Are there any moderate House members who can be bribed into switching parties?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:58:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Are there any moderate House members who can be bribed into switching parties?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are there any moderate House members who can be bribed into switching parties?  (Read 2003 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2006, 08:54:50 AM »

I was thinking about the scenario in which the Democrats manage to either come up just short of winning a majority in the House....or, alternatively, they manage to win just *enough* seats to get a majority.  So imagine that there's a 1-2 seat margin one way or the other.  Would we then see the minority party try to woo a couple of the most moderate members of the majority party--try to get them to switch parties, so that control of the House will flip?  Would there be a bidding war between the two parties to gain the allegiance of these moderates....offering them pork for their districts, committee chairmanships, policy concessions, whatever?  I wonder if this could be 2006's version of the Florida recount.  The post-election battle for control of the House.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 09:35:48 AM »

Yes, I think if the House is 218-217 either way you will see a lot of that. Those willing to switch would be the kingmakers and could be offered all of the above to switch.
NewFederalist
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 09:39:42 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2006, 10:52:16 AM by NewFederalist »

"Bribed" is such a harsh word! I would hope "persuaded" is more likely. Even then the member may not switch parties but just horse trade his/her vote in the Speaker's race. I would expect a serious challenge to Rep. Pelosi shoud the Democrats retake control.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 10:40:37 AM »

Yes, I think if the House is 218-217 either way you will see a lot of that. Those willing to switch would be the kingmakers and could be offered all of the above to switch.

And then would be screwed when the other party takes back the House if their still there when that happens.
UK.USfan
UK.USFan
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 03:49:59 PM »

Hi

I know GOP has the majority in the House at present, but by how much and how many vacant House seats are there, and will they be filled before Nov's mid-term?

Thanks

Dave....
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 03:54:47 PM »

Hi

I know GOP has the majority in the House at present, but by how much and how many vacant House seats are there, and will they be filled before Nov's mid-term?

Thanks

Dave....

There's only one vacant seat the moment, NJ-13. And it won't be filled until the election.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 04:15:24 PM »

When was the last time a House member jumped from R to D; the were a few D to R in the 1980's.
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 05:58:52 PM »

When was the last time a House member jumped from R to D; the were a few D to R in the 1980's.

I think Steve Forbes in NY-01 switched from the GOP to Dems in like 1996 or 1998.  He was, then, defeated (I think in the Dem primary) and the seat went to Felix Grucci who held it until 2002 when he lost because he made false accusations that his opponent, now Congressman Steve Bishop, had allowed some type of sexual harrassment cover-up while he was President of some small local college in the district.  The negative attacks backfired so tremendously on Grucci, a fireworks company owner, that his political career went up in a cloud of smoke.

Of course, the most recent switch was by Louisiana's congressman Alexander who won a seat in a very close December Louisiana run-off election as a Democrat in a seat that had been gerrymandered by the Democratic legislature to possibly elect a conservative Democrat.  He was bribed by an Appropriations committee spot and fear of (or belief in?) GOP demogaguery on the "war on terror."

I think that recently defeated MI GOP rep. Schwarz would have been a good candidate for conversion (with the help of a few incentives) to the Democratic party.  But, alas, he's no longer in Congress.  Perhaps Dems could convince Iowas rep. Leach to switch sides.

I don't see any Dems going to the GOP.  After all, why switch parties after all those years in a marginalized minority party when your party is in power or has more seats than its had in a long time?  Neither do I think there's really much potential for any switcheroos from GOP to Dem unless the Dems already have more than 218 seats, at which point there might be a few opportunistic bandwagoners.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 01:25:16 AM »

I think Steve Forbes in NY-01 switched from the GOP to Dems in like 1996 or 1998.  He was, then, defeated (I think in the Dem primary) and the seat went to Felix Grucci who held it until 2002 when he lost because he made false accusations that his opponent, now Congressman Steve Bishop, had allowed some type of sexual harrassment cover-up while he was President of some small local college in the district.  The negative attacks backfired so tremendously on Grucci, a fireworks company owner, that his political career went up in a cloud of smoke.

Of course, the most recent switch was by Louisiana's congressman Alexander who won a seat in a very close December Louisiana run-off election as a Democrat in a seat that had been gerrymandered by the Democratic legislature to possibly elect a conservative Democrat.  He was bribed by an Appropriations committee spot and fear of (or belief in?) GOP demogaguery on the "war on terror."

I think that recently defeated MI GOP rep. Schwarz would have been a good candidate for conversion (with the help of a few incentives) to the Democratic party.  But, alas, he's no longer in Congress.  Perhaps Dems could convince Iowas rep. Leach to switch sides.

I don't see any Dems going to the GOP.  After all, why switch parties after all those years in a marginalized minority party when your party is in power or has more seats than its had in a long time?  Neither do I think there's really much potential for any switcheroos from GOP to Dem unless the Dems already have more than 218 seats, at which point there might be a few opportunistic bandwagoners.

Got the names mixed up a bit.

The former Congressman was Mike Forbes.  He switched to the Democrats in 1999, and lost in the Democratic Primary in 2000 to regina Seltzer, by a mere 35 votes.  He remained on the ballot on the Working Famlies line, grucci won by a solid margin.

In 2002 Grucci ran against Tim bishop and lost.  Grucci faulted Bishop for more rapes occuring at SouthHampton College during Bishop's tenure their.  A highly misleading and very dirty slam which backfired.  the amount of rapes ddid increase slightly, but the % actually dropped quite a bit, the enrollment during Bishp's tenure there went way up.  Rather nasty and insane accusations cost Grucci the election, and now Bishop seems to have a lock on the seat for awhile.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 10:23:14 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2006, 11:24:44 AM by Tredrick »

There's only one vacant seat the moment, NJ-13. And it won't be filled until the election.
And TX-22.

In NJ-13, the special election for the remaining 2 months of Menendez's seat (which has been vacant since January) will be held at the same time as the general election for the full term.

Being New Jersey, is the "Politicians are Crooks" party Pro or Con on the issue?

In TX-22, no special election will be held.

The split is currently 231 GOP 201 Dem, 1 Ind (Sanders-VT), 2 vacanct.

Democrats would need to pick up 15 seats.
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 12:43:52 PM »

There was also a second, more liberal Democrat running against Alexander, and given the black precincts added to the district, could have taken votes away from Alexander and forced him into a runoff with the Republican candidate.  He won in 2004 with 59% as a Republican, so a loss of ten points could have thrown him into a runoff and possibly a loss. 
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 01:46:58 PM »

The former Congressman was Mike Forbes.  He switched to the Democrats in 1999, and lost in the Democratic Primary in 2000 to regina Seltzer, by a mere 35 votes.  He remained on the ballot on the Working Famlies line, grucci won by a solid margin.

In 2002 Grucci ran against Tim bishop and lost.  Grucci faulted Bishop for more rapes occuring at SouthHampton College during Bishop's tenure their.  A highly misleading and very dirty slam which backfired.  the amount of rapes ddid increase slightly, but the % actually dropped quite a bit, the enrollment during Bishp's tenure there went way up.  Rather nasty and insane accusations cost Grucci the election, and now Bishop seems to have a lock on the seat for awhile.

Well, I was going off memory and I've never even been to NY so  cut me some slack! :-P
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 04:24:39 PM »

Well, I was going off memory and I've never even been to NY so  cut me some slack! :-P

Ha ha its ok.  I was actually in NY-01 during the 2000 & 2002 election (was attending Stony Brook University, dormed on campus & was registered there.  Voted for Seltzer in her loss in 2000 & voted for Bishop's victory in 2002.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies