NY-12: Carolyn Maloney gets JD challenger
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 04:03:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-12: Carolyn Maloney gets JD challenger
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: NY-12: Carolyn Maloney gets JD challenger  (Read 3824 times)
Lourdes
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2021, 04:44:41 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/14/politics/rana-abdelhamid-justice-democrats-carolyn-maloney-primary/index.html

Rana Abdelhamid is a 27 year-old activist, DSA member, and is the daughter of Muslim Egyptian immigrants.

Biden 2024
wolfentoad66
Norfolk Island

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 04:47:21 PM »

She stands a really good chance at winning.

Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 04:47:45 PM »

Good lord. Maloney is a great Dem and a very effective Rep as far as passing legislation goes. She supports very progressive proposals like GND and M4A. Lots have tried and failed to challenge her; her most recent primary challenger actually came close but totally embarrassed himself with bizarre Trumpian "stop the steal" tactics after she was declared the winner.

I hope this person loses by 50 percentage points, and that Maloney keeps this seat until she decides she wants to retire.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 04:48:34 PM »

Why exactly do progressives have a beef with this lady? A brief explanation would be nice.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 04:49:12 PM »

Why exactly do progressives have a beef with this lady? A brief explanation would be nice.

Not a progressive, but she is anti-vax
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 04:50:09 PM »

Because they're incredibly un-focused and bad at setting priorities. Also, this is NYC so there is just an abnormally high concentration of leftists / DSA types located here. The woman challenging her doesn't even live in the district. Maloney is much closer to AOC than Lipinski.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 04:50:11 PM »

Good lord. Maloney is a great Dem and a very effective Rep as far as passing legislation goes. She supports very progressive proposals like GND and M4A. Lots have tried and failed to challenge her; her most recent primary challenger actually came close but totally embarrassed himself with bizarre Trumpian "stop the steal" tactics after she was declared the winner.

I hope this person loses by 50 percentage points, and that Maloney keeps this seat until she decides she wants to retire.

And is also anti-vax...
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 04:51:13 PM »

And is also anti-vax...

She's not Purple heart
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 04:53:29 PM »

Maloney’s last primary showing was pretty pitiful for an incumbent of her seniority. Assuming this district stays somewhat similar post-redistricting (namely keeping the Brooklyn and Queens parts mostly intact), and Abdelhamid can consolidate support by getting the major progressive players behind her then I think she has a pretty good shot.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 04:55:01 PM »

And is also anti-vax...

She's not Purple heart

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2018/06/12/maloney-goes-on-attack-in-debate-with-primary-challenger-465191

At the hearing, Maloney said the debate over the link between vaccines and autism reminded her of people who dismissed tobacco smoking as a cause of cancer, and said, “You’ve got to just listen, you know, to — I remember smoking. I was on the City Council. I sat through so many hearings where they vowed smoking was not bad for your health. It’s common sense that it was bad for your health. … The same thing seems to be here with the vaccinations. There’s too much verbal evidence coming from parents where they break down [and say], ‘I had a normal child, I gave him a vaccination, and then they … came down with autism.”

Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 05:00:57 PM »

And is also anti-vax...

She's not Purple heart

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/albany/story/2018/06/12/maloney-goes-on-attack-in-debate-with-primary-challenger-465191

At the hearing, Maloney said the debate over the link between vaccines and autism reminded her of people who dismissed tobacco smoking as a cause of cancer, and said, “You’ve got to just listen, you know, to — I remember smoking. I was on the City Council. I sat through so many hearings where they vowed smoking was not bad for your health. It’s common sense that it was bad for your health. … The same thing seems to be here with the vaccinations. There’s too much verbal evidence coming from parents where they break down [and say], ‘I had a normal child, I gave him a vaccination, and then they … came down with autism.”

She was literally saying she listens empathetically to her constituents who believe this - an important trait in a Rep. Not that she believes it or would ever act on it in any way. You're gonna have to try a little harder here.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 05:05:13 PM »

And is also anti-vax...

She's not Purple heart

She was literally saying she listens empathetically to her constituents who believe this - an important trait in a Rep. Not that she believes it or would ever act on it in any way. You're gonna have to try a little harder here.

The phrase “There’s too much verbal evidence” is giving way too much leaway to a false and dangerous conspiracy.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 05:09:36 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2021, 05:22:24 PM by Zaybay »

And is also anti-vax...

She's not Purple heart

I'm not sure why you're adamantly defending Maloney here, but sure, Ill give you some more evidence.

She's already proposed multiple bills to look into the "link" between vaccines and autism, such as the Vaccine Safety Study Act. She has sponsored and written 8 other similar bills.
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr1757/text

She's on the record as being a fan of Olmsted's work for decades.
In March 2006, Maloney held a briefing at the National Press Club, where she cited Olmsted’s work as her motivation for drafting legislation that would compel the federal government to study autism rates in unvaccinated populations.

She's worked with numerous anti-vax activists, including folks like Jenny McCarthy.

The evidence is pretty clear in this instance, and its one of the major reasons that Maloney has been slipping against primary challengers in recent years.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 05:21:44 PM »

Okay, but it’s fairly obvious that Abdelhamid isn’t challenging Maloney solely because of her anti-vax beliefs. So, I still don’t think I have the answer to my question.
Babeuf

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 05:25:46 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2021, 05:38:45 PM by Babeuf »

I live and vote in this district. Maloney is nothing special and more importantly is a mainstream Democrat. It's a safe blue district, you don't need a huge reason for trying to elect the farthest left person possible. We're not going to primary Bowman, Jones, Velasquez or AOC or anything, but no harm at all in challenging mainstream Dems to get further left representation in these ultra-Dem seats.

Anyway, she already raised $100k today per her twitter. Will be interesting to see if Suraj Patel gives it another run and splits the vote.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2021, 05:27:29 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2021, 05:30:43 PM by gracile »

Okay, but it’s fairly obvious that Abdelhamid isn’t challenging Maloney solely because of her anti-vax beliefs. So, I still don’t think I have the answer to my question.

Because Maloney got 43% in her last primary against two relatively lackluster opponents in a constituency that includes areas that are receptive to leftist policies. It’s not rocket science why a challenger would want to jump in.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2021, 05:29:20 PM »

Endorsed!
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2021, 05:34:34 PM »

At what point do the Democrats actually nut up and start putting serious effort into fending off these challengers, including stripping committees from radical members who try to topple their fellow representatives?
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2021, 05:42:07 PM »

At what point do the Democrats actually nut up and start putting serious effort into fending off these challengers, including stripping committees from radical members who try to topple their fellow representatives?

And make part of their base hate them more?
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2021, 05:44:18 PM »

Because Maloney got 43% in her last primary against two relatively lackluster opponents in a constituency that includes areas that are receptive to leftist policies. It’s not rocket science why a challenger would want to jump in.

I misworded that — I was generally curious if Maloney’s anti-vax beliefs were the only reason for her underperformance in 2018 and 2020.

I have an idea of the situation now, though.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2021, 05:48:29 PM »

I’m rooting for her challenger. They’re basically the same on policy, but Congress needs to be more religiously diverse.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2021, 05:49:55 PM »

Who cares? If anything, blame these incumbents for being out of touch with a large chunk of their base voters to the point where they can fall to a primary challenge. And Democratic congressional leadership has better things to do than expel “radical” (Roll Eyes) members of their delegation from committees, especially when they need their votes to pass important legislation (where they still largely vote with leadership).
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 05:56:15 PM »

I misworded that — I was generally curious if Maloney’s anti-vax beliefs were the only reason for her underperformance in 2018 and 2020.

I have an idea of the situation now, though.

Well, there's actually a secondary factor at play here, one seldom talked about.

Take a look at her two most recent primary maps, and you may notice something about Maloney's base and that of her detractors:

Maloney is very much a Manhattan politician, one who caters to her rich white base in upper/central Manhattan specifically. Her challengers have all been able to use her lack of connection to the rest of the district, particularly the Brooklyn and Queens portion, to a devastating effect.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 06:04:26 PM »

With the swearing in of Julia Letlow today, Democrats have a two seat majority at the moment. Stripping committee membership from the furthest left (or furthest right for that matter) members of the caucus would be the dumbest thing to do right now.
JM1295
Rookie
United States
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2021, 07:02:38 PM »

Who cares? If anything, blame these incumbents for being out of touch with a large chunk of their base voters to the point where they can fall to a primary challenge. And Democratic congressional leadership has better things to do than expel “radical” (Roll Eyes) members of their delegation from committees, especially when they need their votes to pass important legislation (where they still largely vote with leadership).

Yeah how dare progressives or any ideological group for that matter, try to mount a challenge to an established incumbent representative? /s That is such a weirdly undemocratic stance that incumbents are above primaries and should not be challenged. If they're as great as people say, they should win reelection with ease. This goes both ways as I had no issue with Tlaib getting a primary from Brenda Jones either.

I was hoping Maloney would be heavily targeted though so this is very exciting. She's underperformed twice in a row, especially for 20+ year incumbent. Somewhat similar to Engel in being solid on domestic policy, but foreign policy is more hawkish.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies