Columbus, OH police officer fatally shoots 15 year old Black girl
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:11:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Columbus, OH police officer fatally shoots 15 year old Black girl
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Columbus, OH police officer fatally shoots 15 year old Black girl  (Read 6777 times)
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2021, 07:49:38 AM »

With the information at hand and unless there is a game-changer information, this case should be pretty clear. A cop saved an innocent live. He protected and served. And despite taking a right, though not-easy decision in an extremely difficult 3-seconds long situation, he'll be having nightmares his entire life for shooting a kid.

But apparently it's not the case. According to Left, he's a racist, he's a monster.

A senior advisor to Obama... "in order to break up a knife fight"

"Teenagers have been having fights including fights involving knives for eons"

"executing a child"

And here is LeBron, sending a now-deleted tweet to this 50mln base. And the explanation why he deleted it.

Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2021, 09:31:19 AM »

Reading police related shooting threads over the years, it seems to me libertarians care more about loosening poison control regulations than anything related to the militarized police, voter suppression or systematic racism. Always defending the cop. No wonder 99% are white Christians or atheists who think being atheists makes them persecuted.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2021, 11:16:53 AM »

This case certainly was a trickier situation for the cop than first reports indicated. Still, why is the first option shoot to kill? Where is using the stun gun? Where is shooting the foot/leg rather than in the chest? This wasn't a gunman that was a danger to everyone in the area; it was a 15 year old girl. If she got shot in the leg, she would have stopped, and the cop could then diffuse the situation.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2021, 11:33:01 AM »

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2021, 11:44:13 AM »
« Edited: April 22, 2021, 12:06:51 PM by lfromnj »

Reading police related shooting threads over the years, it seems to me libertarians care more about loosening poison control regulations than anything related to the militarized police, voter suppression or systematic racism. Always defending the cop. No wonder 99% are white Christians or atheists who think being atheists makes them persecuted.

Police accountability/reform usually should take place at more lower/mid levels. The fact is most police shootings we see on bodycameras are justified(However a lot of killings could theoretically be corrupted by police planting fake evidence etc such as what happened in Baltimore)

Most people and that includes cops don't want to go around killing people for fun or the jollies. However plenty of people including cops are bullies. Cops can often abuse people at lower level events because that is fun for them. They can also steal people's assets through civil asset forfeiture because that gains them material assets. However all shooting a person usually does is bring attention.  It is easier to focus on events where someone died because that obviously is the gravest consequence the state can dole out . I have legitimately complained about shady/bad cop killings based on facts such as no-knock warrants. I am pretty sure I even made the thread about Breonna Taylor originally.  But I also will call out the media rampage/lies against what I currently believe with at least current evidence an innocent cop. It is obvious what the media is trying to do here and they should be called out.
Malarkey Decider
United States

« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2021, 12:04:50 PM »

Hey National Democrats - Can you not say that somebody who tried too stab somebody else "deserves justice"?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2021, 12:19:45 PM »

This case certainly was a trickier situation for the cop than first reports indicated. Still, why is the first option shoot to kill? Where is using the stun gun? Where is shooting the foot/leg rather than in the chest?

This has already been covered multiple times in this thread. A taser isn't guaranteed to be effective enough at that range and shooting at the leg/foot isn't something police are trained to do (anywhere in the world. Not just the US.) and isn't really a feasible thing to train people on, it's movie stuff. I'll repost this: https://abcnews.go.com/US/police-trained-shoot-wound-experts/story?id=40402933

NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2021, 12:25:36 PM »

Where is shooting the foot/leg rather than in the chest? This wasn't a gunman that was a danger to everyone in the area; it was a 15 year old girl. If she got shot in the leg, she would have stopped, and the cop could then diffuse the situation.

The only people who ever say this are people who have never shot a gun. It is not remotely realistic to shoot someone's moving limb from any distance. Cops (and everyone else for that matter) shoot for the center of mass, because it gives the best chance of actually hitting somewhere.

Also, shooting someone in the legs could kill them. Not as likely as a shot to the chest, but there is a real chance of bleeding out from a shot to the leg.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2021, 12:34:05 PM »

I find it funny how some people expect police officers to be some ninja who can safely disarm someone with a knife with their bear hands.

I've never seen any of the people criticizing this explain how this was supposed to be resolved non-violently. "Hey can you please not stab that person?" Don't think that was going to work.

LeBron is apparently not tired of seeing black people killed by other black people which happens far more often than their getting killed by police and might have happened here had the cop not intervened.

If "activists" cared even half as much when a black person gets killed by a black as they do when its by a white I might take them a bit more seriously but as it stands these things are just excuses to bash whitey. Even if in some instances it is justified like with Chauvin.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2021, 12:51:56 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2021, 12:58:41 PM by lfromnj »

I find it funny how some people expect police officers to be some ninja who can safely disarm someone with a knife with their bear hands.

I've never seen any of the people criticizing this explain how this was supposed to be resolved non-violently. "Hey can you please not stab that person?" Don't think that was going to work.

LeBron is apparently not tired of seeing black people killed by other black people which happens far more often than their getting killed by police and might have happened here had the cop not intervened.

If "activists" cared even half as much when a black person gets killed by a black as they do when its by a white I might take them a bit more seriously but as it stands these things are just excuses to bash whitey. Even if in some instances it is justified like with Chauvin.

In defense of the activists the issue when it comes to police murder is that they believe justice isn't doled out fairly . Usually if a murderer is found(which is uncommon) they are thereby prosecuted and jailed. You and I both know that actual miscarriage of justice done by the state is incredibly dangerous. Obviously the problem here is that these activists are braindead and think anyone killed by the state is injustice. It is valid to focus on unjust police killings due to the mentioned circumstances but they should have actual evidence behind them or at least a reasonable suspicion such as police refusing to release body camera footage within a space of time.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2021, 12:58:42 PM »

In defense of the activists the issue when it comes to police murder is that they believe justice isn't doled out fairly . Usually if a murderer is found(which is uncommon) they are thereby prosecuted and jaildd. You and I both know that actual miscarriage of justice done by the state is incredibly dangerous. Obviously the problem here is that these activists are braindead .and think anyone killed by the state is injustice. It is valid to focus on unjust police killings due to the mentioned circumstances but they should have actual evidence behind them.

I didn't deny that there are unjustified police shootings and even said the outrage was appropriate for the Floyd/Chauvin incident. The issue here is that they apparently view a black person being stabbed to death by another black person as a preferable outcome to a white police officer coming in and shooting the person doing the stabbing. The operative thing that dictates their reaction is 100% the race of the assailant, not genuine concern about "black lives".

It's the same as the fearmongering about black on white crime you still sometimes see from the right. If you care more about a crime depending on the race of the person who commits it that's racism, full stop.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2021, 02:35:33 PM »

Lebron posts about violence and problems in his community all the time. He even started a school to remedy these problems and help future generations. But Lebron is smart and knows that racism is the root of all problems in the Black community, including gun violence.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2021, 02:42:09 PM »

I've been reading Black Lives Matter threads over the past year, it seems to me activists care more about "abolishing the police" and "killing all white people" than any realistic reform on policing and race relations.  Always defending the victim, even if she had out a knife and was getting ready to kill someone.  No wonder 99% of Twitter SJWs are radicalized individuals who want to destroy America.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2021, 03:20:30 PM »

I've been reading Black Lives Matter threads over the past year, it seems to me activists care more about "abolishing the police" and "killing all white people" than any realistic reform on policing and race relations.  Always defending the victim, even if she had out a knife and was getting ready to kill someone.  No wonder 99% of Twitter SJWs are radicalized individuals who want to destroy America.

Generally agree with the post but I really think it's a stretch to call someone who got shot while trying to stab someone a "victim". It's obviously sad that someone so young threw her life away like that but what happened was not unjust.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2021, 03:54:06 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2021, 04:21:35 PM by lfromnj »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9500075/MaKhia-Bryants-neighbor-says-security-camera-footage-shows-cop-no-choice-shoot-her.html

Dailymail coz the regular media won't report this for a few days.

Anyway a minority neighbor had surveillance, viewed it himself and saw the shooting as justified even if what happened was still sad.

'He could have either not fired and the young lady in pink could have been stabbed in the neck and brutally or fatally injured and then he could shot [Bryant] and we could have had two [young women] dead - or he could have responded in the way that he did and one young lady lost her life,' he said.

The majority of people including minorities like and want the police at least with some watch over their neighborhood. Sadly this is ignored largely by the media and the liars get so much more attention.
Also the video has audio where the girl says "I am gonna stab the Fnk out of you bitch"
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2021, 03:56:19 PM »

An excellent point. My wife and her largely but not exclusively White BLM activists members of our church have often thought about suicide as a way of solving racism. Some of our black parishioners have offered to shoot us to help root out the Whitey problem.

Kudos on truly having your thumb on the pulse of the BLM movement. My goodness, it's totally not like looking into a funhouse mirror of distorted racist right-wing bullsh**t at all. Well done indeed.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2021, 04:53:26 PM »

... But Lebron is smart and knows that racism is the root of all problems in the Black community, including gun violence.

Can you expand on this statement please.
Asta

« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2021, 05:10:53 PM »

Most self-identified libertarians are socially apathetic, irreligious Republicans that care more about taxes and gun rights. Rarely, do I meet libertarians that strongly condemn the police state, advocate near open-border, or criticize hawkish foreign policies.

Based on my experience in other forums, true libertarians rarely vote much or when they do, they actually vote for the libertarian candidate, instead of picking "the less evil" Republican candidate. True libertarians are a very rare breed. That said, the cop is not culpable in this case.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2021, 07:31:37 PM »

This case certainly was a trickier situation for the cop than first reports indicated. Still, why is the first option shoot to kill? Where is using the stun gun? Where is shooting the foot/leg rather than in the chest? This wasn't a gunman that was a danger to everyone in the area; it was a 15 year old girl. If she got shot in the leg, she would have stopped, and the cop could then diffuse the situation.

Shooting accurately - under stress, very rapidly, with lots of opportunities for collateral damage - is very, very hard. (That is one of the reasons why I think the whole "good guy with a gun" argument is nonsense.) "Shoot them in the leg" - if the person being shot in such a threat as to make shooting them the right thing to do - is virtually impossible.  You shoot for center of mass, because that is what you can hit (and also because it is what will most likely stop the attacker).

I watched the video. It is depressing. What happened is sad and terrible, and I feel for everyone involved. I think the officer's gun handling is as good as anyone could possibly expect.  (With the caveat that I didn't see enough to notice anything about his trigger discipline.) This was as good as high-stress real-world firearms use will ever get. The average use of firearms - by an officer of the law or a practiced civilian - will likely be inferior to this.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2021, 02:25:55 AM »

Thank God for this cop’s heroic actions. He saved lives.

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2021, 03:20:53 AM »

Glad to see everyone here is trying to live in their own little self deluded corner ignoring that yes, race was a determinant in the cops actions here. You don't see white active shooters or armed suspects after violent incidents being taken out, yet their first instinct is shoot to kill if the suspect is black--as tends to be their response, armed or not.

And as I've said before, eliminate use of live rounds. That way, if there is a threat it goes to the courts, if it's over use of force or an "accident" people still don't lose their lives, and these situations would no longer end the way they do.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2021, 03:53:34 AM »

Glad to see everyone here is trying to live in their own little self deluded corner ignoring that yes, race was a determinant in the cops actions here. You don't see white active shooters or armed suspects after violent incidents being taken out, yet their first instinct is shoot to kill if the suspect is black--as tends to be their response, armed or not.

That’s... not true?

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/18/us/burnsville-minnesota-police-shooting/index.html

https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/ac-cn-maryland-state-police-shooting-2021413-20210413-4s25mmj3iffldelmnrbg7j76tm-story.html

https://www.actionnewsnow.com/content/news/Man-killed-in-Redding-officer-involved-shooting-574149341.html

https://katu.com/news/local/32-year-old-killed-in-officer-involved-shooting-in-corvallis-on-saturday

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/douglas-county-sheriffs-deputies-fatally-shoot-man-near-happy-canyon

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/local/macoupin-county-fatal-officer-involved-shooting/63-af72724a-16c2-4067-bab5-aaebe8334512

https://www.9news.com/article/news/crime/lakewood-officer-involved-shooting/73-5c6edaa1-d5a3-4f70-8adc-1d0a8c3d3042

This is 7 times in the month of April alone a white person has been shot dead by police in the United States. Do you get your information from Twitter?

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2021, 04:05:17 AM »

Notice these all appear to involve the suspect directly threatening officers themselves.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2021, 04:09:34 AM »

Notice these all appear to involve the suspect directly threatening officers themselves.

So... cops should stand idly by if people are threatening to kill others, and not the officer themself?

At that point, they are literally useless.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2021, 01:46:03 PM »

There's also the case of Daniel Shaver, probably one of the absolute worst cases of a police killing ever, up there with George Floyd, it was practically a summary execution and should be way more well known and probably would be if Shaver wasn't white. In fact as a case it's even worse than George Floyd because George Floyd's killer was convicted while in this case not only was the officer acquitted the taxpayers get to keep paying his pension and treatment for PTSD from the incident (also the horrific bodycam video of it wasn't admitted as evidence in trial, no doubt the reason for the acquital...a totally disgusting miscarriage of justice.)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies