Which capital of Europe's 5 largest countries do you prefer?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 05:29:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which capital of Europe's 5 largest countries do you prefer?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Which capital of Europe's 5 largest countries would you most want to visit/live in?
Paris (visit)

Paris (live in)

London (visit)

London (live in)

Berlin (visit)

Berlin (live in)

Rome (visit)

Rome (live in)

Madrid (visit)

Madrid (live in)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which capital of Europe's 5 largest countries do you prefer?  (Read 1776 times)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2021, 05:19:04 PM »

To visit:
1. Paris
2. London
3. Rome
4. Madrid
5. Berlin

To live in:
1. Paris
2. London
3. Madrid
4. Rome
5. Berlin
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 05:29:03 PM »

Are you not counting Russia? Because Russia is the largest country and Moscow the largest city and capital in Europe.

As is, probably live in London (if only because I only speak English fluently) and visit Paris.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 07:18:20 PM »

I've already been to London and Rome...Rome was better, and Rome was by far the worst part of Italy I saw.

I have no opinion of Madrid.

Methinks

Live:  Berlin -> Rome -> Madrid -> Paris -> London

Visit: Paris -> Berlin -> London -> Rome -> Madrid

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 07:43:13 PM »

Live:  London

Visit:  Paris
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 08:08:19 PM »

Berlin is the greatest city in the world outside Asia. If only it were the capital of all of Europe.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 08:25:30 PM »

Live in Berlin. Visit Paris or London. I have limited interest in Madrid or Rome, but could be interested in Barcelona, San Sebastian, and Venice.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 08:34:51 PM »

Live in Berlin. Visit Paris or London. I have limited interest in Madrid or Rome, but could be interested in Barcelona, San Sebastian, and Venice.
You're so basic...
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 08:36:45 PM »

Live in London, visit Berlin.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 08:40:24 PM »

You're so basic...

My dream is to take a unique selfie in a bikini/sarong set against a backdrop of the white roofs of Santorini so everyone knows how much of a cultured yet quirky and cool girl I am.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 08:55:36 PM »

God made the world so Man could vacation in Southern Europe.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 08:57:13 PM »

God made the world so Man could vacation in Southern Europe.

I refuse to believe that drunk Britons and Germans in the Mediterranean are carrying out God's will.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 09:05:18 PM »

Visit:
1 London
2 Berlin [mainly because unlike the next 3 I haven't been to Berlin or London]
3/4 (tie) Paris/Madrid
5 Rome

Living:
1 Madrid
2 London
3 Rome
4 Paris
5 Berlin
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 09:52:51 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2021, 10:05:59 PM by Abdullah »

Live in London because it's an English-speaking city that I think I would feel very comfortable in.

Visit Rome because I've never been a fan of Paris (no offense to any Frenchmen here, feel free to change my mind, I'll admit I don't know much of the city). It always struck me as very overrated. I'm indifferent to Madrid and Berlin currently (once again being open to having my mind changed). Rome, though, I've always wanted to visit because of the food and numerous historical attractions (Yeah IK I should be a fan of Paris for these reasons but I like Italian food a lot more and the Colosseum and Vatican always struck me as more interesting than the Eiffel Tower and the Notre Dame Cathedral).

I would rather visit Moscow or Istanbul if they were options, though.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 03:02:03 AM »

I've been to London and Paris, it would be nice to visit the other 3, but Rome is the one I want to visit most.

To live, I'd chose London because I'm already reasonably familiar with the city and I don't speak French, German, Italian or Spanish.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 03:05:59 AM »

I’d live in London, visit Berlin or Rome.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 09:44:54 AM »

I've been to London, Paris, Berlin, and Madrid.

London seems like it would be a joy to live in. It's a delight to visit but I also had a pretty awful time the last time I was there, so, I dunno, bad "visit" associations through no fault of its own.

I am not a Paris person. The museums are incredible but I don't have any desire to spend more time there. Blech.

Berlin was surprisingly affordable, all-in-all, and such an interesting mix of styles and ambiances. Also, I'm gay, so well... lots of fun to be had. I gave it my visit vote.

Madrid was very enjoyable, although I was there in the summer when it was blindingly hot. It was a bit sterile in some ways, but I stayed in a neighborhood north of the central city that I enjoyed.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 10:33:55 AM »

Live and visit Paris
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2021, 11:49:38 AM »

The obvious live choice is London for professional reasons. Been to all but Rome and Madrid was by far my favorite (best city in Europe!) so I'll visit there, with Paris as the runner-up.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2021, 11:58:50 AM »

Live in Berlin for the music scene, visit Rome for the religious architecture.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2021, 12:19:40 PM »

Visit: I should not answer Rome because it is the only one I have been to so far, but I will do nonetheless because it seems to have a higher number and diversity of things which interest me than any other on the list.

Live in: Definitely Rome since I am Italian and have no particular interest in moving abroad.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2021, 01:43:34 PM »

Live in London, as it’s the only city that’s English speaking and I can only speak English.

Visit Rome, because, avatar.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2021, 02:07:29 PM »

Ich kann ein bisschen Deutsch sprechen. Vielleicht könnte ich in Berlin leben. Aber nur wenn viele Berliner Englisch sprechen. Oder mein Deutsch wird besser.

Also Rome would easily be a close second to Paris for visiting, that’s a pretty close toss-up now that I think about it. I actually really want to see Greece for some reason though, it’s near the top of places in Europe I’d like to visit.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2021, 02:21:26 PM »

I admit that I didn't visit London or Paris yet (though have been to France multiple times), but I really liked Berlin. Especially for all the history I'm fascinated of.

Ich kann ein bisschen Deutsch sprechen. Vielleicht könnte ich in Berlin leben. Aber nur wenn viele Berliner Englisch sprechen. Oder mein Deutsch wird besser.

Also Rome would easily be a close second to Paris for visiting, that’s a pretty close toss-up now that I think about it. I actually really want to see Greece for some reason though, it’s near the top of places in Europe I’d like to visit.

That's not bad! I'm glad I didn't have to learn it the other way around because German is much more difficult than English. Especially the grammar.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2021, 02:47:23 PM »

Live in London because it's an English-speaking city that I think I would feel very comfortable in.

Visit Rome because I've never been a fan of Paris (no offense to any Frenchmen here, feel free to change my mind, I'll admit I don't know much of the city). It always struck me as very overrated. I'm indifferent to Madrid and Berlin currently (once again being open to having my mind changed). Rome, though, I've always wanted to visit because of the food and numerous historical attractions (Yeah IK I should be a fan of Paris for these reasons but I like Italian food a lot more and the Colosseum and Vatican always struck me as more interesting than the Eiffel Tower and the Notre Dame Cathedral).

I would rather visit Moscow or Istanbul if they were options, though.

In regards to Paris, what I tell everyone is you basically have two Parises: Rive Gauche Paris (South of the River Seine, where you have the Latin Quarter, Boulevard Saint-Germain, Invalides, etc) and the Paris North of the Seine.

The part of Paris South of the Seine is absolutely magnificent, and makes a visit to Paris worth it. But I agree with you that I don't care for most of Paris North of the Seine either.

I also agree with you that I couldn't care less about the Eiffel Tower. However, I love Notre Dame, it's one of my favorite monuments in the world. I'd take it over the Colosseum or the Vatican any day.

I'll also point out that Paris isn't my favorite French city. My favorite is Lyon.

That being said, I think it's still the best of the major European capitals, even if it has flaws. It has more charm than London and is definitely more affordable.

And I actually found Rome kind of underwhelming. Other than the Roman ruins and the Vatican, I don't find there's a whole lot there. In Italy I definitely much preferred Florence.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2021, 02:49:27 PM »

I've visisted them all. Liked them all, except Rome, which is easily the most disspointing Italian city I have visited. Probably not helped because expectations are generally so high.

I could also live in any of them, except London, but that's only because I have lived in London, so it's kind of been-there-done-that already. I guess Paris would be my first choice, but that might be just because of familiarity and it has seeped into my subconscious by way of growing up with French culture. Although I guess my perception of what Paris is is not really what someone from outside the francophone world's would be.

By the way, not only is it perfectly possible to learn a foreign language, but one of the best ways to do so is by moving somewhere where they speak a different language to you. Basically two years to get comfortable as long as your expectations are realistic and you stick your neck out and try to use the language as much as possible

That's not bad! I'm glad I didn't have to learn it the other way around because German is much more difficult than English. Especially the grammar.

I didn't find German grammar that horrible to be honest. You get used to the Hauptsatz-Nebensatz structure pretty quickly, and German syntax is generally more straightforward than English. I mean sure, prepositions are tricky, but that's the case in every language; and the dative and accusative declinations are tricky, but they hardly impact your ability to be understood (and you can eaily just hide behind a schwa or a glottal stop if you aren't sure) - and they aren't any worse than the french accord du participe passé which is one of the stupidest grammatical structures in existence.

English grammar is easy, but it's spelling is ridiculous, so it washes out.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies