Pew: Only 8% of Americans Say Marijuana Should Be Totally Illegal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:14:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pew: Only 8% of Americans Say Marijuana Should Be Totally Illegal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Pew: Only 8% of Americans Say Marijuana Should Be Totally Illegal  (Read 1714 times)
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2021, 10:50:27 AM »

In all seriousness, I don’t think weed has ever been implicated in salmonella outbreaks at a major fast food restaurant chain.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2021, 11:10:07 AM »

I'm glad to know I'm a part of the 31% who wants cannabis only to be legalized for medicinal use.

Why’s it any of your business if someone wants to smoke a plant recreationally?

Because of my personal religious beliefs against the usage of drugs, that's why.

Why can't you just leave others alone if they're not bothering you or hurting anyone? Why do you have to be all up in people's business?

They are hurting someone; themselves. Plus it is bothersome to others if you’re high in public and/or smell like it

Citation needed for the first sentence. Regarding the second, public intoxication is legal. If someone smells like cigarette smoke, deal with it. Making it a law is petty and self-centered

Do I seriously need to give a citation? Here you go I guess: https://www.cdc.gov/marijuana/health-effects.html

I misread the sentence as they were hurting someone else. Not sure how.

Anyway, lots of things are bad for oneself. Marijuana is one of them. So are Alcohol, Tobacco, and frankly most fast food. That obviously doesn't mean they should be illegal though . These are also arguably all at reasonably similar levels of unhealthiness relative to the frequency of use.

Seriously though, you have yet to offer one single constructive argument against marijuana prohibition that wouldn't equally apply to the decidedly failed policy of alcohol prohibition. Your entire position seems to be " I don't like it, so no one else should use it, because reasons." And frankly such an argument is not worthy of serious consideration.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2021, 11:49:40 AM »

Joe Biden is terrible on weed issues because he is old.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2021, 11:55:13 AM »

I was in Arizona for a bachelor's party the other weekend, and I was surprised that it was legal there, given the GOP control of the state.  Wild West, baby!  I do think that opposing its legalization even for medical purposes has indeed become a pretty fringe position.  Other than very vocal minorities, many Americans seem to mostly want to live their lives and be left alone, and that extends to everything from excessive wokeness/"cancel culture" to still caring about gay marriage to high taxes to caring if someone smokes weed.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2021, 12:04:01 PM »

Other than very vocal minorities, many Americans seem to mostly want to live their lives and be left alone, and that extends to everything from excessive wokeness/"cancel culture" to still caring about gay marriage to high taxes to caring if someone smokes weed.
libertarianism is winning!
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2021, 12:09:53 PM »

I'm glad to know I'm a part of the 31% who wants cannabis only to be legalized for medicinal use.

Because of my personal religious beliefs against the usage of drugs, that's why.

I think you are failing to emphasize the word "personal" in your position. Surely you have to admit that is a poor reason to limit other people's use of intoxicants. That's like saying if I have a religious prohibition against alcohol we should reinstitute prohibition.

I think there's always been an epidemic in this country of people demanding their "personal beliefs" be the law of the land.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2021, 03:55:40 PM »

What do your personal religious beliefs have to do with other people’s personal choices?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2021, 06:44:45 PM »

Do you also support mandatory exercise routines?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2021, 06:47:56 PM »

Good news.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2021, 07:01:01 PM »

Joe Biden is terrible on weed issues because he is old.
Too bad Democrats think any disagreement with Biden is racist and misogynist. Biden stopped legalization from being included in the Democratic platform.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2021, 07:09:20 PM »

The issue seems like it's become government/authorities vs literally everyone else at this point.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2021, 07:22:55 PM »

The issue seems like it's become government/authorities vs literally everyone else at this point.
If Biden is is re-elected in 2024 and is succeeded by a Republican, how long will we be waiting?
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2021, 07:27:49 PM »

One of most egregious false equivalencies I’ve seen
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2021, 07:32:43 PM »

Should it be legal to hurt yourself, or shouldn’t it be?
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2021, 10:51:31 PM »

I'm part of the 92%!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2021, 11:16:19 PM »

K. You still haven't addressed the issue as to why you are personal religious views should matter worth a damn as to whether or not laws should prohibit everyone else from following your mores. Or even for that matter why you personally should even oppose other people not following your religious mores.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2021, 07:53:25 AM »

K. You still haven't addressed the issue as to why you are personal religious views should matter worth a damn as to whether or not laws should prohibit everyone else from following your mores. Or even for that matter why you personally should even oppose other people not following your religious mores.

I'm not religious, you're confusing me with someone else
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2021, 11:58:27 AM »

I’m high right now. Good to be in the majority.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2021, 12:53:59 PM »

I want to meet the 3% of Liberals and 5% of Democrats I think it should be completely illegal. Straight edge types and politically liberal Mormons? The latter maybe involving the last few remaining demosaurs?
It's all atlas posters
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2021, 07:44:34 PM »

I very much enjoy cannabis and I probably wouldn't have ever bothered if it was still illegal

This is a very good argument against legalization

But see that says marijuana use is a bad thing. It’s not. It’s less harmful than alcohol and has proven medicinal benefits.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2021, 08:25:00 PM »

It'd be nice if it were, but it's simply no longer practical.

Better off going full-on Utah-with-Alcohol at this point.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2021, 08:38:56 PM »

I very much enjoy cannabis and I probably wouldn't have ever bothered if it was still illegal

This is a very good argument against legalization

But see that says marijuana use is a bad thing. It’s not. It’s less harmful than alcohol and has proven medicinal benefits.

Just because it’s less harmful than alcohol doesn’t mean it’s not bad for you. Both are bad. And I do support medical marijuana
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2021, 11:52:22 PM »

I was in Arizona for a bachelor's party the other weekend, and I was surprised that it was legal there, given the GOP control of the state.  Wild West, baby!  I do think that opposing its legalization even for medical purposes has indeed become a pretty fringe position.  Other than very vocal minorities, many Americans seem to mostly want to live their lives and be left alone, and that extends to everything from excessive wokeness/"cancel culture" to still caring about gay marriage to high taxes to caring if someone smokes weed.

I don't think the AZ GOP would've considered legalizing. It was done via ballot initiative. What is surprising is that it passed 60-40 (after the 49-51 failure in 2016), the second best result in the nation so far (second only to NJ voting 67-33 in support of legalization). When even South Dakota is voting for legalization, I think there are very few states where recreational marijuana would fail on the ballot if it has the chance.

I have been surprised at how quickly opinion on this issue has moved over the years. It's not like the gay rights movement that had significant support from all different aspects of society and had a lot to do with visibility and portraying normality (Mitch and Cam from Modern Family come to mind).

It'd be nice if it were, but it's simply no longer practical.

Better off going full-on Utah-with-Alcohol at this point.

I'm in support of legalization for a variety of reasons, but I think this is a bad idea. Marijuana isn't the same as alcohol. One of the intents of legalization is to attack the black market, particularly the cartels south of the border. Overtaxing and overregulating are bad ideas that will keep people in the black market.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2021, 01:53:29 AM »

Marijuana is a sacrament in the Rastafari faith. Isn't it a violation of the 1st amendment to deny them that right? If your religion says drug use is bad but another says it's good, why should your views dictate the lives of other people?
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2021, 02:08:11 AM »

Why can't you just leave others alone if they're not bothering you or hurting anyone? Why do you have to be all up in people's business?

They are hurting someone; themselves. Plus it is bothersome to others if you’re high in public and/or smell like it

Tell it to the poll.

Besides, edibles are the future.

Not having ever had edibles (or weed in general), my problem with them is this: Ok, you have a pot brownie. It’s fairly good sized, but you’re only supposed to eat this little bit of it. Wtf?!?!? I’m gonna want to eat the whole damn thing. I know that’s not a good thing, but like, can’t they just make them weaker so you can gorge yourself on brownies and only get reasonably high?!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies