Do you want to have children in the future?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 06:42:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you want to have children in the future?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Already have children

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 103

Author Topic: Do you want to have children in the future?  (Read 3531 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2021, 09:57:17 PM »

No, the world is already significantly overpopulated.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2021, 10:16:01 PM »

If only people in Africa and India thought like you.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2021, 10:57:23 PM »

No
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2021, 10:59:28 PM »

Thank Islam, Catholicism, and western resource exploitation induced generational poverty for that one.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2021, 11:01:49 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2021, 11:07:03 PM by Santander »

Thank Islam, Catholicism, and western resource exploitation induced generational poverty for that one.

India is majority Hindu. The Gulf countries had their natural resource sectors started by Western businesses. Singapore has zero natural resources but is doing just fine. Maybe these countries a) don't have great dirt, regardless of who takes the resources, and b) are too backwards to be helped?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2021, 11:17:57 PM »

No way!
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2021, 09:32:17 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2021, 09:49:54 AM by John Adams »

India is majority Hindu. The Gulf countries had their natural resource sectors started by Western businesses. Singapore has zero natural resources but is doing just fine. Maybe these countries a) don't have great dirt, regardless of who takes the resources, and b) are too backwards to be helped?

I don't know enough about Hinduism to know whether they explicitly discourage birth control. India is not completely Hindu either, it has something like 200 million Muslims. Taj Mahal, do you know it??? In any case, India's birth rate has been dropping steadily in recent years and is nowhere near the levels in sub-Saharan Africa, although I am sure they will continue to provide ample numbers of candidates for the American medical and technical fields in the foreseeable future.

The Gulf states are led by inbred sheikhs and have many problems with inequality and sectarian conflict, but have had on the whole a much different historical calculus than most African countries.

Relevancy of Singapore?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2021, 10:52:56 AM »

Yeah, one or two. Really depends on the economic situation of our family as I'm not really comfortable with adoption (even assuming my country's adoption laws weren't extremely discriminatory towards LGBTQ couples).
Boobs
HCP
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2021, 11:09:21 AM »

Again? Well...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2021, 11:48:11 AM »

I don't know enough about Hinduism to know whether they explicitly discourage birth control. India is not completely Hindu either, it has something like 200 million Muslims. Taj Mahal, do you know it??? In any case, India's birth rate has been dropping steadily in recent years and is nowhere near the levels in sub-Saharan Africa, although I am sure they will continue to provide ample numbers of candidates for the American medical and technical fields in the foreseeable future.

Since, by extension, your making pronouncements about Islam indicates that you do know enough about Islam, surely you know that birth control and family planning were practiced by companions of the Prophet.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2021, 11:58:48 AM »

Since, by extension, your making pronouncements about Islam indicates that you do know enough about Islam, surely you know that birth control and family planning were practiced by companions of the Prophet.

What are the relevant parts in the Koran (or other books) where this is mentioned ?

I haven’t read the Koran, Bible etc. and what it says about family planning ... (but I assume that most religious books would encourage huge families and capitalism and therefore destruction).
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2021, 12:00:15 PM »

Are you talking about natural family planning that the Catholic Church also promotes? That's not exactly an equatable solution to standard birth control methods, nor universally recognized or understood. Regardless, I'm talking more about Islamic culture and leadership in Islamic countries, as well as in Christian countries.

By the way, you never answered my question about why you posted the St. Louis Blues tweet in response to another comment about Islam.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2021, 12:10:57 PM »

What are the relevant parts in the Koran (or other books) where this is mentioned ?

I haven’t read the Koran, Bible etc. and what it says about family planning ... (but I assume that most religious books would encourage huge families and capitalism and therefore destruction).

The Koran does not mention contraception, but Islamic sources attest that members of the Muslim community during the life of the Prophet routinely practiced coitus interruptus as a form of birth control. By logical extension, the consensus position among both Sunnis and Shiites is that non-permanent forms of birth control are completely acceptable: in other words, vasectomies are impermissible but there is no religious issue with condoms.

Are you talking about natural family planning that the Catholic Church also promotes?

I am not.

By the way, you never answered my question about why you posted the St. Louis Blues tweet in response to another comment about Islam.

That was what I was reminded of by our friend Laki making an extremely bold (and obviously false) statement and immediately walking it back.

https://defector.com/everyone-reading-this-beat-writers-insanely-worded-tweet-understands-it-completely-or-at-least-is-capable-of-understanding-written-language/
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2021, 12:13:02 PM »

Of course.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2021, 12:15:49 PM »

I've obviously considered it, but it's probably better not to bring a bunch of little ones who look like me and act like me into this world. 
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2021, 01:23:20 PM »

Yes. Hopefully soon, once the pandemic is over.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2021, 02:31:31 PM »

The Koran does not mention contraception, but Islamic sources attest that members of the Muslim community during the life of the Prophet routinely practiced coitus interruptus as a form of birth control. By logical extension, the consensus position among both Sunnis and Shiites is that non-permanent forms of birth control are completely acceptable: in other words, vasectomies are impermissible but there is no religious issue with condoms.

Are you talking about natural family planning that the Catholic Church also promotes?

I am not.

That was what I was reminded of by our friend Laki making an extremely bold (and obviously false) statement and immediately walking it back.

https://defector.com/everyone-reading-this-beat-writers-insanely-worded-tweet-understands-it-completely-or-at-least-is-capable-of-understanding-written-language/

Pullin' out has long been an unreliable prevention of pregnancy.

Ah, I see, yes it was worded very strangely.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2021, 04:25:38 PM »

Pullin' out has long been an unreliable prevention of pregnancy.
They didn't exactly have IUDs in Muhammad's day.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2021, 07:14:21 PM »

Starting to think yes, but the context of my life makes it feel impossible. Add it to the pile of things making me depressed.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2021, 09:38:42 PM »

Yes, definitely.  I'd like to be a dad by the time I'm 30 (five years from now), but I can't control the Lord's timing.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2021, 10:22:13 PM »

Yes.  It's my sworn duty as a Democrat to produce as many Democratic voters as possible.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2021, 05:10:42 AM »

Yeah I would want to have children some day. Of course for that I first need to find a long term partner / wife which is easier said than done Tongue
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2021, 07:53:44 AM »

I already have some #TradLife.

Kids are great. People should have more of them.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2021, 09:36:13 AM »

Yes.  It's my sworn duty as a Democrat to produce as many Democratic voters as possible.

Be fruitful and multiply...

... so we can flip Texas
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2021, 09:42:26 AM »

How do you know your kids will have the same politics as you?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies