MD-SEN 2024: Cardin retiring, Hogan IN
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 06:36:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MD-SEN 2024: Cardin retiring, Hogan IN
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18
Author Topic: MD-SEN 2024: Cardin retiring, Hogan IN  (Read 21066 times)
oldtimer
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: February 09, 2024, 02:22:40 PM »

I will say, though, I did not have Larry Hogan running for Senate on my bingo card… he declined to run in the past, and said he had no interest in the Senate. With the way he’s criticized Trump, I thought a No Labels/third party presidential bid from Hogan was more likely than a Senate run.

I can't see him beating Haley's margins in the primary, feels like an incoming embarrassment.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #251 on: February 09, 2024, 02:30:38 PM »

I wonder if he'll hit 40%.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #252 on: February 09, 2024, 02:32:59 PM »

I will say, though, I did not have Larry Hogan running for Senate on my bingo card… he declined to run in the past, and said he had no interest in the Senate. With the way he’s criticized Trump, I thought a No Labels/third party presidential bid from Hogan was more likely than a Senate run.

Hogan is Republicans Bullock
Spectator
United States

« Reply #253 on: February 09, 2024, 02:38:40 PM »

His chance to run was 2022 without a presidential race atop the ticket and while he still had the influence of the governor's office behind him. He wouldn't have won then, but it probably still would have been a Van Hollen win in the teens.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #254 on: February 09, 2024, 02:45:08 PM »

Endorsing Hogan
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #255 on: February 09, 2024, 02:45:14 PM »

Good candidate quality is honestly less important than poor candidate quality. The bigger issue for Hogan is that both Trone and Alsobrooks are fairly close to Generic D in different ways, and neither of them are likely to give him the opening he needs to make up a lot of ground.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #256 on: February 09, 2024, 02:49:12 PM »

Wait, Hogan is really running? Assuming he wins the primary, this would be bad news for Democrats and at least give either Throne or Alsobrooks a race for their money. However, I expect partisanship to bail them out.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #257 on: February 09, 2024, 03:01:21 PM »

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #258 on: February 09, 2024, 03:04:57 PM »

I disagree because Bullock was running against an incumbent. If it was an open seat, I think Bullock could have absolutely come within 5 points. The better comparison for this race would be Bredesen in 2018 TN.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #259 on: February 09, 2024, 03:18:08 PM »

I disagree because Bullock was running against an incumbent. If it was an open seat, I think Bullock could have absolutely come within 5 points. The better comparison for this race would be Bredesen in 2018 TN.

I'd say a more apt comparison would be Linda Lingle (who was also two years removed from the end of her tenure as governor when she ran for Senate).
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #260 on: February 09, 2024, 03:54:42 PM »

A pretty bad sign for Biden's chances nationally at this point - internal polls must be interesting now if Hogan thinks he has a chance.

Of course he thinks he has a chance, he has 100x more name recognition than any of his Dem opponents. Good luck to him trying to outrun Trump by 30+ points on margin.
Trump will probably lose MD by 25 given where national polling and crosstabs are. Hogan won't win, but it could be only 10-15 points.

Maryland is one of the states with the worst demographic fit for Trump. I would expect he will do even worse there than in 2020
Maryland is very non-white, which means that racial depolarization helps Trump here. Also, Trump is doing about 7 points better nationally than 2020.

Maryland is very black, which means racial depolarization won’t be happening here. Trump is not getting massive improvements with the black vote. A few points from swings in inner cities and rural black voters? Sure. Racial depolarization is mainly Hispanics shifting right and whites shifting left. And Maryland has a lot of highly-educated blacks, who are not swinging to Trump regardless.

Maryland is the worst state demographically for the GOP. Lots of college-educated whites, very large black population. Hogan has no chance.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #261 on: February 09, 2024, 04:07:53 PM »

A pretty bad sign for Biden's chances nationally at this point - internal polls must be interesting now if Hogan thinks he has a chance.

Of course he thinks he has a chance, he has 100x more name recognition than any of his Dem opponents. Good luck to him trying to outrun Trump by 30+ points on margin.
Trump will probably lose MD by 25 given where national polling and crosstabs are. Hogan won't win, but it could be only 10-15 points.

Maryland is one of the states with the worst demographic fit for Trump. I would expect he will do even worse there than in 2020
Maryland is very non-white, which means that racial depolarization helps Trump here. Also, Trump is doing about 7 points better nationally than 2020.

Maryland is very black, which means racial depolarization won’t be happening here. Trump is not getting massive improvements with the black vote. A few points from swings in inner cities and rural black voters? Sure. Racial depolarization is mainly Hispanics shifting right and whites shifting left. And Maryland has a lot of highly-educated blacks, who are not swinging to Trump regardless.

Maryland is the worst state demographically for the GOP. Lots of college-educated whites, very large black population. Hogan has no chance.
Polls show Trump getting nearly 20% of the black vote, and turnout could easily be far lower.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #262 on: February 09, 2024, 04:14:43 PM »

Polls show Trump getting nearly 20% of the black vote, and turnout could easily be far lower.

Trump won’t get 20% of the black vote. The black voters saying they’ll vote for Trump probably don’t even show up to vote.
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #263 on: February 09, 2024, 04:15:08 PM »

Trump is not getting 20% of the black vote, period.
To the extent that he does make gains, it won’t be among highly-educated blacks that are disproportionately represented in Maryland, so we should expect less gains there than nationally.
Furthermore, kind of black people who flip to Trump 2024 are low-propensity voters, so lowering turnout should lower the percentage of black voters Trump/Hogan wins (although it would increase the percentage they win in Maryland overall.

In short, Hogan has no chance.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #264 on: February 09, 2024, 04:17:08 PM »

Trump is not getting 20% of the black vote, period.
To the extent that he does make gains, it won’t be among highly-educated blacks that are disproportionately represented in Maryland, so we should expect less gains there than nationally.
Furthermore, kind of black people who flip to Trump 2024 are low-propensity voters, so lowering turnout should lower the percentage of black voters Trump/Hogan wins (although it would increase the percentage they win in Maryland overall.

In short, Hogan has no chance.

Actually it does increase Trump’s vote share of black voters. Winning 1 out of 20 black voters is a higher share than 1 out of 30.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #265 on: February 09, 2024, 04:17:24 PM »

Trump won’t get 20% of the black vote. The black voters saying they’ll vote for Trump probably don’t even show up to vote.
It could be Biden black voters that don't show up.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #266 on: February 09, 2024, 04:18:50 PM »

It could be Biden black voters that don't show up.

Then Trump’s vote share amongst black voters goes up even if he doesn’t get any new black voters. But for Trump to get 20% of the black vote, black Dem turnout has to be abysmal.
ralstonfan65
Rookie
United States
« Reply #267 on: February 09, 2024, 05:20:03 PM »

The non-whites in MD are much more college-educated that nationally. PG county has the highest level of college attainment for AAs than anywhere else in the country.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #268 on: February 09, 2024, 05:24:17 PM »

HUUUUUGE Recruit indeed!

Whoever convinced him to do that deserves huge props here!

He's this cycle's Phil Bredesen for you.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #269 on: February 09, 2024, 05:34:08 PM »

It's Likely D because Throne has the money to beat Hogan
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #270 on: February 09, 2024, 06:15:42 PM »

If Hogan even makes it past the R primary. Far from a given.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #271 on: February 09, 2024, 08:16:00 PM »

Reminder that Larry Hogan could outrun partisanship by as much as Susan Collins did in 2020 and he would still lose easily. In fact, he could outrun partisanship by twice as much as he would probably still lose.
Miked0920
Rookie
United States
« Reply #272 on: February 09, 2024, 09:36:16 PM »

Id say Likely D is a reasonable prediction, Id give Hogan around a 15% chance of winning if he's the nominee, if he somehow loses in the primary which is unlikely Dems are virtually a 100% lock to hold the seat.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #273 on: February 09, 2024, 09:51:00 PM »

And so it begins.

His follow-up tweet is even funnier-

He knows what happened to those two people, right?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #274 on: February 09, 2024, 10:15:41 PM »

Likely does not mean Tossup.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies