How many of the statements on the "in this house we believe" sign do you agree with?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 05:36:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How many of the statements on the "in this house we believe" sign do you agree with?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How many of the statements on the "in this house we believe" sign do you agree with?  (Read 748 times)
wimp
themiddleman
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2021, 06:34:48 PM »

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 07:00:15 PM »

They're all generic things that are actually meant to mean something else.

Do I agree that "no human is illegal"?  What does that even mean?  A person is not illegal, an activity is.  Osama bin Laden was not "illegal" but blowing up the World Trade Centers is an illegal activity.  As is sneaking across the border.

"Love is love" is just a tautology, does that mean I have to support 13 year olds getting hormone blockers because they watched some YouTube videos and decided to form an identity around being trans?

I don't even know what "Kindness is Everything" actually means but I'm willing to bet there's a whole bunch of policies grouped together behind that generic, agreeable phrase, many of which I don't agree with.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 07:22:19 PM »

I agree with all of them (sane, normal)
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 07:33:55 PM »

Do I agree that "no human is illegal"?  What does that even mean?  A person is not illegal, an activity is.  Osama bin Laden was not "illegal" but blowing up the World Trade Centers is an illegal activity.  As is sneaking across the border.

"Love is love" is just a tautology, does that mean I have to support 13 year olds getting hormone blockers because they watched some YouTube videos and decided to form an identity around being trans?

I don't even know what "Kindness is Everything" actually means but I'm willing to bet there's a whole bunch of policies grouped together behind that generic, agreeable phrase, many of which I don't agree with.

...what?
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 07:36:35 PM »

...what?
I mean, I decided to form an identity around being trans at that age.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 07:38:07 PM »

1) Every human life matters
2) Women are humans
3) People cannot become themselves illegal under any law code I know of
4) Tautology
5) I disagree. If you kindly administer me a lethal drug, I am still freaking dying!

So apparently I agree with four out of five?
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 07:59:14 PM »

...what?
I mean, I decided to form an identity around being trans at that age.

Solely because of a YouTube video, no doubt
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 08:11:37 PM »

Black lives matter: Obviously agreed but it's an insanely low bar. Even slave owners thought this to some degree. It's much more significant to believe that everyone has equal natural rights regardless of race.

Women's rights are human rights: Agreed but I suspect that we could find disagreement on what constitutes "women's rights."

No human is illegal: A nonsense objection to the term "illegal immigrant," which qualifies the type of immigration and not the type of person. This would be rather like responding to the term "counterfeit printer" by saying "no human is counterfeit!" So I can't agree or disagree with this.

Science is real: Agreed but another insanely low bar. Even if I thought science was always wrong I could still think it was real.

Love is love: Tautology so impossible to disagree. Obviously it's possible to disagree about what love is, and how society should treat different manifestations of it.

Kindness is everything: It would be dumb to agree with this one tbh.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 08:17:00 PM »

...what?

He just needs a couple Minions to complete the boomer aesthetic he's going for.
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 08:23:26 PM »

2) Women are humans
4) Tautology
5) I disagree. If you kindly administer me a lethal drug, I am still freaking dying!

There are 6 statements. I think you missed "science is real."
͘
RandomInternetUser
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 08:23:43 PM »

BLM: yes
Women's rights: Women aren't property in my eyes.
No Human is Illegal: I'm not a Marxist so I don't agree with this statement.
Science is Real: I don't subscribe to Lysenkoism
Respect is more important in my opinion.

Secularism pretending to be Christianity. These signs make me feel that people subconsciously want a source of moral authority.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 08:23:50 PM »

I disagree with all of them (sane, don't believe in simplistic platitudes and meaningless aphorisms, etc.)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 09:01:16 PM »

I disagree with all of them (sane, don't believe in simplistic platitudes and meaningless aphorisms, etc.)

Disagreeing with Black Lives Matter? Have you just gone completely mask-off at this point?
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 09:10:08 PM »

Disagreeing with Black Lives Matter? Have you just gone completely mask-off at this point?

The fact that you capitalized that statement shows exactly what I mean
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2021, 04:11:13 AM »

2) Women are humans
4) Tautology

There are 6 statements. I think you missed "science is real."

Indeed I did. Science is not a fantasy so I guess make that five out of six.

It goes without saying that this is all meaningless platitudes but I thought deconstructive literalism was more interesting than brushing off.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2021, 05:26:09 AM »

Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2021, 05:43:51 AM »

Is this meant to be a parody of the first one?
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2021, 07:33:05 AM »

BLM: I used to support BLM and now I do not say BLM or ALM but I support legal equality for all people. I think some mild reforms are needed with regard to policing like those pursued by Fmr. Pres. Trump and Sen. Scott (R-SC) but I don't agree with defunding the police or the anti-police sentiment of many in the BLM movement.

Women's Rights are Human Rights: I support legal equality for women but I suspect this slogan neccessitates being pro-choice, which I am not.

No Human Is Illegal: I have a liberal stance on immigration but objectively illegal immigration is still a crime in the United States even if I, personally, do broadly support 'amnesty.' I don't support open borders.

Science Is Real: This is obviously a pro-COVID regulations slogan, but there's no telling what all it concludes. I support wearing a mask, social distancing and I have received my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine but this is a stupid slogan.

Love Is Love: This is, in my view, a pro-SSM (or broadly pro-LGBT) slogan, so it's one that I support.

Kindness is Everything: We should be charitable and love our neighbor but this slogan, especially mixed in with a bunch of political slogans, is a bit silly.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 08:28:42 AM »

Science Is Real: This is obviously a pro-COVID regulations slogan, but there's no telling what all it concludes. I support wearing a mask, social distancing and I have received my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine but this is a stupid slogan.
This sign came out in like 2016. Nothing to do with Covid and everything to do with climate change.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2021, 09:17:40 AM »

1. Actually the most contentious statement of these, and true or false based on unpredictable factors. Being ignored by most posters here because it becomes true or false or invalid based on where it is placed.
2. Yes, but acknowledging that black lives matter doesn't imply the objective correctness of or even agreement with the movement.
3. Yes, human rights apply to human females as well as human males. However, this does not imply that abortion is a human right.
4. A human cannot be itself a crime. The closest humans come to being a crime is being a child of rape, a crime deserving of death for the convicted perpetrator. However that human did not commit the crime as they did not legally exist when it was committed. However, this does not imply that trespassing in a foreign country is not a crime, because it is.
5. Yes. This one is easiest and I also agree with what it implies.
6. Yes. Apples are apples and oranges are oranges. Utterly meaningless statement.
7. No. There are things that exist that are not the aspect of Kindness. Driving a car or eating a hamburger are not kind. They are not usually unkind either but that's not the point.

5.5/7
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2021, 10:12:10 AM »

This sign came out in like 2016. Nothing to do with Covid and everything to do with climate change.

Horrible slogan, then. I support climate action but this is a dumb slogan.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2021, 10:47:12 AM »

The issue isn't with the (simplistic) statements themselves. It's that posting this sort of sign is pretty clear-cut performative activism, especially when it's in a neighborhood where virtually no one is going to disagree.

One that I will address, however is "kindness is everything." While I agree that it's a bad statement to take literally, since obviously many other things matter, I do think that kindness is undervalued in our society that seems to have a fetish for "assholes with a cause" (at least when we personally agree with said cause.) I think that there needs to be differentiation made between kindness and appearing nice. Doing something obviously harmful with a smile on your face or while saying something seemingly positive or motivational is not being "kind." Nor is feigning concern for someone without actually doing anything. Kindness, to me, implies actually acting in good faith to help others, without any ulterior motives. If more people acted in a way that shows care and empathy for others instead of acting within their own selfish interests, that legitimately would make society better.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2021, 11:14:38 AM »

Also “science is real.” Well duh science is real, but it’s also constantly changing as our knowledge expands. That’s kind of the whole point. And not all scientists agree on everything. For something like climate change, yeah they pretty much do (on the basics at least, not necessarily all the specifics), but other issues are much more hotly contested. It’s a bit weird to me how some liberals treat “science” as some kind of flawless, all-knowing religion. That’s like the exact opposite of what science is supposed to be. It’s not dogmatic or set in stone, it’s a process of inquiry. “Science” doesn’t say anything by itself so it’s odd to hear people say “science says...” as if quoting scripture.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2021, 12:51:04 PM »

You know exactly what it means, so why don't you explain why you disagree with the movement?
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2021, 01:16:54 PM »

You know exactly what it means, so why don't you explain why you disagree with the movement?

I've explained my position on this elsewhere (it pretty much boils down to substituting race in place of socio-economics), but this thread is about statements, not the movements behind them. Besides, I highly doubt you're really interested in or open to hearing my takes anyway.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies