Rank these districts in chances of flipping to a Republican
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:27:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rank these districts in chances of flipping to a Republican
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rank these districts in chances of flipping to a Republican  (Read 637 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2021, 11:52:16 AM »

Rank these districts: FL-07, FL-13, OH-13, CA-24 (CA-24 won't flip), PA-08, TX-07, TX-28, TX-32, TX-34, NV-03, and NV-04.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 05:29:57 PM »

Are you discussing the districts in their current form, or with redistricting? The latter is obviously really hard to predict; some of these seats like TX-07 and TX-32 will likely be shored up for Dems (to shore up nearby seats for Rs) while others like one (or both) of the FL seats, along with OH-13 and one of the RGV seats in Texas.

So I'll take a stab at rating likelihood of these districts in their current form to flip, though it's not what'll end up happening since many will be adjusted.

PA-08
NV-03
OH-13
NV-04
FL-13
TX-34
FL-07
TX-07
TX-28
TX-32
CA-24
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 05:38:11 PM »

Are you discussing the districts in their current form, or with redistricting? The latter is obviously really hard to predict; some of these seats like TX-07 and TX-32 will likely be shored up for Dems (to shore up nearby seats for Rs) while others like one (or both) of the FL seats, along with OH-13 and one of the RGV seats in Texas.

So I'll take a stab at rating likelihood of these districts in their current form to flip, though it's not what'll end up happening since many will be adjusted.

PA-08
NV-03
OH-13
NV-04
FL-13
TX-34
FL-07
TX-07
TX-28
TX-32
CA-24
With the new boundaries. What might happen?
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 05:42:48 PM »

PA-08
NV-03
OH-13
NV-04
FL-13
TX-34
FL-07
TX-07
TX-28
TX-32
CA-24

I have no idea. I think TX-07, TX-32, NV-03, NV-04 will be shored up for Dems. PA-08 will probably become more R-leaning (to take in part of whatever central state population-losing red district is being cracked up). I assume OH-13 will be dismantled entirely. One of the Florida districts I assume will become more Republican - maybe both? Less comfortable with Florida geography versus the other states. One of the Texas RGV districts is likely to become fully GOP.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 05:43:58 PM »

PA-08
NV-03
OH-13
NV-04
FL-13
TX-34
FL-07
TX-07
TX-28
TX-32
CA-24

I have no idea. I think TX-07, TX-32, NV-03, NV-04 will be shored up for Dems. PA-08 will probably become more R-leaning (to take in part of whatever central state population-losing red district is being cracked up). I assume OH-13 will be dismantled entirely. One of the Florida districts I assume will become more Republican - maybe both? Less comfortable with Florida geography versus the other states. One of the Texas RGV districts is likely to become fully GOP.
Isn’t that illegal?
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 05:46:40 PM »

PA-08
NV-03
OH-13
NV-04
FL-13
TX-34
FL-07
TX-07
TX-28
TX-32
CA-24

Isn’t that illegal?

Don't think all three of those districts are VRA
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 05:47:20 PM »

PA-08
NV-03
OH-13
NV-04
FL-13
TX-34
FL-07
TX-07
TX-28
TX-32
CA-24

Isn’t that illegal?

Don't think all three of those districts are VRA
Which one isn’t?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 05:47:50 PM »

PA-08
NV-03
OH-13
NV-04
FL-13
TX-34
FL-07
TX-07
TX-28
TX-32
CA-24

Isn’t that illegal?
It is.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 05:51:23 PM »

PA-08
NV-03
OH-13
NV-04
FL-13
TX-34
FL-07
TX-07
TX-28
TX-32
CA-24

Isn’t that illegal?
It is.
What is the most aggressive the TXGOP can draw while still being legal?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 06:02:13 PM »

PA-08
NV-03
OH-13
NV-04
FL-13
TX-34
FL-07
TX-07
TX-28
TX-32
CA-24

Isn’t that illegal?
It is.
A fajita running particularly far to the north with a roughly EVEN or so 2012/2016 PVI.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 06:08:08 PM »

What happens to MN-02?
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 06:11:32 PM »

PA-08
NV-03
OH-13
NV-04
FL-13
TX-34
FL-07
TX-07
TX-28
TX-32
CA-24

Isn’t that illegal?
It is.
A fajita running particularly far to the north with a roughly EVEN or so 2012/2016 PVI.

I feel like Wasserman is the leading expert here so I doubt his map has any illegalities. He creates a Safe R TX-15.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1339243248578080769
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 06:14:03 PM »

PA-08
NV-03
OH-13
NV-04
FL-13
TX-34
FL-07
TX-07
TX-28
TX-32
CA-24

Isn’t that illegal?
It is.

I feel like Wasserman is the leading expert here so I doubt his map has any illegalities. He creates a Safe R TX-15.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1339243248578080769
I disagree with his opinion. Moreover, TX-15 in that form is no fajita, and there is still no legal evidence that anything but fajitas can be drawn in South Texas.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 06:21:05 PM »

Would the GOP TX-15 still be majority HCVAP?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 06:23:47 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2021, 06:27:53 PM by Southern Delegate Punxsutawney Phil »

Would the GOP TX-15 still be majority HCVAP?
Majority HCVAP is extremely easy of a threshold to reach. Reliably electing the Latino candidate of choice in the general election is more important. LULAC would settle for nothing less.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 06:30:45 PM »

Will Texas just draw a new Austin vote sink and concede TX-07 and TX-32 to shore up neighboring districts, or will the TXGOP baconmander Houston and Dallas?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 06:41:41 PM »

Will Texas just draw a new Austin vote sink and concede TX-07 and TX-32 to shore up neighboring districts, or will the TXGOP baconmander Houston and Dallas?
If they are being very bold, the former; if they are playing it relatively safe, the latter.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2021, 06:45:24 PM »

If they are being very bold, the former; if they are playing it relatively safe, the latter.
Do you think they will play it safe or be bold?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2021, 06:47:15 PM »

50/50 right now between those two extremes. They might also take some middle path. Only time will tell exactly what they do.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2021, 06:51:56 PM »

What about MN-02?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2021, 06:54:55 PM »

50/50 right now between those two extremes. They might also take some middle path. Only time will tell exactly what they do.

I feel like they'll probably want to draw a GOP seat in Houston for Wesley Hunt. Not sure if that means creating a brand new one or making the current TX-07 more R.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2021, 07:11:13 PM »

I feel like they'll probably want to draw a GOP seat in Houston for Wesley Hunt. Not sure if that means creating a brand new one or making the current TX-07 more R.
Most likely we are looking at one new seat in Austin-San Antonio, Houston metro, and DFW metro each. They might give that new seat in metro Houston to Fletcher while pushing TX-07 west, both helping cover for any legal issues that might stem from not creating any new minority seats, and making TX-07 more R for Wesley Hunt or whoever GOPer gets nominated in the new TX-07.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2021, 08:48:47 PM »

There is speculation that the district where Fletcher runs (TX-07 or the new Houston seat) will be majority-Hispanic to avoid violating the VRA.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2021, 09:50:22 PM »

PA-08
NV-03
OH-13
NV-04
FL-13
TX-34
FL-07
TX-07
TX-28
TX-32
CA-24

Isn’t that illegal?
No, it's easy to make an 80% Hispanic district vote for Trump.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies