FL: Gov. Ron DeSantis Signs Controversial Bill Restricting Protesters into Law
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:47:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FL: Gov. Ron DeSantis Signs Controversial Bill Restricting Protesters into Law
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: FL: Gov. Ron DeSantis Signs Controversial Bill Restricting Protesters into Law  (Read 3014 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 13, 2021, 04:05:49 PM »
« edited: April 19, 2021, 09:26:13 PM by America Needs Kali »

If you care about your First Amendment rights, and want to know what a Ron DeSantis administration is going to be like if he wins the presidency in 2024, just look at Florida:

The Florida ACLU and League of Women Voters have condemned the bill in question.  
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 04:06:38 PM »

If you care about your First Amendment rights, and want to know what a Ron DeSantis presidency is going to be like if he wins in 2024, just look at Florida:

The Florida ACLU and League of Women Voters has condemned the bill in question. 
DeSantis would not have the congressional votes to enact this through congress, unless the filibuster is abolished.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 04:25:09 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2021, 04:28:24 PM by America Needs Kali »

DeSantis would not have the congressional votes to enact this through congress, unless the filibuster is abolished.

Which shouldn't be insurmountable if his heart is in it.  All he needs to do to get bipartisan support is to raise the specter of the January 6th insurrection to bring enough congressional Democrats on board to overcome the filibuster (assuming Mitch McConnell keeps it as is if the GOP get back control of the Senate).  And of course we know Trump and his supporters will support the legislation to crack down on Black Lives Matter protesters and Antifa.

Restricting protests is a double-edged sword -both sides can benefit from as well as be harmed by it.   
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 04:27:25 PM »

Was the expanded self defense in manner of property rights included? I remember that was a suggestion a few months ago.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 04:30:32 PM »

Lots of controversial things passing from GOP state legislatures recently it seems.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 04:32:53 PM »

Great news. Innocent citizens need protection from this terrorism.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 04:49:31 PM »

Lots of controversial things passing from GOP state legislatures recently it seems.

It's only controversial to those who live in echo chambers and bar those who would ever think such a thing. Everything passed by Dem city councils would be labeled as "controversial" if the media was made up of ordinary people.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 05:00:35 PM »

What does the bill actually prohibit?  Here in Seattle we've had to deal with near-daily protests, sometimes they don't even have an actual purpose it's just protesting for the sake of protesting.  And they cause tons of property damage, hide their identities, attack businesses and random people, and most notoriously shut down freeways.  The shutting down of freeways became a routine thing last summer when WSDOT would just shut down the highway for a couple miles around the protest line and redirect traffic until they went away.

I would support a bill that put a stop to all that crap.  I'm assuming since this is the awful state of Florida that this bill does a lot more and restricts totally reasonable things.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 05:09:42 PM »

It's only controversial to those who live in echo chambers and bar those who would ever think such a thing. Everything passed by Dem city councils would be labeled as "controversial" if the media was made up of ordinary people.

WTF does this post even mine.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 05:14:22 PM »

WTF does this post even mine.

“Ordinary people” usually means “white middle class men”
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 05:46:55 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2021, 06:04:37 PM by The Daily Beagle »

TFW you can call the cops on sidewalk counselors at abortion clinics. This is literally forbidden under the new Bill. It is unlawful for two or more people to advocate a viewpoint through “mob intimidation”. Hopefully this gets struck down though.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 08:36:42 PM »

A similar bill is on the table in Ohio.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 09:50:41 PM »

TFW you can call the cops on sidewalk counselors at abortion clinics. This is literally forbidden under the new Bill. It is unlawful for two or more people to advocate a viewpoint through “mob intimidation”. Hopefully this gets struck down though.
I have the feeling most of this bill would not withstand legal scrutiny.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2021, 10:21:40 PM »

I have the feeling most of this bill would not withstand legal scrutiny.

I’m quite sure the Republicans pushing this bill already know that.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 09:23:10 PM »

After having been passed in the Senate in a party-line vote, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has signed the anti-protest bill into law:

Florida governor signs controversial 'pro-law enforcement' law cracking down on riots

Exercise your First Amendment right in the state of Florida at your own peril.  Tongue
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 09:32:17 PM »

B-b-b-b-but I thought the Democrats were the ones taking away our First Amendment rights!!!???

Yep, this guy sure is much more “reasonable” than Trump.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 09:35:54 PM »

Too bad DeSantis wasn't president during the riots last year instead of the "platinum plan" charlatan. He would have been reelected and the nation certainly wouldn't be living in fear of the outcome of the Chauvin trial.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2021, 09:36:04 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2021, 09:40:29 PM by America Needs Kali »

B-b-b-b-but I thought the Democrats were the ones taking away our First Amendment rights!!!???

Yep, this guy sure is much more “reasonable” than Trump.

I have every confidence that the ACLU and other parties will have this law struck down by the Supreme Court before long.  After all, this court has proven to be such a stalwart defender of the First Amendment that they even claimed political donations by corporations are a form of free speech that should not be infringed upon.  

Given that precedent, what hope does this law have of surviving scrutiny?  
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2021, 09:40:42 PM »

What does the bill actually prohibit?  Here in Seattle we've had to deal with near-daily protests, sometimes they don't even have an actual purpose it's just protesting for the sake of protesting.  And they cause tons of property damage, hide their identities, attack businesses and random people, and most notoriously shut down freeways.  The shutting down of freeways became a routine thing last summer when WSDOT would just shut down the highway for a couple miles around the protest line and redirect traffic until they went away.

I would support a bill that put a stop to all that crap.  I'm assuming since this is the awful state of Florida that this bill does a lot more and restricts totally reasonable things.

You can get the full text here:
https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2021/1/?Tab=BillText

It's a large host of measures, each of which can individually have a case made for it, and overall the whole thing could be said to make a sort of draconian sense.

For me, there is an obvious question as to whether or not the changes will truly be enforced evenhandedly. I suspect (though I obviously cannot prove) that part of the intent is to use the new provisions as harshly as possible on groups opposed to Republican rule, while going lighter on those in support of it.

The biggest catch is that even if it is enforced with perfect fairness, in a nascent authoritarian regime, the biggest beneficiary of restrictions on public protest is the authoritarian regime itself.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2021, 09:42:50 PM »

You can get the full text here:
https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2021/1/?Tab=BillText

It's a large host of measures, each of which can individually have a case made for it, and overall the whole thing could be said to make a sort of draconian sense.

For me, there is an obvious question as to whether or not the changes will truly be enforced evenhandedly. I suspect (though I obviously cannot prove) that part of the intent is to use the new provisions as harshly as possible on groups opposed to Republican rule, while going lighter on those in support of it.

The biggest catch is that even if it is enforced with perfect fairness, in a nascent authoritarian regime, the biggest beneficiary of restrictions on public protest is the authoritarian regime itself.

We all know they won't be.  Tongue
politics_king
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2021, 09:45:12 PM »

Great news. Innocent citizens need protection from this terrorism.

Lmao! I wonder what its like to think like you.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2021, 09:59:02 PM »
« Edited: April 19, 2021, 10:02:25 PM by America Needs Kali »

If Democrats are smart, they should keep this law in the news as much as possible, casting Gov. Ron DeSantis as an enemy of the First Amendment and a tyrant-in-waiting.  This law which isn't that much different from the measures being implemented by Communist authorities in Hong Kong (consider it the first of many steps), should be draped around his neck like a millstone when he runs for re-election in 2022, and for President in 2024.  It should define him in the eyes of Americans, and should be the first thing they think about when his name is mentioned.  They should ask themselves whether they want this man to represent the United States in its fight against authoritarianism abroad if he has proven so willing to import it into the state of Florida in the form of this godforsaken law that everyone knows will be used disproportionately against anyone who doesn't align with the Republican Party.  
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2021, 10:46:54 PM »

If Democrats are smart, they should keep this law in the news as much as possible, casting Gov. Ron DeSantis as an enemy of the First Amendment and a tyrant-in-waiting.  This law which isn't that much different from the measures being implemented by Communist authorities in Hong Kong (consider it the first of many steps), should be draped around his neck like a millstone when he runs for re-election in 2022, and for President in 2024.  It should define him in the eyes of Americans, and should be the first thing they think about when his name is mentioned.  They should ask themselves whether they want this man to represent the United States in its fight against authoritarianism abroad if he has proven so willing to import it into the state of Florida in the form of this godforsaken law that everyone knows will be used disproportionately against anyone who doesn't align with the Republican Party.  

Could backfire big time if he's able to successfully market it as an "anti-rioting" bill.  The public hates riots, and associates them with Dems.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2021, 10:49:13 PM »

Isnt the issue not the law code but the fact the DA doesn't prosecute anyone ?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2021, 11:04:38 PM »

Interesting, it allows for victims of riots to sue the local government in the scenario of gross incompetence. 
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies