Prince Philip
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:32:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Prince Philip
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Prince Philip  (Read 1824 times)
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2021, 05:45:45 PM »

Yes, but no more so than the rest of the royals really.

I mean, what *does* cause so many gammons to hyperventilate at the mere sight of Ms Markle?

Any ideas??

The fact that she's literally just a run-of-the-mill LA basic b*tch. I know that you desperately want to believe it's because she's half-black, but it's not--and it's actually funny how many people on the left who would normally claim to despise the royals feel the desperate need to defend her because of this.

Genuine lol at the "desperation" claims - I barely give a tinkers cuss about the whole Windsors soap opera. In contrast to the boomer gammons in a constant STATE OF RAGE about this and all the other confected culture war stuff that has utterly rotted their collective brains.

That's a bit unfair. Meaningless culture war crap has taken hold of society with renewed vigor elsewhere, but the Megan/Harry arc is no worse than the decades-long Diana fixation, and a change is at least half as a good as a rest.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2021, 06:07:39 PM »

Anti-Americanism plays a way bigger role than her skin tone.  Surprisingly few normal people even realise she has black ancestry.

It's more the "Hollywood trash" vibe that people get from her and the fact that she seems to want the perks of royalty without the hard work that pisses people off.

What seems to annoy a lot of people too is that Harry has been transformed from a hard-partying fun guy to a po-faced wokester.

Disclaimer: I'm not a big fan of The Firm but I loathe Meghan.

My mother--a casual royal-watcher for the sake of the aesthetics and pageantry even though she has substantially the same politics as me--has gone from liking to strongly disliking Harry and Meghan since they married, mostly because of the "perks without hard work" impression that you mention. She sees them as ludicrously privileged people who've lost interest in the (real or alleged) focus on service to their country that (really or allegedly) coexists with that privilege for other members of the family.

I find the monarchy absolutely useless, but I can't help but agree here. They enjoy all the benefits of said (useless) institution but don't want to stomach some of the responsibility? Suppose no one gets to chose where they're born, but there are plenty of things people are forced to do in life by nature of their birth that...they just get on with.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2021, 07:27:41 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2021, 08:53:14 AM by True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자) »

I like how most of you use a thread about Phillip to take an opportunity to take a piss on Meghan.  Roll Eyes

We've trained posters too well. They know by now that if they piss on the dead or dying they'll get a suspension or ban.  Devil
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2021, 07:52:21 PM »

I mean, what *does* cause so many gammons to hyperventilate at the mere sight of Ms Markle?

Any ideas??

I must admit I don’t have a intelligent opinion to share on their behavior or other people’s view of their behavior, but what I have found weird is how much they look like each other, they have the same facial traits. They look like a brother and sister, which I must admit weirds me out, but it’s not really a reason to be hostile toward them.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2021, 02:41:38 AM »

Any ideas??

I must admit I don’t have a intelligent opinion to share on their behavior or other people’s view of their behavior, but what I have found weird is how much they look like each other, they have the same facial traits. They look like a brother and sister, which I must admit weirds me out, but it’s not really a reason to be hostile toward them.

lay off the acid mate, lol.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2021, 05:37:32 AM »

Any ideas??

Try to look at them, they have the same nose, chin, smile (through not teeth), cheekbone and brow ridge. Except for gender and coloring they look very similar. It’s not the first couple where I have seen that and from a genetic POV it makes some sense, but it’s still feel weird to me.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2021, 08:34:06 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2021, 09:13:45 AM by cp »

Anti-Americanism plays a way bigger role than her skin tone.  Surprisingly few normal people even realise she has black ancestry.

It's more the "Hollywood trash" vibe that people get from her and the fact that she seems to want the perks of royalty without the hard work that pisses people off.

What seems to annoy a lot of people too is that Harry has been transformed from a hard-partying fun guy to a po-faced wokester.

Disclaimer: I'm not a big fan of The Firm but I loathe Meghan.

My mother--a casual royal-watcher for the sake of the aesthetics and pageantry even though she has substantially the same politics as me--has gone from liking to strongly disliking Harry and Meghan since they married, mostly because of the "perks without hard work" impression that you mention. She sees them as ludicrously privileged people who've lost interest in the (real or alleged) focus on service to their country that (really or allegedly) coexists with that privilege for other members of the family.

I find the monarchy absolutely useless, but I can't help but agree here. They enjoy all the benefits of said (useless) institution but don't want to stomach some of the responsibility? Suppose no one gets to chose where they're born, but there are plenty of things people are forced to do in life by nature of their birth that...they just get on with.

That's a good reason to criticize them for what they've opted to do going forward; they've got the social and financial resources to do enormous good in the world but they've chosen ... podcasting?

However, though I think they're squandering their potential, goodwill, and privilege in this way, I don't consider that as reason to find fault with their abjuring ties with the monarchy in the first place. As you point out, some people who are saddled with family obligations that they didn't ask for just put up with it, but some don't, and I don't begrudge these two for opting to unburden themselves.

Also, it might be worth noting that they are probably incapable of actually unburdening themselves of those ties. Even if they went into virtual seclusion, the paparazzi press would hound them and pounce on every appearance/action/statement.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2021, 08:35:48 AM »

Any ideas??

The fact that she's literally just a run-of-the-mill LA basic b*tch. I know that you desperately want to believe it's because she's half-black, but it's not--and it's actually funny how many people on the left who would normally claim to despise the royals feel the desperate need to defend her because of this.

Genuine lol at the "desperation" claims - I barely give a tinkers cuss about the whole Windsors soap opera. In contrast to the boomer gammons in a constant STATE OF RAGE about this and all the other confected culture war stuff that has utterly rotted their collective brains.

That's a bit unfair. Meaningless culture war crap has taken hold of society with renewed vigor elsewhere, but the Megan/Harry arc is no worse than the decades-long Diana fixation, and a change is at least half as a good as a rest.

Don't know if I have said so on here before, but looking back there is a good case IMO for saying that Diana's death (and the reaction to it) was Where It All Started To Go Wrong.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2021, 08:50:07 AM »

I prefer Abby Philip from CNN ...
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2021, 09:26:36 AM »

Any ideas??

Don't know if I have said so on here before, but looking back there is a good case IMO for saying that Diana's death (and the reaction to it) was Where It All Started To Go Wrong.

... ok, I'll bite. Why?
njwes
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2021, 07:02:29 PM »

Any ideas??

Try to look at them, they have the same nose, chin, smile (through not teeth), cheekbone and brow ridge. Except for gender and coloring they look very similar. It’s not the first couple where I have seen that and from a genetic POV it makes some sense, but it’s still feel weird to me.

I semi-can't unsee it now... I feel like it all depends on whether she's wearing her hair short/pulled back vs long and loose.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2021, 07:23:25 PM »

I hope that the Prince Philip Movement is doing alright through all of this turmoil.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2021, 05:14:51 AM »

Any ideas??

... ok, I'll bite. Why?

The OTT reaction of so many - and the attempts of some of them to "police" the behaviour of those who didn't react in such a way - showed certain unlovely types how easy a large number of us would be to manipulate. With some fairly obvious consequences in more recent years.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2021, 01:46:11 PM »

Any ideas??

I semi-can't unsee it now... I feel like it all depends on whether she's wearing her hair short/pulled back vs long and loose.

Of course on some picture they look less similar, but there's many where there's great similarity. 
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2021, 05:48:30 PM »

Any ideas??

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if Markle's racial background had something to do in explaining the discomfort of the British Royal Family (not the public, mind you), with her. However, I think their greatest objection to her is what you just said: that she is a trashy Hollywood celebrity. Markle was almost entirely unknown before her relationship with Prince Harry. I personally had never heard of her before that, and the only role of note which she had was a insignificant role on the insignificant and generic television series Suits.

Markle's wedding to the Prince was a further demonstration of this. I also think that the hostility with her has to do with the fact that she's American. The Royal Family obviously still carries the memory of what transpired between Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson more than eighty years ago, and view Markle as a modern-day Simpson.

Not sure that the word I'd use is trashy... beyond her father she's got remarkably few skeletons in the closet from her time as an actress. In fact Harry had a much trashier time in his youth than her!

I also don't think the second bolded part is that true; in my view the lesson that the royals take from Edward VIII was that the man was weak and a coward who didn't do his duty- Wallis was simply the manifestation & fuse which caused it to explode.

Besides it's actually quite hard to define what the royal family is when it's clearly split into three generations- there's been a number of occasions where Prince Charles & the people around him have basically flexed their muscles & gone against what the Queen (or the people who represent the Queen want)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2021, 09:57:56 PM »

Any ideas??

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if Markle's racial background had something to do in explaining the discomfort of the British Royal Family (not the public, mind you), with her. However, I think their greatest objection to her is what you just said: that she is a trashy Hollywood celebrity. Markle was almost entirely unknown before her relationship with Prince Harry. I personally had never heard of her before that, and the only role of note which she had was a insignificant role on the insignificant and generic television series Suits.

Markle's wedding to the Prince was a further demonstration of this. I also think that the hostility with her has to do with the fact that she's American. The Royal Family obviously still carries the memory of what transpired between Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson more than eighty years ago, and view Markle as a modern-day Simpson.

Not sure that the word I'd use is trashy... beyond her father she's got remarkably few skeletons in the closet from her time as an actress. In fact Harry had a much trashier time in his youth than her!

I also don't think the second bolded part is that true; in my view the lesson that the royals take from Edward VIII was that the man was weak and a coward who didn't do his duty- Wallis was simply the manifestation & fuse which caused it to explode.

Besides it's actually quite hard to define what the royal family is when it's clearly split into three generations- there's been a number of occasions where Prince Charles & the people around him have basically flexed their muscles & gone against what the Queen (or the people who represent the Queen want)

I've heard reports that Markle treated staff members within the Royal Household in a "uncivil" manner, if I'm free to use that euphemism. And her familial issues aren't just with her father; she also doesn't get along with her half-sister, who has been harshly critical of how she's treated that side of the family. As to the rest of your argument, you're right that the Royal Family-like every family-is divided into separate generations, and I'm certainly aware of the decades-long issues between Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles. But I don't think it's far-fetched to say that the memory of the Abdication Crisis of 1936 does have some bearing on how the family views the present situation. After all, Prince Harry abandoned his royal duties (if you could call them such, as I'm someone who believes the monarchy is outdated and should be abolished after the current Queen dies) so that he could "be" with his wife.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2021, 07:54:36 AM »

He is now out of hospital.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2021, 06:59:33 AM »

He has now passed away. There is a separate thread on this.

Le Monde is referring to him as 'spouse of the Queen of England'. It's as if they're encouraging the Scottish nationalists...
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2021, 09:42:46 AM »

Conflating UK/Britain/England is still far too common amongst furriners.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2021, 10:08:03 AM »

Oh yes. Do you remember that tweet from DJT where he called Charles the Prince of Whales [sic]? He also said that Elizabeth is Queen of England and that therefore she represents the UK.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2021, 11:15:06 AM »

As all Russians know - a good royal is a dead royal.

Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2021, 02:58:06 PM »

RIP
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2021, 03:29:51 PM »

Oh yes. Do you remember that tweet from DJT where he called Charles the Prince of Whales [sic]? He also said that Elizabeth is Queen of England and that therefore she represents the UK.

One of my all-time favourite Trump quotes:

“I have great respect for the UK. United Kingdom. Great respect. They used to call it England, different parts.”

Yes, he actually said that.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2021, 10:38:03 AM »

As all Russians know - a good royal is a dead royal.

You've just ended up with Tsar Vladimir instead Wink
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies