Maxine Waters wants the mob to get "more confrontational"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:55:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Maxine Waters wants the mob to get "more confrontational"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Maxine Waters wants the mob to get "more confrontational"  (Read 2417 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2021, 01:19:16 PM »

So let me get this straight

Maxine Waters says lets get "more confrontational" and the GOP now thinks that is more than enough evidence to hold her accountable for inciting violence

Yet when Trump, Ted Cruz, and Josh Hawley actually incited real violence that got people killed the GOP refused to hold any of them accountable for their actions....

I'm sorry But I don't take the GOP seriously on this at all, nor do buy their BS Outrage over Maxine Waters comments. maybe they should actually focus on holding people in their own party accountable before accusing the other party on inciting violence

How did Trump or other GOP
members of Congress "incite real violence" in any way different than what Maxine Waters is saying here?

Are you seriously trying to equate my comments about the "real violence being incited at our capital with Maxine Waters because if that is the case than the big difference is that even Mitch McConnell agrees with me that Trump was 100 percent responsible for this...

lol, you're insufferable

No.  I'm not making an equivalency.  I'm asking you to specifically point to what was said by Trump/Hawley/Cruz/etc. and explain how it is any worse/more damning than what was said today by Waters.

I'll wait.

I feel the same way about you lol

but anyways back on topic Trump actions are way worse because he was a sitting president who told his people to come to Washington and march to the capital

In Maxine Waters' case rather you agree with her comments or not she is not responsible for all their protest that are currently going on around the country right now and nothing she says or does will change how people will react to the Derek Chauvin trial one way or the other

Trump on the other hand is 100 percent responsible for the capital attacks because those people whould not have even been there in the first place had he not told them to come. That event on l january 6 only happened because of him and the fact alone makes his actions way worse than anything Maxine Waters ever said

On-topic?  You're the one who first brought up Trump or Hawley in this entire thread, lmao

Trump is no more or less responsible for what protesters choose to do with their days off than Adam.  Point to a single statement made by Trump that incites violence or disorder in a way more dangerous than what Maxine Waters just said.  You won't because you can't.     

Maxine Waters is a classless racial agitator and attention-seeker.  That you even equivocate in calling-out her s[inks]t  is a very bad look.   
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2021, 01:25:43 PM »

Unsurprisingly, MTG immediately called for Waters to be removed from office, thus shifting the spotlight to her and solidifying my theory that she is controlled opposition designed to distract from the excesses of the far left.

Yikes, and you find my heroin suggestion bonkers. Hope this isn't serious.

You're right, this wasn't serious-- and I dearly wish you'd say the same about your horrible "suggestion" so that I could try to forget about it.

I believe my words were taken out of context, but I'm not dying on that hill.
roxas11
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2021, 01:29:55 PM »

Maxine Waters says lets get "more confrontational" and the GOP now thinks that is more than enough evidence to hold her accountable for inciting violence

Yet when Trump, Ted Cruz, and Josh Hawley actually incited real violence that got people killed the GOP refused to hold any of them accountable for their actions....

I'm sorry But I don't take the GOP seriously on this at all, nor do buy their BS Outrage over Maxine Waters comments. maybe they should actually focus on holding people in their own party accountable before accusing the other party on inciting violence

members of Congress "incite real violence" in any way different than what Maxine Waters is saying here?

Are you seriously trying to equate my comments about the "real violence being incited at our capital with Maxine Waters because if that is the case than the big difference is that even Mitch McConnell agrees with me that Trump was 100 percent responsible for this...

lol, you're insufferable

No.  I'm not making an equivalency.  I'm asking you to specifically point to what was said by Trump/Hawley/Cruz/etc. and explain how it is any worse/more damning than what was said today by Waters.

I'll wait.

I feel the same way about you lol

but anyways back on topic Trump actions are way worse because he was a sitting president who told his people to come to Washington and march to the capital

In Maxine Waters' case rather you agree with her comments or not she is not responsible for all their protest that are currently going on around the country right now and nothing she says or does will change how people will react to the Derek Chauvin trial one way or the other

Trump on the other hand is 100 percent responsible for the capital attacks because those people whould not have even been there in the first place had he not told them to come. That event on l january 6 only happened because of him and the fact alone makes his actions way worse than anything Maxine Waters ever said

On-topic?  You're the one who first brought up Trump or Hawley in this entire thread, lmao

Trump is no more or less responsible for what protesters choose to do with their days off than Adam.
Point to a single statement made by Trump that incites violence or disorder in a way more dangerous than what Maxine Waters just said.  You won't because you can't.    

Maxine Waters is a classless racial agitator and attention-seeker.  That you even equivocate in calling-out her s[inks]t  is a very bad look.    

Even Mitch Mcconnell blame Trump for the capitol riots

but anyways lets just respectfully agree to disagree on this one and move on
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2021, 01:38:14 PM »

lol, you're insufferable

No.  I'm not making an equivalency.  I'm asking you to specifically point to what was said by Trump/Hawley/Cruz/etc. and explain how it is any worse/more damning than what was said today by Waters.

I'll wait.

It is worse because the call to action was based on a lie. I know a lot of blue checks have pushed it, but I really don't get this 'In the event of a stolen election, tone police your rhetoric' angle. I would struggle to find moral fault in Trump telling his backers to 'fight like hell' had that actually happened.

Waters is being irresponsible with her rhetoric here (and probably deliberately so), which is pretty grim. However, there is a good deal more evidence for racism in policing and there's no reason to believe she doesn't think it exists. It's not really comparable to Jan. 6 because there is no big lie.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2021, 01:40:25 PM »

lol, you're insufferable

I'll wait.

It is worse because the call to action was based on a lie. I know a lot of blue checks have pushed it, but I really don't get this 'In the event of a stolen election, tone police your rhetoric' angle. I would struggle to find moral fault in Trump telling his backers to 'fight like hell' had that actually happened.

Waters is being irresponsible with her rhetoric here (and probably deliberately so), which is pretty grim. However, there is a good deal more evidence for racism in policing and there's no reason to believe she doesn't think it exists. It's not really comparable to Jan. 6 because there is no big lie.
This
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2021, 02:26:21 PM »

Well this is some level of co-option
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2021, 02:26:42 PM »

Thinking along the lines of Trump supporter logic here; maybe we could use a PD office raid?

Would a Capitol-esque scene (not just burning the place down) finally get white people to respect the humanity of non-whites in this country, and for LEOs to realize that members of working-class, minority communities will no longer consent to the submissive end of the social contract which was violated decades ago?

Maybe I understand the pro-1/6 argument after all.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2021, 02:32:47 PM »

Not seeing the problem here.

Hell, perhaps listenin' more to the Stokley Carmichael's instead of the Roy Wilkinses 50 years ago could've altered everything. There's a reason MLK himself went the direction he did after '65. Could've done away with Hoover and COINTELPRO if the left had simply the same vigilance as Q-Anon.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2021, 02:50:45 PM »

She. Is. Wrong.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2021, 03:24:49 PM »

Stephen Jackson and LeBron have been quiet over Floyd, due to fact March 27th the Floyd family were paid 27M. That's tells already the Officer is guilty

What happened to BLM during last fall, their protests subsided during the Election and Election was a big thing to the.  I am not all into BLM, and families are getting paid for their losses
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2021, 03:26:57 PM »

Not seeing the problem here.

Hell, perhaps listenin' more to the Stokley Carmichael's instead of the Roy Wilkinses 50 years ago could've altered everything. There's a reason MLK himself went the direction he did after '65. Could've done away with Hoover and COINTELPRO if the left had simply the same vigilance as Q-Anon.
His name is Kwame Ture
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2021, 04:00:16 PM »

Come on guys, Trump didn't explicitly call for violence either, and yet almost all of us know he really was, just like here. We've already got witnesses being threatened, it's not like everything's a-okay right now. Easy to see how things could spiral out of control with statements like this. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2021, 05:03:48 PM »

How did Trump or other GOP members of Congress "incite real violence" in any way different than what Maxine Waters is saying here?

If you have to ask, you are Del Taco.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2021, 05:07:45 PM »

She's doing the old "say something that you know can and will be interpreted by some people one way, but is vague enough for plausible deniability," trick that Trump used on 1/6/2021 and other times. Bad for her, and it's not the first time she's done this.

and

Her exact words were "more confrontational" and "make sure they know we mean business". I don't think she actually wants riots, but it's incredibly irresponsible for her to be using this language since she presumably knows full well that rioting is what will happen if Chauvin is deemed not guilty.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2021, 05:56:50 PM »

The presiding judge has harsh words, although he denies the defense's motion for a mistrial:

People really need to STFU. The play by play commentary we get on high profile trials like this accomplishes nothing accept potentially tainting the jury or witnesses.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2021, 06:24:25 PM »

I do not approve of her choice of words.
At this very moment, everything related to this case is "volatile." People in high-places need to control themselves, and wait to see what the jury has decided.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2021, 06:30:16 PM »

The presiding judge has harsh words, although he denies the defense's motion for a mistrial:

People really need to STFU. The play by play commentary we get on high profile trials like this accomplishes nothing accept potentially tainting the jury or witnesses.

Yeah, without any evidence placed on the record that the jurors disregarded their instructions to not watch the news, raising this issue on a pillow is going to go nowhere.

Still, while I agree that an acquittal or hung jury would be heartbreaking, Waters and other overly mouthy politicians need to take a big glass of STFU juice until the trial is done.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2021, 06:43:41 PM »

1. This statement really isn't as controversial as it' being made out to be. "Confrontational" might have been a poor word choice, but why shouldn't protesters continue being angry about this and emphasizing how important it is to them? Protests are inherently based out of anger and civil disobedience. Sure, it would be ideal if all protests consisted of people simply holding hands and singing "Cumbaya," but that is far from realistic, especially with police presences that often escalate the situations they're monitoring.

2. Maxine Waters does not have the influence that her critics seem to think she has. Protesters aren't hanging on her every word and taking cues from her to be more outraged than they already are. She isn't Trump.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2021, 06:46:33 PM »

Whether it's intentional or not, that language is inappropriate and could cause harm. People don't need to be more confrontational. The Democratic Party should not defend this, and she should apologise. She and other politicians should emphasize that protest must be non-violent, fortunately most of them are doing that.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2021, 06:56:26 PM »

2. Maxine Waters does not have the influence that her critics seem to think she has. Protesters aren't hanging on her every word and taking cues from her to be more outraged than they already are. She isn't Trump.

Again, it doesn't matter whether or not Waters succeeds in inciting violence. The point is that she is trying to intimidate the jury by not-so-subtly implying that an unfavorable verdict will be met with widespread looting and destruction.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2021, 07:08:16 PM »

Obviously the comments are stupid and ought to be condemned.

That being said, the idea that she's remotely near influential enough to influence the jury and thus be grounds for overturning the verdict is a massive stretch and feels quite hackish.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2021, 07:11:01 PM »

Again, it doesn't matter whether or not Waters succeeds in inciting violence. The point is that she is trying to intimidate the jury by not-so-subtly implying that an unfavorable verdict will be met with widespread looting and destruction.

The judge just said that her actions could be cause for an appeal.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2021, 07:11:11 PM »

Obviously the comments are stupid and ought to be condemned.

That being said, the idea that she's remotely near influential enough to influence the jury and thus be grounds for overturning the verdict is a massive stretch and feels quite hackish.

I also agree with this.
The jury will not (should not) have any knowledge of what she, or anyone else is saying (via the news) while they are deliberating.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2021, 07:14:17 PM »

The family got 27M dollars, the Officer is obviously guilty otherwise he wouldn't ask for a Mistrial
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2021, 07:15:20 PM »

But, Floyd was obviously high, he should of gotten into the car. Being in the back of a police car doesn't kill you, if you have air conditioner or windows down
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies