Kyrsten Sinema says she makes decisions by listening to business leaders, when asked about PRO Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:38:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kyrsten Sinema says she makes decisions by listening to business leaders, when asked about PRO Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kyrsten Sinema says she makes decisions by listening to business leaders, when asked about PRO Act  (Read 2772 times)
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: April 21, 2021, 09:03:26 PM »

Yawn. Seems like very bog-standard political-speak. Call me when she actually opposes it.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 01:20:55 AM »

I find it interesting that Delaware's Senators have not even received a small fraction of the blowback Sinema has faced despite being from a much bluer state and also voting against a $15 minimum wage.

They even did some coordinated thumbs-down show. Not quite "Fortnite dance on the poor" bad, but pretty damn close to it.

Of course, my hatred has been directed pretty clearly and strongly at those who deserve it, and the influence I can directly control. Although I'm starting to have second thoughts, given Sununu caving like a dog to the anti-mask lunatics.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 02:18:55 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2021, 02:29:30 AM by Make Democrats Have Standards Again »

The massive hate train for Kyrsten Sinema is utterly ridiculous.  I'm surprised at the level of restraint she's shown given how dedicated a large part of the internet is to turning her into the next Hillary Clinton.

I'm sure this quote will be taken out of context and spread around like wildfire until the lie becomes the truth, just like Joe Biden's "nothing will fundamentally change."

I think the hate that Sinema attracts is that she embodies the "f**k you, I've got mine" mentality you saw in figures like Paul Ryan. In addition, a lot of the left sees her as a traitor to the movement, as she was One Of Them in the past.

Kyrsten Sinema is one of the last products of the Offline political world. If someone like her tried to start a career in the age of Twitter and online archiving, they'd be crucified. The right would seize on her as Arizona's next AOC or Ilhan Omar, and people like you would be painting her as a Bernie Bro nutjob and an apologist for terrorism. But she was largely running in 2006 and 2008, long before normies grasped the concept of political hobbyism and Jo Schmo could do their own opposition research, so her comments about the Taliban and associations with 9/11 truthers faded into obscurity.

I think we all know what happened next. As a Congresswoman, she transformed from a Netroots progressive and the "most liberal representative in Arizona" (forgive the source) to one of the most moderate Democrats in the House. But even then, she was still one of 435. With the public view, she tacked even further to the right - so far that some are even questioning if she's more conservative than her newfound political idol Joe Manchin.

Her vote against the minimum wage was a perfect storm. Recall the mood for the moment. Democrats had just taken the Senate off of the backs of economic liberalism. We won in Geoorgia off of $15 and $1400. And when it came to $15, she not only voted no, she voted no in the most ostentatious way possible. Her new colleagues in Georgia voted for it. Her junior Senator voted for it. In fact, the only battleground Democrat to join her was Hassan - a Chamber of Commerce Democrat who was more concerned with its elimination of tipped minimum wages than anything else in the bill.

In contrast, the worst thing Manchin was the face of was sinking the nomination of a nominee the Bernie left saw as unqualified.

At best, Sinema is compromising her beliefs to try and be a dollar store John McCain. She embodies the old Democratic thought that I love to rant about. At worst, she has legitimately become a conservative because she's better off financially than she was 10 years ago.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 12:20:48 PM »

Lot to rebut here, folks:

No she doesn't.  She didn't have this f--k you attitude at all up until about three weeks ago when the left decided to make her target #1 for harassment and bulls--t.

Yeah, you totally missed my point. Read my post again and you'll get it.

Maybe it's immature of her to punch back when most politicians (e.g. Hillary) try to let that kind of s--t bounce off them and be above it.  I know if I was a politician and people (allegedly on my side) started writing hit pieces on me every day and flaming my social media accounts and began a coordinated campaign to spread lies about me and misrepresent my quotes and actions (as in the story of this very thread), I'd probably tell them to go f--k themselves multiple times a day.  I'd probably hire a social media manager whose entire job would be to "correct the record" every time someone came up with a new lie to spread about me, and another whose job would be to dunk on the idiots who believe those lies -- or as is more often the case, pretend to believe them to generate social proof.

And I think you've made it very clear you're only willing to care about Bro Discourse when it's the center being attacked. When it's the left, suddenly it's "not that bad" and it stops mattering.

I think you're pretending to care about her being harassed more because you agree with Sinema on this issue, but hey.

The left chose to make her a target by lying about her $15 minimum wage vote.  They invented this fantasy where she dressed up as an anime character and "did a Fortnite dance" after french-kissing Mitch McConnell to singlehandedly kill millions of poor people.  And spread that around until everyone in your small corner of the party believed it as gospel.

None of this has anything to do with politics.  A politician was targeted by a bunch of assholes for relentless demonization, and has since then been reacting according to her personality.

There's a video of her Fortnite dancing on the poor. Actually, you yourself even wrote up some cringe post defending her actions and saying that it was actually a Fortnite dance on the left for "harassing" her.

You know, because in MacArthur's world, if you're mean to the centrists online, you don't deserve a living wage.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 12:43:35 PM »

Man I love how you're cherry-picking Democratic senators whose votes "matter" here when 8 Democrats voted against it.

You even say "in contrast, Joe Manchin..." even though Joe Manchin also voted against the $15 amendment.

Manchin didn't publicly attach his face to the repeal. The only others to vote no in such an ostentatious way were Carper and Coons - who are well-known assholes.

You even say "the only battleground Democrat who joined her was Hassan" even though both NH Dems voted no.  But I guess NH is only a battleground state when it's Hassan.  And of course Tester's seat (he also voted no) is Safe Dem so Montana's not a battleground.

Almost like Shaheen is more entrenched, has a stronger reputation in New Hampshire, and has drawn weaker competition than Hassan has.

I also don't consider Manchin or Tester "battleground Senators". I didn't include them because I think they're both DOA come 2024.

Also I love how the left, who spent tons of energy attacking Ossoff and Warnock right up until the moment they got elected (as one does when one is a fifth column), immediately decided they deserved full credit for that victory and that the only reason we won Georgia was because of [whatever pet issue is pertinent in the current conversation].

lmao where did I ever do this? I've been very consistently defending Ossoff and Warnock ideologically (especially Warnock). I originally thought running Ossoff was a bad idea in the beginning because of his past performance, and believed Perdue would eke it out until the last week of the campaign, but I'm just a little bit sure he's shown he's improved.

Finally, "the most ostentatious way possible" is not true at all.  Plenty of senators vote yes/no using thumbs up/down.  You guys just feigned ignorance about the Senate so you could pretend Sinema is the only senator to ever do this.

He says, as I acknowledge a page beforehand that she was not the only Senator who did this. If you want my honest opinion, it was a very clumsy attempt to emulate John McCain's infamous thumbs down. Meanwhile, you not only acknowledged that she did it, but you defended it.

I personally have been more concerned with the fact that she voted no on the minimum wage. Mainly my two Senators deciding to simp for the GOP. Shaheen was just doing her donors' bidding when she voted no. Hassan was attempting to court them.

Oh, or maybe it wasn't the thumbs down, it was her bending her knees a little bit when she did it.  That six-inch bend of the knees is the difference between a normal "no" vote and "the most ostentatious no vote ever" huh?  Give me a break.  And also who cares how she delivered her vote?  It has nothing to do with politics.  It has nothing to do with anything!  Sinema is working with Romney right now to come up with a bill to reduce student debt -- a bipartisan bill that actually has a chance of passing.  That's what a good conservadem does and that's why she's there.  That's what actually matters -- not "oh she bent her knee when she voted no on daddy's pointless show amendment."

All while you conveniently leave out that Joe Biden has been pushing for $15. A $15 minimum wage increase is a mainstream Democratic priority now. Ossoff and Warnock won on $15 and $1400, not $11 and vague promises of bipartisanship. Of course, Biden is not an idiot and isn't going to scuttle important things like COVID relief because Sinema and Friends didn't vote for it. Comparing her to Hillary Clinton is an insult to Hillary herself.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 01:02:07 PM »

There you have it, folks.

I can't even imagine the amount of egregious privilege it takes to actually believe what MacArthur does.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 01:37:55 AM »

Beware the Knight Templar who disregards norms and institutions under the conviction they are right and not only considers themselves the only ones who can judge what is and isn't true and is good policy but is prepared to run roughshod over everyone who might oppose them as if they are nothing.
What the f#ck are you talking about
The importance of institutional stability and pragmatism in governance, mainly? You know, the kind of stuff that actually makes the government work in practice.
Interesting, do you have another tv tropes page I can read more about this on?
I don't see the point of doing that. I pulled that up only to make it easier for others to flesh out their understanding of what I was talking about.
If you want to argue that
"Sometimes, the Forces of Light and Goodness get a little bit too hardcore. In a deadly combination of Well-Intentioned Extremist, The Fundamentalist, Moral Guardians, and sometimes He Who Fights Monsters, they get blinded by themselves and their ideals, and this extreme becomes tyrannical sociopathy. It's not the Forces of Darkness' fault, but they are laughing their asses off and feel so satisfied knowing that they were right."
isn't in any way relevant to politics, then say so.

Are you high right now?

Do you ever get nervous?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies