FL: Gov. Ron DeSantis Signs Controversial Bill Restricting Protesters into Law (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:51:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FL: Gov. Ron DeSantis Signs Controversial Bill Restricting Protesters into Law (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FL: Gov. Ron DeSantis Signs Controversial Bill Restricting Protesters into Law  (Read 3033 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« on: April 19, 2021, 09:40:42 PM »

What does the bill actually prohibit?  Here in Seattle we've had to deal with near-daily protests, sometimes they don't even have an actual purpose it's just protesting for the sake of protesting.  And they cause tons of property damage, hide their identities, attack businesses and random people, and most notoriously shut down freeways.  The shutting down of freeways became a routine thing last summer when WSDOT would just shut down the highway for a couple miles around the protest line and redirect traffic until they went away.

I would support a bill that put a stop to all that crap.  I'm assuming since this is the awful state of Florida that this bill does a lot more and restricts totally reasonable things.

You can get the full text here:
https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2021/1/?Tab=BillText

It's a large host of measures, each of which can individually have a case made for it, and overall the whole thing could be said to make a sort of draconian sense.

For me, there is an obvious question as to whether or not the changes will truly be enforced evenhandedly. I suspect (though I obviously cannot prove) that part of the intent is to use the new provisions as harshly as possible on groups opposed to Republican rule, while going lighter on those in support of it.

The biggest catch is that even if it is enforced with perfect fairness, in a nascent authoritarian regime, the biggest beneficiary of restrictions on public protest is the authoritarian regime itself.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 08:07:21 AM »

Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 08:58:36 PM »

Right-wing conservatives are here to convince you that murder is an appropriate response to property damage, but property damage isn't an appropriate response to murder.

To be fair, there's a certain consistency to that position. That (their) property is more important than (your) life is a pretty core part of the Republican agenda.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies