Prince Philip
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 09:46:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Prince Philip
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Prince Philip  (Read 1826 times)
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2021, 11:57:50 PM »

Just thought someone should start a thread on Prince Philip for news, discussion, etc. about his recent health struggles.

For those unaware, he was hospitalized a few days ago due to an infection, and then was recently transferred to another hospital to evaluate a pre-existing heart condition.  He is 99 years old.

Hope he's alright/pulls through.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 07:12:31 AM »

Rumours last month that his end was imminent.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 05:07:55 PM »

South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 11:33:09 PM »

https://okmagazine.com/p/prince-harry-advised-fly-home-goodbye-prince-philip/

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 06:15:28 AM »

Sounds like the royal business concern is hyping up Philip's ill health to pressure Harry and Meghan to not release the interview they did with Oprah.
njwes
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 06:54:20 AM »

I mean, it'll get released regardless. And hopefully most British people with an interest in the royals find Harry and Meghan embarrassing and slightly pathetic at this point anyway.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 07:26:55 AM »

Yes, the palace establishment and their media courtiers have done a good job on her in particular.

(I assume that is what you meant?)
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 07:34:14 AM »

I mean, it'll get released regardless. And hopefully most British people with an interest in the royals find Harry and Meghan embarrassing and slightly pathetic at this point anyway.

We find them just tedious, to be honest.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 07:37:42 AM »

Yes, but no more so than the rest of the royals really.

I mean, what *does* cause so many gammons to hyperventilate at the mere sight of Ms Markle?

Any ideas??
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 09:26:25 AM »

I saw an advertisement for Oprah's interview with the couple a few days ago, while I was watching 60 Minutes. That woman certainly is leading the Prince by the collar, and with a golden collar at that. I genuinely wonder how long it will be before that marriage ends in divorce.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 09:52:39 AM »

99 is a good, long life.

It is unfortunate that it was squandered on someone as uninteresting and chauvinistic as Prince Phillip 
njwes
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 04:10:52 PM »

I mean, what *does* cause so many gammons to hyperventilate at the mere sight of Ms Markle?

Any ideas??

The fact that she's literally just a run-of-the-mill LA basic b*tch. I know that you desperately want to believe it's because she's half-black, but it's not--and it's actually funny how many people on the left who would normally claim to despise the royals feel the desperate need to defend her because of this.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 05:14:47 PM »

I hope he can make it to 100.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 07:05:04 PM »

Any ideas??

The fact that she's literally just a run-of-the-mill LA basic b*tch. I know that you desperately want to believe it's because she's half-black, but it's not--and it's actually funny how many people on the left who would normally claim to despise the royals feel the desperate need to defend her because of this.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if Markle's racial background had something to do in explaining the discomfort of the British Royal Family (not the public, mind you), with her. However, I think their greatest objection to her is what you just said: that she is a trashy Hollywood celebrity. Markle was almost entirely unknown before her relationship with Prince Harry. I personally had never heard of her before that, and the only role of note which she had was a insignificant role on the insignificant and generic television series Suits.

Markle's wedding to the Prince was a further demonstration of this. I also think that the hostility with her has to do with the fact that she's American. The Royal Family obviously still carries the memory of what transpired between Edward VIII and Wallis Simpson more than eighty years ago, and view Markle as a modern-day Simpson.
EastAnglianLefty

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2021, 04:49:27 AM »

Just about every royal spouse is entirely unknown to the general public prior to entering a relationship with a royal. Why would that matter?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2021, 05:13:39 AM »

Any ideas??

They think she's Wallis Simpson?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 07:08:22 AM »

Come to think of it, anti-Americanism almost certainly plays a part as well.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2021, 08:30:30 AM »

Anti-Americanism plays a way bigger role than her skin tone.  Surprisingly few normal people even realise she has black ancestry.

It's more the "Hollywood trash" vibe that people get from her and the fact that she seems to want the perks of royalty without the hard work that pisses people off.

What seems to annoy a lot of people too is that Harry has been transformed from a hard-partying fun guy to a po-faced wokester.

Disclaimer: I'm not a big fan of The Firm but I loathe Meghan.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2021, 08:38:39 AM »

Anti-Americanism plays a way bigger role than her skin tone.  Surprisingly few normal people even realise she has black ancestry.

It's more the "Hollywood trash" vibe that people get from her and the fact that she seems to want the perks of royalty without the hard work that pisses people off.

What seems to annoy a lot of people too is that Harry has been transformed from a hard-partying fun guy to a po-faced wokester.

The way this whole thing was going to end was so obvious that the play King Charles III essentially predicted it in advance (Harry entering a relationship with a black commoner and quitting the royal family).

I’ve always found the Harry-Edward VIII comparison rather apposite, in that they both follow the elite fads of their time (Edward VIII being a fascist-sympathizer and Harry a right-on pillock).
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2021, 09:13:23 AM »

Anti-Americanism plays a way bigger role than her skin tone.  Surprisingly few normal people even realise she has black ancestry.

The way this whole thing was going to end was so obvious that the play King Charles III essentially predicted it in advance (Harry entering a relationship with a black commoner and quitting the royal family).

I’ve always found the Harry-Edward VIII comparison rather apposite, in that they both follow the elite fads of their time (Edward VIII being a fascist-sympathizer and Harry a right-on pillock).

It that play, wasn't she also a republicanist? Anyway, many of the stuff the ultimately happened in the Royal Family was a bit predictable. Spitting Image even predicted Harry's "nazi thing" in the 80's when a baby Harry was wearing a SS helmet.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2021, 09:20:23 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2021, 09:34:11 AM by Away, haul away, we'll haul away, Joe! »

My mother--a casual royal-watcher for the sake of the aesthetics and pageantry even though she has substantially the same politics as me--has gone from liking to strongly disliking Harry and Meghan since they married, mostly because of the "perks without hard work" impression that you mention. She sees them as ludicrously privileged people who've lost interest in the (real or alleged) focus on service to their country that (really or allegedly) coexists with that privilege for other members of the family.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2021, 09:28:59 AM »

I mean the main issue is plainly that the tabloids have run a constant campaign against her for several years* and that the couple have at times reacted to this, and to whatever the exact hellish family Drama currently unfolding in the House of Windsor happens to be, in a way that is quite easily portrayed as being, well, let us say out of touch. Does it matter though? I don't believe that they are running for public office.

*And speculation as to the causes of this should be treated as an entirely separate question.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2021, 09:41:29 AM »

I mean the main issue is plainly that the tabloids have run a constant campaign against her for several years* and that the couple have at times reacted to this, and to whatever the exact hellish family Drama currently unfolding in the House of Windsor happens to be, in a way that is quite easily portrayed as being, well, let us say out of touch. Does it matter though? I don't believe that they are running for public office.

*And speculation as to the causes of this should be treated as an entirely separate question.

The thing is, Harry and Meghan are clearly 'normal' in the same way that William and Catherine are stilted and grandstanding.

My favourite ever observation about them was from a friend of mine who said 'they dress their weans like they died in the Blitz.'

But it's clear the Palace and their eyes in the press want that to be seen as 'normal' and classy and dignified and people seem to have fallen for that.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2021, 10:01:39 AM »

Any ideas??

Genuine lol at the "desperation" claims - I barely give a tinkers cuss about the whole Windsors soap opera. In contrast to the boomer gammons in a constant STATE OF RAGE about this and all the other confected culture war stuff that has utterly rotted their collective brains.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2021, 05:43:49 PM »

I like how most of you use a thread about Phillip to take an opportunity to take a piss on Meghan.  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies