Is the public desensitized on scandals by politicians?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:21:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is the public desensitized on scandals by politicians?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is the public desensitized on scandals by politicians?  (Read 483 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 08, 2021, 08:37:42 AM »

While Mr. Trump is just an extreme example of a public officeholder not having to pay any price for a scandal, he's far from the only one. Most prominent examples from today are Gaetz and Cuomo. It seems to be a pattern that politicians who get involved in a major scandal just refuse to resign and after few days of public outcry and criticism, nobody seems to care any longer.

In the past, politicians resigned from office for stuff far less than examples from recent years. Has the public been desensitized on any wrongdoing, legal or moral? Or are these just a signs of a short-lived news cycle, polarization and neither side wants its people to resign in disgrace? So far Al Franken is the only example of the opposite pattern.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 09:02:04 AM »

While Mr. Trump is just an extreme example of a public officeholder not having to pay any price for a scandal, he's far from the only one. Most prominent examples from today are Gaetz and Cuomo. It seems to be a pattern that politicians who get involved in a major scandal just refuse to resign and after few days of public outcry and criticism, nobody seems to care any longer.

In the past, politicians resigned from office for stuff far less than examples from recent years. Has the public been desensitized on any wrongdoing, legal or moral? Or are these just a signs of a short-lived news cycle, polarization and neither side wants its people to resign in disgrace? So far Al Franken is the only example of the opposite pattern.

I think people are a little desensitized to "common" scandals like harassment, honestly. I think if Cuomo had these allegations released in 2016 or so the response would be far more intense.

I think more "juicy" scandals still cause a lot of genuine outrage, but hyper-polarization and a general lack of shame from modern politicians (which I think is generated by hyper partisanship and the echo chamber of social media) also makes politicians less likely to resign than they used to
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 12:06:18 PM »

No, Roy Moore exists.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 12:09:21 PM »

That was 3 years ago and still he almost got away with it.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 12:33:36 PM »

The degree to which the public has cared about scandals has waxed and waned throughout history, but there's been burnout for ages. The corruption of the Gilded Age meant a lot less to people after the cynicism engendered by the Crédit Mobilier fiasco and other corrupt incidents of the Grant administration in the 1870s, and in a lot of ways that attitude has persisted.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 12:38:42 PM »

Probably not permanently, but I think Trump has now set the bar so low that it's hard to get people riled up about scandals anymore. In theory this shouldn't include Democrats but considering their proneness to whataboutery alas it probably will, I'm sure the next time some Democrat in Congress gets caught up in a major scandal we'll see loads of stupid "Why should Rep. ______ resign if Trump didn't?" moronic takes.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 04:01:04 PM »

It's not good that the new political strategy seems to be: do not resign, do not apologize, and in some cases if you must apologize give a lame general apology/denial.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 05:40:06 PM »

Yes, because scandal-worthy behavior itself has become normalized by garbage politicians on both sides of the aisle over the last decade.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 06:10:23 PM »

Then there are others (me included) who are waiting for politicians in general to start acting in the best interests of we the people. Do not claim they are acting in the best interests of us, but actually doing it. Walking the talk.

Until then, I skim the crap they pull. I don't want to contaminate myself with it. I have better things to do with my time. People always have the option of not listening to the latest BS, and of holding politicians accountable. Let's hold them accountable, ALL of them.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 06:49:05 PM »

No, Gaetz story, George Floyd trial and mass murdered are gonna energize D's in a VBM Election

WARNOCK is gonna win in Runoff but Kemp will be Reelected
Rubio is liked by Minorities, Gaetz is an ally of Mccarthy and DeSantis and DeSantis will lose to Crist

That's why Ds have won PVI and Rs haven't won PVI since Hillary lost

If D's get a Supermajority, Afro Americans will get Reparations that were given to Native Americans and Japanese by Ronald Reagan in the form of Per Capita
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 07:53:37 PM »

Its just that things are so partisan now , that the consequences for a political party forcing a major figure out due to alienating large parts of the base is harder than not doing anything is given how few swing voters there are less.

In 1974 it was the exact opposite with the consequences for a party sticking by such a figure was higher than the party forcing them out which is why the GOP acted the way they did toward Nixon.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 07:55:07 PM »

Then there are others (me included) who are waiting for politicians in general to start acting in the best interests of we the people. Do not claim they are acting in the best interests of us, but actually doing it. Walking the talk.

Until then, I skim the crap they pull. I don't want to contaminate myself with it. I have better things to do with my time. People always have the option of not listening to the latest BS, and of holding politicians accountable. Let's hold them accountable, ALL of them.

At some point the people have to be blamed as well for being so partisan that they demand loyalty towards party from their fellow politicians rather than being principled.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 12:20:46 AM »

Could the 24/7 celebrity “scandals” of ~2004-2007 also be a factor? Maybe being told that bald Britney Spears was a “scandal” taught people not to be shocked by “scandals”?
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 12:31:33 PM »

It's not good that the new political strategy seems to be: do not resign, do not apologize, and in some cases if you must apologize give a lame general apology/denial.

I can't think of a single moment in my life when that wasn't the gameplan.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies