How would North Korea vote if they it was reunified under the ROK?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:29:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How would North Korea vote if they it was reunified under the ROK?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would North Korea vote if they it was reunified under the ROK?  (Read 1073 times)
wimp
themiddleman
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2021, 06:59:09 AM »

CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 08:03:02 AM »

"what's a vote"?

(no, "elections" under the DPRK do not count)
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 08:48:11 AM »

I don’t think SK would extend the franchise to them until a generation or two had passed, enough time to recover from Kim and improve material conditions. I also think the dream of reunification is stronger in older Koreans than younger ones, it may be little more than lip service in 30 years
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 08:53:14 AM »
« Edited: April 11, 2021, 08:57:58 AM by Lord Halifax »

I don’t think SK would extend the franchise to them until a generation or two had passed, enough time to recover from Kim and improve material conditions.

If there is an actual reunification (rather than a post-Kim dynasty "union" between an authoritarian "Chinese model" country controlled by the North Korean elite and South Korea) it's not particularly realistic to imagine NK being a sort of internal colony for two generations, and millions of North Koreans would migrate to the South and influence SK politics anyway.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 11:30:22 AM »

85% Workers Party of Korea
9% Korean Social Democratic Party
6% Chondoist Chongu Party
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 01:31:49 PM »

Similar voting patterns of East Germany, only the far right party would get most of the vote share.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 10:40:59 AM »

I don’t think SK would extend the franchise to them until a generation or two had passed, enough time to recover from Kim and improve material conditions.

If there is an actual reunification (rather than a post-Kim dynasty "union" between an authoritarian "Chinese model" country controlled by the North Korean elite and South Korea) it's not particularly realistic to imagine NK being a sort of internal colony for two generations, and millions of North Koreans would migrate to the South and influence SK politics anyway.

you really think they would be allowed to migrate south? I think many people from SK would oppose that for a myriad of reasons - poverty, crime, generational brainwashing by Kim and company, job opportunities, etc. I think an internal colony with eventual free movement down the line is much more likely
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 03:30:51 PM »

The younger generations of South Koreans are less interested in reunification, because the divergent experiences across the DMZ are too great. For them, the north is almost as foreign as Russia or Brazil. The Berlin Wall never completely divided the German nation, and most East Germans still watched western TV and wrote letters to relatives in the west; so when the wall fell, reunification on western terms was natural. The DMZ in Korea has been near-absolute, and the Kims were horrified at East Germany's demise. So they decided to isolate North Korea completely in order to avoid going the way of Honecker. Now, virtually no one in either Korea has contact with any living relatives on the other side.

The two Koreas will remain separate independent states even after Kim, and maybe after 50 years, there will be enough convergence in common experiences and living standards that there's the will to carry out reunification. But that still might not happen. The two might coexist as separate, culturally-related nations like Germany and Austria.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2021, 11:32:57 PM »

I don’t think SK would extend the franchise to them until a generation or two had passed, enough time to recover from Kim and improve material conditions. I also think the dream of reunification is stronger in older Koreans than younger ones, it may be little more than lip service in 30 years

East Germany voted themselves out of existence after a free election.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 11:35:06 PM »

Well considering the immense money and psyop operations poured into the election by NATO and multinationals, I mean was it really free?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2021, 05:05:22 AM »

Pretty free I would say despite that, yeah.

The demand for reunification existed from the outset of the East German uprising, it wasn't simply manufactured from outside. Some of the protest leaders originally backed a continuing even though radically changed GDR, but soon found that position had little genuine support.

Its not impossible that had the country continued for a few generations longer, the sense of its being separate from the FRG - regardless of ideology - might have grown. But it didn't, so it didn't.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 12:54:14 PM »

Well considering the immense money and psyop operations poured into the election by NATO and multinationals, I mean was it really free?
Rofl...there wasn't any need for "NATO money and psyop operations". Of course, the West German parties poured much money and organization into it, but it isn't a stretch to say that a majority wanted the reunification and the economic Schlaraffia they dreamed of and perceived West Germany as (not understanding capitalism and the problems of the economic transition process very well) as fast as possible.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 01:54:50 PM »

It is completely untenable to have North Korea and its population integrated in 10 years or less. Any reunification would need to come with decades of border controls, stricter than the ones that exist between Hong Kong and mainland China. (for economic, security, and political reasons) If the floodgates were opened, so to speak, South Koreans, who are already deeply unhappy with their country, would just leave, even if politicians somehow integrated North Korea against their will. And let's be real, even after integration, they would essentially be two races in one ethnic group, and it would take at least a century for the people to integrate with each other.
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2021, 12:57:14 PM »

Either the WPK would still exist and win the northern half of the peninsula, or perhaps a party of regional interest is formed, similar to the Bloc Québécois or the SNP.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 01:24:55 AM »

I wonder how a party with Kim Han-sol as the leader would do.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 05:48:46 AM »

It is completely untenable to have North Korea and its population integrated in 10 years or less. Any reunification would need to come with decades of border controls, stricter than the ones that exist between Hong Kong and mainland China. (for economic, security, and political reasons) If the floodgates were opened, so to speak, South Koreans, who are already deeply unhappy with their country, would just leave, even if politicians somehow integrated North Korea against their will. And let's be real, even after integration, they would essentially be two races in one ethnic group, and it would take at least a century for the people to integrate with each other.
It makes more sense that NK would be a Kimless non Juche country that simply becomes another country. Imagine Haiti and the Dominican given how far their language has diverged in each country(the Korean is intelligible but barely).
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 07:26:48 AM »

LMAO, imagine thinking that psyop was needed to convince people that living in a country that literary had to build a wall to prevent people leaving was bad.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 09:17:19 AM »

It makes more sense that NK would be a Kimless non Juche country that simply becomes another country. Imagine Haiti and the Dominican given how far their language has diverged in each country(the Korean is intelligible but barely).

Though of course French and Spanish were separate languages well before they were formed?
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2021, 05:58:01 AM »

Though of course French and Spanish were separate languages well before they were formed?
Yeah. I know that clearly. A better example might be Dutch and Afrikaans.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies