SurveyUSA - 100 US Senator Approval Ratings 08/06
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:43:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  SurveyUSA - 100 US Senator Approval Ratings 08/06
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SurveyUSA - 100 US Senator Approval Ratings 08/06  (Read 2998 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 17, 2006, 02:26:22 PM »
« edited: August 17, 2006, 02:33:58 PM by Adlai Stevenson »

Senator Kent Conrad has the highest approval rating in the Senate, 74%-21%.  Barack Obama's approval is at 73%-24%.  The highest ranking Republican Senator is once again Susan Collins of Maine at 72%-24%.

Conrad Burns is now ranked the most unpopular Senator, with a net disapproval of 16% at 39%-55%.  The second most unpopular Senator is retiring Democrat Mark Dayton at 41%-48%.  Robert Menendez is at 42%-43%.  Wayne Allard, Frank Lautenberg, George Voinovich, Richard Burr, Mike DeWine and Mel Martinez also all have higher disapprovals than approvals.

Finally, Senator Jim Talent has moved up in the ranks to a convincing 52%-41% net approval, Rick Santorum is at 48%-45% and Lincoln Chafee is at 51%-44%.

http://www.surveyusa.com/50State2006/100USSenatorApproval060817Approval.HTM
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 02:49:35 PM »

Now that is a trend line worth following.

Looks like NJ is still making up its mind about the new senator.

If he loses, DeWine can design a rollercoaster based on his recent approvals.

ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 03:18:42 PM »

They screwed up this month.  Maybe the rise in number of the other polls made them neglect this poll.  Kyl is way up this month, and Kit Bond is under Jim Talent in net approval, to note a few blips.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 05:19:00 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2006, 05:20:58 PM by Senator jerusalemcar5 »

Lieberman is falling, not surprisingly.

EDIT:  I suck at image posting.  If someone can't read that, you can just check the link.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 05:30:43 PM »

With a 55% approval rating, Maria Cantwell looks to be in pretty good shape for re-election...if, that is, she makes it through the primary without too much damage.

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 06:18:54 PM »

Finally everyone can see what I'm sayin about people didn't know much about Menendez, but now they hate him.  I wonder if this poll was taken before or after the Farber resignation, that is going to hurt Menendez.  Also, can't help but notice Santorum has a higher approval than Menendez.

Menendez is certainly taking a turn for the worst.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 08:18:49 PM »

Where's BOBBY?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 10:14:31 PM »

I love how he is such a terrible campaigner.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 10:16:30 PM »

Damn. Santorum's going to win. I know it. Sad
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 10:26:03 PM »

while I think Santorum has improved himslf, the one in 20 rule applies.  I believe they do the Senate, Pres, Gov polls together, ask the same people in the same time period, just release on different dates.  They had Bush @ 40% in PA, which is WELL above what he has had there in a long time,.  So if the poll is indeed the same group of people that explains the higher ratings.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 10:37:57 PM »

while I think Santorum has improved himslf, the one in 20 rule applies.  I believe they do the Senate, Pres, Gov polls together, ask the same people in the same time period, just release on different dates.  They had Bush @ 40% in PA, which is WELL above what he has had there in a long time,.  So if the poll is indeed the same group of people that explains the higher ratings.

Well, I ain't hearing nuttin out of the Bob Casey camp.  I heard plenty of ads from Santorum and I hate to say it they are good.  Booby needs to pluck his head out of his ass and fast.  He needs to attack.  Like I said, I know Allyson Schwartz would have by now and she would surely have the funds and support from the Southeast.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2006, 02:09:49 AM »

With a 55% approval rating, Maria Cantwell looks to be in pretty good shape for re-election...if, that is, she makes it through the primary without too much damage.

Maybe...though it says she is more popular in Eastern Washington than in Metro Seattle, so maybe this poll isn't very good...
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2006, 02:57:29 AM »

Maybe...though it says she is more popular in Eastern Washington than in Metro Seattle, so maybe this poll isn't very good...

Keep in mind the subsets tend to have higher MOE's than the poll as a whole due to the small smaple sizes, generally does even out.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2006, 03:22:13 PM »

Good news for Talent fans (of which I am not one). Santorum is still in terrible shape.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2006, 04:53:37 PM »

Looks like my Senior Senator, Mr. James Inhofe improved his standing ever so slightly, while my Junior Senator, Mr. Tom Coburn has lost support by just a hair.

Inhofe was at 45-45 in July and is at 48-40 in August.

Coburn was at 51-40 in July and is at 50-40 in August.

I'm anxious to see what the ratings are in September and October for both candidates.

Neither of them, of course, are up for re-election in 2006, but if this holds true in 2008 when Inhofe is up, then it could spell trouble for the Inhofe Senatorial Career.  If he were up in 2006, I would probably vote against Inhofe if the Democrat candidate were to my liking.  Inhofe is just way too conservative for my tastes.  I like someone who is moderate to moderately conservative.  Same goes for Coburn, since I voted for his Democrat opponent Brad Carson in 2004.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 04:55:31 PM »

Is Conrad Burns up for re-election in 2006, or is he safe for now?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2006, 04:59:15 PM »

Neither of them, of course, are up for re-election in 2006, but if this holds true in 2008 when Inhofe is up, then it could spell trouble for the Inhofe Senatorial Career.  If he were up in 2006, I would probably vote against Inhofe if the Democrat candidate were to my liking.  Inhofe is just way too conservative for my tastes.  I like someone who is moderate to moderately conservative.  Same goes for Coburn, since I voted for his Democrat opponent Brad Carson in 2004.

If the GOP is in trouble in OK, then the Dems must be in trouble in MA, Inhofe is rather safe.  And regarding Conard Burns, he's in one of the most competitive races.  Guess you don't follow too closely, actually probably not at all.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2006, 05:07:51 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2006, 05:09:35 PM by Maverick »

Yes, he is up for re-election, and Jon Tester is the Democratic nominee who is challenging him for his senate seat. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2006, 05:53:06 PM »

If the GOP is in trouble in OK, then the Dems must be in trouble in MA, Inhofe is rather safe.  And regarding Conard Burns, he's in one of the most competitive races.  Guess you don't follow too closely, actually probably not at all.

Oklahoma is more Democratic than what people give it credit for.  We are not a blood red state.  At the state and local levels we are actually more blue than red.  Inhofe and Coburn are probably safe, but they are definitely not guaranteed re-election.  Oklahoma is much more likely to go Democrat in a national election than Mass or New York going Republican or Wyoming and Utah going Democrat.

I actually live in one of the more Republican parts of Oklahoma (Northwest Oklahoma, 70 miles, or 1 hour 5 minutes east of the panhandle in Alva).  Woods County (Alva) is the only Oklahoma county not in the Bible Belt per se.  Since Alva is only 14 miles south of the Kansas state line, a lot of Kansas politics does seep down into Woods County.  Having said that, I am a moderate Republican, about ready to switch to the Democrat party as soon as our August 22 runoff is over.

As for not following closely, I do follow closely, but I do ask for clarification, especially from people who live in that Senator's or Representative's state, especially for lesser-known politicians such as Conrad Burns or Democrat Congressman Dan Boren of OK-2.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2006, 05:54:50 PM »

Yes, he is up for re-election, and Jon Tester is the Democratic nominee who is challenging him for his senate seat. 

Thanks for the info.  Given Burns approval numbers, or the lack thereof, would you say that the seat is going Democrat in November or is he still safe.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2006, 05:55:35 PM »

Thanks for the info.  Given Burns approval numbers, or the lack thereof, would you say that the seat is going Democrat in November or is he still safe.

Look at the polls. Last one was tied, but it appears that Tester has the edge.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2006, 05:59:05 PM »

Look at the polls. Last one was tied, but it appears that Tester has the edge.

Still predicting a Tester win, but after the comment he made to the fireman boosted his poll numbers, think Burnsie can squeak it out.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2006, 06:31:37 PM »

I personally have it predicted that this seat will go Democratic come November, especially when you consider Burn's ethical troubles combined with the fact that he has tied himself too closely to President Bush, as well as a strong Democratic challenger who has styled himself as a populist.  Either way, though, this will be a very close race.

Whatever else can be said for this senate seat, no one but the most extreme right-wing hack believes this seat is safe. 
Jacobtm

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2006, 11:15:19 PM »

Top 10:
8 Democrats, 2 Republicans

Bottom 10:
3 Democrats, 7 Republicans.

The 2 Republicans in the top 10 are Collins and Snowe, who hardly count.

2 of the 3 Democrats in the bottom 10 are from NJ, and deserve the poor approval just because of their state.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2006, 05:47:35 PM »

Top 10:
8 Democrats, 2 Republicans

Bottom 10:
3 Democrats, 7 Republicans.

The 2 Republicans in the top 10 are Collins and Snowe, who hardly count.

2 of the 3 Democrats in the bottom 10 are from NJ, and deserve the poor approval just because of their state.

Amen to that, NJ is the worst state in the country! Sad
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies