
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2020, 02:32:24 AM »

They quit coming here when their worldview ceased incorporating any facts, and they don't want their bubble challenged.

Unfortunately the latter is increasingly applying to most of the Dems here as well.
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2020, 05:18:10 AM »

stormfront
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2020, 11:14:13 AM »

Liberal Democrats are just more likely to be politically active on the Internet.  This is true even among young people, 74% of liberal Democrats aged 18 to 49 engaged in political activity online while only 37% of Republicans did.  Online politics is and always has been a liberal space.

As far as Atlas specifically, I don't really think it's surprising that the community leans liberal given the Forum's subject matter (i.e., electoral politics, demography, geography, etc.)  These topics are going to attract people from academic, worldly backgrounds/inclinations caught up on the "big picture" (i.e., liberals) and not necessarily those more interested in more provincial family/religious/community life  (i.e., conservatives). 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2020, 11:29:10 AM »

I'd like to know why people like Inks, bullmoose, or Torie, stopped posting. They were very respected around here.

I don't think Torie is a Republican anymore. I can be mistaken, of course.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2020, 07:35:20 PM »

Liberal Democrats are just more likely to be politically active on the Internet.  This is true even among young people, 74% of liberal Democrats aged 18 to 49 engaged in political activity online while only 37% of Republicans did.  Online politics is and always has been a liberal space.

As far as Atlas specifically, I don't really think it's surprising that the community leans liberal given the Forum's subject matter (i.e., electoral politics, demography, geography, etc.)  These topics are going to attract people from academic, worldly backgrounds/inclinations caught up on the "big picture" (i.e., liberals) and not necessarily those more interested in more provincial family/religious/community life  (i.e., conservatives). 

Your description could very well help explain the difference between this forum and CityData.com. While CityData.com does include forums for electoral, political, and demographical/geographical discussion (as implied by its name), it also includes several sub-forums on topics such as "Marital Advice", "Entertainment", "Health and Wellness", "Genealogy", and the like. And as I've noted, there are a significant number of conservatives and Trumpists on that website, who are probably drawn by such topics. Their political analysis tends to be less "sophisticated" and more emotional, to put it mildly, then much of what can be found here.

In discussing websites where political discussion takes place, I forgot to mention RRHElections.com, which approaches politics from a right-leaning perspective. Some of the people who once posted or do post on this website (i.e. krazen1211, cinyc, Ifromnj) are active there, but most of its users of course, aren't present here. And in fact, a number of them have denigrated Atlas, and believe that it is an inferior website because of being dominated by "leftists." So those kinds of perceptions of what Atlas is about can influence who posts on here as well.
chubbygummy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2020, 07:37:06 PM »

Me
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2020, 07:43:44 PM »

I forget, Have all your socks been Conservatives?
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2020, 09:28:58 PM »

Many of the educated ones have, and they were disproportionately represented among the right of center population here. The increasing polarization along educational lines in the broader electorate means the newcomers will be more likely to be from the racist, fascistic, and unhinged rump of the right wing.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies